STOS website planning updates n stuff

STOS-related stuff in here please

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, exxos, Moderator Team

STOS website planning updates n stuff

Postby exxos » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:33 pm

I'm not sure what has happend to atari.st , its a little worrying as the stos site is hosted on there.. Though I do have a complete copy anyway.

Though I do plan "at some point" in the near future to do a overhaul on the site and link in the files which have been sat in the incomming folder for some time.

This project will no doubt be ongoing thoughout the year, so if anyone knows of anything stos related which isn't there already, please zip it and include a small text file in the zip with your email address and info what the files are.

We do have the STF discs and still looking for the wonder discs. So have a look around, if you can suggest any "new" things or fill in the blanks, or anything which can be added stos related then let me know. There is probably some files posted in various locations in threads, so I am opening this one to try and keep things all together.

If anyone can do us any new banners/gfx which may be useable on the site then please let me know.
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Re: STOS website planning updates n stuff

Postby Dal » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Not sure what happened to LDG - maybe someone else knows why it's down?

As for the Wonder Disks - without your site it's difficult to know what you need. Perhaps you could post a 'wanted' list to this thread?
FireBee, Falcon -Soundpool case: CT63@95Mhz + 14MB/512MB + 16GB SSD + FPU + Phantom 25/50 + SuperVidel + SoundPool FDI + FA8 + ADAT + Eiffel, TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STbook, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's
Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby exxos » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:33 pm

The site is http://stos.atari.st/

The wonder page is http://stos.atari.st/wonder.html

We seem to have floppies 65-86, not sure if there was actually anymore than that or not.

Anything STOS related is good enough to go on, there isn't much really on there overall, Im sure there is more out there in the STOS world than is on the site. I went though all the PD lists looking for stos stuff, and all I could find is listed there already. There must be more out there!

http://stos.atari.st/STOS/index.htm

That was the page I started doing some time ago with help from MugUK. I have the beginners guide book, but due to a million things going wrong in my life the past few years it had to wait. Though With a willing Girlfriend she will be doing the scans for me of the books.

I did spy somewhere today that someones done a link to STOS created games, its something we do not have at the moment. We do have a lot of discmags which were done in stos, We also drifted into STF discs and then the wonder discs. At the time sites were dropping like flies, so we kept a copy online on the stos site to make sure they did not vanish.
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby bullis1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:00 pm

I'd love to see what your revamp ends up like. Your STOS site came in handy for me a few times in the past.

You probably already have this but check this thread here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=11530&start=50 for the STOSSER archive I got from Tony Greenwood a few years ago. It has unreleased stuff in it too. The rapidshare link is probably down but there were a number of mirrors provided by friendly forumers. The atari.org one is your best bet I'd think.
Member of the Atari Legend team
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:05 pm

Yeah, I think I uploaded it onto the site first time I saw it, its just one of many files which i need to sort out. I will double check on it though.

Also seems like atari.st is no longer accepting my FTP password, so can only assume Richard has deleted his site and all the FTP accounts along with it :? I did email him some weeks back about it but not had a reply. May have to look for a new home for the site :roll:
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby sgm » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:51 am

exxos wrote:Anything STOS related is good enough to go on, there isn't much really on there overall, Im sure there is more out there in the STOS world than is on the site. I went though all the PD lists looking for stos stuff, and all I could find is listed there already. There must be more out there!

I have a copy of the fishing game (can't remember the name) that I am sure was done is STOS if you want it and I think I have a poker dice game someone did as well if you don't already have them.

