Games that support Jaguar controllers?

A section to cover all the different problems encountered by running game x on system y! Whether it's as simple as a non-STE compatible game through to h/drive installable games. Discuss them all in here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

simonsunnyboy

Re: Games that support Jaguar controllers?

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:48 am

Most Paradize titles beside Pooz support the Jagpad aswell.

Penta
Nuclear Waste Dump
Attackwave
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

penguin
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby penguin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:17 am

AtariZoll wrote:
penguin wrote:...
Bit of a chicken and egg problem. When the STE was introduced, there were no controllers to support it. But why introduce controllers when there are no games that support it? And at a time when the Amiga was the more popular game computer?.
A bundle would've been the way to go, like the Trojan Light Phazer. But that's a bit too much investment to expect in a computer like the STE, which had been neglected by Atari. Things might've been different had Atari bundled the PowerPad with every STE sold...

That's interesting idea. Let see approx. how much costed adding those 2 ports: 2 connectors, 6 chips, number of passive components + support for it in big MCU chip - I would say about 10 $ . And to add that 2 of 6 chips (2x LM556) are only for analog inputs, which were just unsupported by controllers and SW. Manufacturing of PowerPad was in close price range to it.

I can only assume that at the time the STE design was finalised, Atari expected to have a new game console coming out soon. I switched from a 520STM to the STE - finally a 1040ST with easy user-accessible joystick ports and I couldn't use my joysticks with it. It's very odd that Atari spent additional money and R&D on these ports, when their aim was always to offer the ST as cheaply as possible, even if it meant restricting the machine's capability (single side drive) or offer machines with limited RAM (520STE, Falcon with 1 MB).

Atari originally planned to publish some games for the Falcon - assuming they would've been released before the Jaguar, that'd be the time when the PowerPad would reach stores.
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: http://www.atariuptodate.de
st-computer magazine - http://st-computer.atariuptodate.de/

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:24 pm

joska wrote:
AtariZoll wrote:As main problem I see that STE with it's specs just arrived on market too late. In 1987 it would be pretty much attractive. In 1989 people just expected more - better graphic in first place.

I don't know, I didn't buy an STE until 1991 and the only competition in that pricerange was the A500. To get better graphics and sound you'd have to buy a PC with very expensive add-on cards at a total cost of atleast four new STE's... I think the STE's main problem was that Atari made the decision to kill it by launching the £150 STFM a few months after releasing the STE.

Yeah, that was pretty dumb of them. Kind of a typical 'let's dump this' move. I agree with the lack of Analog ports on the TT/Mega STe, they should have been included there.

I would also agree with the bundle, developers definitely would have added more support if everyone had a nice gamepad. Though at the time, what computers were shipping with gamepads? Even these days most people don't game with a gamepad on their PC. Granted, I'm weird, 'cause I have game controllers coming out of my ears...
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

penguin
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby penguin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:02 pm

I would also agree with the bundle, developers definitely would have added more support if everyone had a nice gamepad. Though at the time, what computers were shipping with gamepads? Even these days most people don't game with a gamepad on their PC. Granted, I'm weird, 'cause I have game controllers coming out of my ears...

My first home computer (C64) came with the horrible Commodore joystick, but it was a special game bundle. It's different for the STE though - if you want to introduce a new kind of controller, it's best to bundle it with the system to get more developer support. If developers know that every STE owner also owns a PowerPad, the few games that used some STE features would've likely supported the Pad as well.
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: http://www.atariuptodate.de
st-computer magazine - http://st-computer.atariuptodate.de/

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:05 pm

leech wrote:Yeah, that was pretty dumb of them. Kind of a typical 'let's dump this' move.

It was even worse. This wasn't old stock, but a revised STFM that was built to be cheap. So they knew what to do to squeeze the last drop out of their computer range before it was over. I'm quite sure that by 1990 Atari had already decided to get out of the computer business.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:58 am

You're probably right. The STe was released in '89? TT in 90, Mega STe in '91 and Falcon in '93. Falcon felt like that had gotten just far enough into development to go ahead release it, but then completely pawned it off within what seemed a few months so they could focus on the Jag.

Which is kind of silly, since Atari Corp really never had a successful game console in the first place, if I recall... the 7800 was inherited by them and released too late.
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:29 am

This went pretty much off topic. Maybe to move in new thread ? Although that "why STE sold not well" is not new topic here at all :D
I think that Atari just wanted too much - there was high pressure from marketing department to make new models, features, but development was not able to follow it fast enough. And that could be explanation for done mistakes in design, for not utilized ports.
Here may count expansion port mess - one type on Mega ST, another on Mega STE, none on ST(E).
They made even Atari PC, what was by me something very bad for people expecting better development of HW and SW in Atari 68xxx line.
In other words, they went wide instead deep.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:42 pm

Yeah, sorry for going way off topic. Atari liked to spread their wings, just not fly to any particular destination... so to speak.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:47 am

English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Nice! I had never heard of that one. Electronic Arts even. Thought they had stopped releasing new games for the ST before 1990. The big ECA sure brings back memories, mostly of a time when they weren't so crappy.

johnnyboy1911
Atariator
Atariator

Postby johnnyboy1911 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:08 pm

Thx for the info about Projectyle is a really Fun Game.

Social Media

Return to “Games - Compatibility Issues etc.”