I always wanted a TT back when I was in my mid teens and owned an STE.
A hard drive, higher screen resolutions and a lot more CPU horsepower ticked all the boxes for me, plus I thought the design, as with the ST, was really cool.
Well now I finally have one, courtesy of a purchase from another forum member.
It's got 2MB of ST RAM, 16MB of TT RAM, a 2GB hard drive, a 68882 FPU and a Cattamaran accelerator board (which doesn't appear to be doing anything, but more on that later).
Overall it's in good working condition but I can be pretty fussy about stuff so I want to correct a few things and the first thing on the list was to give it a good clean by pulling the whole thing apart.
It's as dusty inside as you might expect a 25 year old computer to be:
(does anyone have any idea what this ultra fine wire is doing disconnected and wrapped up in tape?)
but after some gentle cleaning work with cotton buds soaked in isopropyl alcohol the motherboard starts to look like new:
The underside of the board has some iffy looking parts (opinions?):
The next thing to sort out is the case, the lower half has started to yellow, the top is a little dirty and marked in places but compared to the bottom the color is much better. The keyboard has properly yellowed though, looks really nasty.
I decided to try and restore the original color and after reading up on retrobrite treatments I decided to take a slightly different path.
The retrobrite process has a few flaws I don't like, or opportunities for screw ups to be more accurate.
I don't like the risks of having to brush a homemade paste on (getting it even and keeping it wet so it doesn't dry out in the sun), and the strength of hydrogen peroxide people are using, especially combined with laundry boosters feels more like impatience than anything, so I decided to stick to the hydrogen peroxide, but at a mere 3% concentration and fully submerge the parts in it. This should help avoid any uneveness, blooming or any other risks around strong chemicals. But it might not work or take a long time. First time I've ever done this so...
I decided to start with the bottom half of the case as it's yellowed more than the top and will be less visible to the eye if I do mess something up.
Amazon wanted $8 for 32oz of 3% peroxide, but my local dollar store had the exact same bottles in stock at a $1, so I grabbed all they had, 10 bottles, and a 23" by 16" x 6" clear plastic container to put the parts in, hoping there would be enough liquid to submerge the parts. Turns out there isn't enough for the top of the case, but the bottom was just about submerged. I covered the container with plastic wrap to keep the smell in and evaporation to a minimum, covered the stickers on the base with clear packing tape cut to size and put the whole thing on the window ledge (no garden as I live in apartment).
You can see the bubbles doing their thing...
Naturally as soon as I did this the clouds rolled in and the rains came, so UV light would be limited, but such is life...
I left it for 6 hours and then rinsed the whole thing off.
I realized I should have rotated the container so that all sides got some UV, lesson learned, but the side exposed to the daylight, the rear panel, has massively improved in terms of color. It has some slight yellowing still on the very edges, but it's a much greater improvement than I expected given the amount of light and strength of liquid I used. Very pleased.
I now have some cheap fluid coming from Amazon (oxydiser that is equivalent to 7% hydrogen peroxide), 4 gallons of the stuff for $36, which should be enough to do the case top, keyboard and redo the bottom. Fingers crossed...