mouse problems with arkanoid

A section to cover all the different problems encountered by running game x on system y! Whether it's as simple as a non-STE compatible game through to h/drive installable games. Discuss them all in here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: mouse problems with arkanoid

Postby Mug UK » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:03 pm

Now I'm sure I've tried this in the past and XP has moaned at me as it wouldn't let me format a disk at the DOS prompt .. will try it tonight (not that I'm disbelieving you - just vague memories of errors cropping up on a previous attempt)
Having sold 99.9% of my 1300+ collection of originals, I'm taking a bit of a back seat on the forum. I'll still do the front-of-house admin tasks as and when they're required but, for now, I'm enjoying my Xbox 360 time too much :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Heavy Stylus » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:25 pm

XP definitely moans if you try and use the old '720' switch, but by specifying tracks/sectors directly as above it works.

However, I've only used this on my XP pc (using both internal and USB drives), so I don't know if it works for *everyone*.
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
The Essential Discmag for Retro Gamers!

http://www.myspace.com/heavystylus
Usual myspace crap.

http://tinyurl.com/heavystylus
Facebook
Heavy Stylus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:44 pm

arkanoidfan1 wrote:i have a high density 1.44mb disk, so i have put some tape over the hole you mentioned. when i try to use floimg with the disk like this, it says boot read error. yet when i do it with no tape it reads the disk? I'm going to see if i can find a double density disk in my loft. are there any other programs you can suggest for trying to get this done!!
thanks again

You'd need to re-format the disk to Double Density as well - they generally come pre-formatted at 1.44MB
Thermopylae is now an Enemy Island!
Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ppera » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:16 pm

Heavy Stylus wrote:
ppera wrote:720K, 800K, 820K is all same in practice. 'Special' format is not so special. Only XP is dumb, and can not work with them (it was much better with Win 95).
From that reason people needs to make floppy utilities for WIn XP, to support old computers.

Not sure if this is what PPera is referring to, but contrary to popular belief (and even the Microsoft website) it *IS* possible to format a standard 720KB DS DD disk under XP....

It is mentioned on my site and here in guide by myself in Tools section. Why you think that Wiki will make situation better ? :D
People just don't like to read instructions...
Point is in that, that every floppy has parameters of it's geometry in bootsector, so driver can read variety of formats, as long as they fit on floppy. It is how Atari ST TOS works with floppies. Don't mix it with Desktop formatter, which is very simplified and limited. From praxis we know that Ataris read much, much formats.
In Win, DOS only predefined couple format is usable.
ppera

Previous

Return to Games - Compatibility Issues etc.