RC-44 Removable Media System (Hybrid Arts).

This is the gallery. It's where we put the pictures upon pictures of us all showing off our dens and collections.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

RC-44 Removable Media System (Hybrid Arts).

Postby Atarieterno » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:42 pm

This high technology (in 1988) has arrived today at home: "Removable Media System RC-44" of the legendary company Hybrid Arts.
It is a SyQuest SCSI unit in rack format, with removable cartridges of 44 Mby and size 5 1/4 ".
Any Atari (with the right cable) can use it as a removable hard drive, with perfect operation in the SCSI chain and autoboot.

RC-44 Hybrid Arts (1).jpg

RC-44 Hybrid Arts (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

atarian90
Atari User
Atari User

Re: RC-44 Removable Media System (Hybrid Arts).

Postby atarian90 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:06 am

Nice find! Weird to see that it looks like the ACSI/DMA ports are missing from the back (covered with cardboard). I guess this was made for one of their hard disk recording systems that used SCSI only.

Also surprised it's a 2U rack system, but only has room for one hard drive since it only has 1 SCSI ID selector. With that much empty room, I would have built it with an empty drive bay for a second drive.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:57 am

RC44 Removable Media System (Hybrid Arts): quick manual in German.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:25 pm

The SyQuest drive SQ555 that includes the RC-44 device is also used by the Atari MegaFile 44, the ToadFile 44, the SQ-44 of "Carter Graphics and Computers", E-mu Systems RM45, and probably many others.
Here is the SQ555 user manual in English:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gnmg1isvi ... yQuest.pdf

SyQuest SQ400 - protección de escritura (UK-2).jpg
Last edited by Atarieterno on Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:58 pm

IIRC, my Syquest was from "Carter Graphics and Computer" in a shoebox housing.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:21 am

wongck wrote:IIRC, my Syquest was from "Carter Graphics and Computer" in a shoebox housing.

SQ-44 Carter Graphics and Computer.jpg

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Labels, stickers and booklets that are included in the SQ400 disc/cartridge case:

SQ400 - 02.jpg

SQ400 - 01.jpg

SQ400 - 03.jpg

SQ400 - 04.jpg

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:37 pm

SyQuest cartridge - 01.jpg

SyQuest cartridge - 02.jpg

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:07 am

SyQuest cartridge - 03.jpg

SyQuest cartridge - 04.jpg

atarian90
Atari User
Atari User

Postby atarian90 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:27 am

Nice. :D Lots of memories in those pictures. I still have my original Carter Graphics "Compact" Syquest drive model that is shown above, but replaced the mechanism with the 200MB model after the original 44MB model went bad. It was really nice how small it was so I could bring it along to places (mostly my Atari user group meetings). People liked how small it was. Other people used ugly ass PC cases that looked hideous next to the sleek ST cases. :oops:

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:26 am

atarian90 wrote:Nice find! Weird to see that it looks like the ACSI/DMA ports are missing from the back (covered with cardboard). I guess this was made for one of their hard disk recording systems that used SCSI only.

Also surprised it's a 2U rack system, but only has room for one hard drive since it only has 1 SCSI ID selector. With that much empty room, I would have built it with an empty drive bay for a second drive.

Dear mate;
Hybrid Arts probably had the 2U rack format as standard for their devices, providing a homogeneous and elegant look. With this format the ADAP, RC-44, CD-ROM and others were included; They even had the rack housing for the Atari Mega ST.

ADAP - Hybrid Arts.jpg

My RC-44 unit does not have the ACSI-SCSI adapter ICD board, because it was optional and its previous owner would connect the chained device in another way or with the external ICD Link-2 adapter. I have that board on other devices, for example on a Protar ProFile hard disk; but as it is said in my country: "It is not good to undress a Saint to dress another."
I would like to imitate the rack layout of the previous photo, and my intention is to replace the SyQuest unit of my RC-44 with a Yamaha CD burner and a hard drive, both of which fit perfectly inside and I think the power supply can support them (indicates a maximum of 50W). So I could avoid that ugly PC tower that has those components and place them next to the effects processor, the amplifier and the C-Lab MK-X.
But first I need to paint in black the front of the Yamaha recorder.

RC-44 abierto.jpg

Social Media

Return to “Gallery”