If you want it I will try and offload what is left of my STOS 3D objects and the game code I was working on from my Falcon in the summer as I have not been near it for 6 years and I don't think I will be getting back to it. It is not complete by any means but is in a partially playable state and may be of some help to those who want to try STOS 3D.
It runs on an ST however as it uses most of the allowable number of objects and blocks you really need the extra speed of the Falcon for a decent frame rate.
sgm
Atariator
Atariator

Postby exxos » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:49 am

sounds good, i have a lot of code which never got finished, just getting time to go thought it all, please zip stuff up seperatly and put a quick txt file in there saying what the stuff is, helps me not get confused what is what later down the line :)
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby exxos » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:31 pm

exxos.www.idnet.com/temp/bgtsb50.rar

Finally! "beginners guide to stos basic" all 600 pages of it!!! 102mb download. Had to reduce the quality and image sizes down to even get it to 102MB, I didnt want to reduce it anymore as it started to effect the quality of the scans somewhat.

Thanks my girlfriend Dawn for taking the entire week to scan it all :)
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby bullis1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Thanks a bunch exxos! I'm downloading it now.
Member of the Atari Legend team
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:03 pm

this is the manual that comes with it or another book?
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records
nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:20 pm

nativ wrote:this is the manual that comes with it or another book?

It is a guide by MT software, its not the manderin STOS manual. AFAIk there has never been a copy online before, until now ;)
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby nativ » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:38 pm

I never knew there were any secondary books, maybe the game creator?

Were there many different ones made?

Big Up Dawn!
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records
nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:53 pm

"the game creator" was the book which came with STOS by manderin software.

"the beginners guide" was by MT software, It is a very good book to learn stos, its more examples than just telling you functions like the game creator, ok, it did have some examples also, but the book I uploaded I have never known anyone to have a copy other than me, so its pretty rare!
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby rocket-dog » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:07 pm

exxos wrote: Thanks my girlfriend Dawn for taking the entire week to scan it all :)

Thank you Dawn.

(Obviously you are too good for him. :P )
rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:09 pm

exxos wrote:"the game creator" was the book which came with STOS by manderin software.

"the beginners guide" was by MT software, It is a very good book to learn stos, its more examples than just telling you functions like the game creator, ok, it did have some examples also, but the book I uploaded I have never known anyone to have a copy other than me, so its pretty rare!

I will admit apart from a very basic knowledge of the subject I have wondered for about 30 years how video games are written.
rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Nice one Exxos!
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby exxos » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:01 pm

8)

I wonder if anyone has any of the old "STOS Club Newsletters" or any related stuff ?
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby exxos » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:29 pm

http://www.atari-forum.com/stos/

That will be our new STOS HQ, I can't say when the site will be up, but there is now a mirror from the old stos site

stos/old/

Please can everyone update the bookmarks as stos.atari.st I can no longer access.
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby darklight » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Nice one exxos :) If you want any help with any web graphics / html, I can help...
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games
darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby exxos » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:11 pm

yeah, could do with some cool gfx, was planning on just ripping the STOS logo etc but maybe yourself or someone else can do some cool stuff ? Still thinking about the overall layout, have some ideas, but gfx suggestions etc always welcome :)
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby darklight » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:21 am

I was thinking of something like the loading screen - the one that expands when booting STOS? :lol: I'll see what I can knock up in the next couple of days...
darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby exxos » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 am

darklight wrote:I was thinking of something like the loading screen - the one that expands when booting STOS? :lol: I'll see what I can knock up in the next couple of days...

Yeah, I was going to write that, now the supprise is gone :lol: , but if you can do this then would save me a little time, I would prefer this done without flash though, amazing things can be done without it!
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby darklight » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:14 pm

exxos wrote:
darklight wrote:I was thinking of something like the loading screen - the one that expands when booting STOS? :lol: I'll see what I can knock up in the next couple of days...

Yeah, I was going to write that, now the supprise is gone :lol: , but if you can do this then would save me a little time, I would prefer this done without flash though, amazing things can be done without it!

Hmmm, bit slow, maybe just in IE?

*Edit - nope, slow in all browsers. I'll try & optomize tomorrow, I'm off to bed :)
darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby exxos » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:40 pm

nice 8) i would have done it in JS or something, then realise now a gif would work just fine, :lol: yeah, need the original loader screen though ;)
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MiggyMog » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Was there not a setting to turn that off to make it load quicker, haha!
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Next

Return to STOS