NEW STOS FLOPPY COLLECTION ONLINE

STOS-related stuff in here please

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, exxos, Moderator Team

NEW STOS FLOPPY COLLECTION ONLINE

Postby exxos » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:51 pm

A bit WIP at the moment, if anyone has any STOS manuals/collections not listed then please let me know and I will update the page. Still a few bits to do, but will take time.

http://stos.atari.st/STOS/

When I get time I will upload a final STOS version for the falcon with the new extensions as it seems people have been unable to work it out with the updated compiler etc.
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Re: NEW STOS FLOPPY COLLECTION ONLINE

Postby Mug UK » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:31 pm

STOS 3D is finished part 1 in the editing stage - ends up as a 39MB PDF. Need to now get rid of all those grey shadows and other artifacts on each page to get the file size down a tad. Won't be doing an OCR version initially so short of shrinking each page by half, I doubt it will get much smaller. But it's nearly there....
Having sold 99.9% of my 1300+ collection of originals, I'm taking a bit of a back seat on the forum. I'll still do the front-of-house admin tasks as and when they're required but, for now, I'm enjoying my Xbox 360 time too much :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby exxos » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:39 pm

muguk wrote:STOS 3D is finished part 1 in the editing stage - ends up as a 39MB PDF. Need to now get rid of all those grey shadows and other artifacts on each page to get the file size down a tad. Won't be doing an OCR version initially so short of shrinking each page by half, I doubt it will get much smaller. But it's nearly there....

Good show :-)

Yeah, the scans done come out pretty big.. so 39MB probably isn't too bad anyway, it will be a good quality pdf so can't complain really.

Yup, the outer "unused" area needs cutting out, was a pain doing the boxscans and floppies and a few other bits I scanned too.

Thanks for helping anyway :-) if you can find a quick way of doing it then the stos guide is 600 double sided pages to edit 8O
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby SkylineDave » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:27 pm

here is a scan of the sprites 600 disc. i have the floppy but not the image though (and no floppy drive!), sorry hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AKA Megadaz / Black Eagle --- STOS, Dungeon Master and Captive fan!

Proud member of the GameBaseST team.
Founder of the one-man DemoBaseST team!
SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby exxos » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:30 pm

ahhh, forgot about about sprites 600! I know I have it, not sure if I have the proper floppy tho, so thanks for scanning it!

Don't suppose you have the box for it too ?

Updated the page... really need to change the background colour of the floppy to match :? *fiddles*....*cheats*... ahh , no one will ever know :D
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby SkylineDave » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:48 pm

i do indeed. also the one-page manual that showed which sprites were which. i remember making some absurd STOS shoot-em-up that featured all the sprites - spread over two disks and several PRGs! it was crap but i wanted to use all the sprites!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby exxos » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:01 pm

SkylineDave wrote:i do indeed. also the one-page manual that showed which sprites were which. i remember making some absurd STOS shoot-em-up that featured all the sprites - spread over two disks and several PRGs! it was crap but i wanted to use all the sprites!!!

lol, yeah, I wanted to use all them too.. thanks for the scans, will add them to the site too :-)
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Mug UK » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:36 pm

I've straightened up the box scans using Picasa and then cropped them back a bit - didn't bother doing the instruction sheet.
Having sold 99.9% of my 1300+ collection of originals, I'm taking a bit of a back seat on the forum. I'll still do the front-of-house admin tasks as and when they're required but, for now, I'm enjoying my Xbox 360 time too much :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby exxos » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:39 pm

muguk wrote:I've straightened up the box scans using Picasa and then cropped them back a bit - didn't bother doing the instruction sheet.

cool :) now ive just updated the page :P will edit the zips :)
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby SkylineDave » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:53 pm

lol thanks Muggy! didnt realise how on the pee they were!

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mug UK » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:24 pm

SkylineDave wrote:lol thanks Muggy! didnt realise how on the pee they were!

No probs. Getting used to Picasa's excellent 'straighten' feature - means I can do haphazard scans of the boxes and then spend time tidying them up afterwards. Means I get through a lot more box scans whereas before I'd be so anal about lining them up and hitting the preview button so many times before I was happy with the box scan .. :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby exxos » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:32 pm

*ponders*

Im wondering about the stos-guide scans, would it be easier to scan it page by page creating some 1,200 scans, or scan 2 pages (3 is the is room) per scan ? theres 600 double sided pages.. but if there is 2 or 3 per scan, then they won't be constant on the scan where the pages are.. not sure how its working your end in that respect...

Maybe easier from my point of view to scan page at a time and maybe the scanner auto-crop will work better with these scans.. but at least each page would be aligned, so you could cut them all at a constant pixel size if the scanner bums out doing the auto crop again...
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Mug UK » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:45 pm

What I did initially with your page scans was:

a) copy each scan into two files
b) then crop every double-page scan into a separate file for each page
c) straighten each page up using Picasa
d) remove the spiral bound parts of each page via the crop tool

That was the laborious but fairly easy bit. The next stages were:

a) load each page into Paint Shop Pro
b) select a fill of white on white with a range of 11 so that minor greys etc. would also be filled
c) change all the grey splodges and shades from the scans into pure white

Then I converted it into a PDF and it came out at 30MB+ ... so I then re-sized every page by half and re-did the PDF. Now it's 15Mb in size and still perfectly readable.

Anything you can do whilst scanning would be appreciated if it saves me from doing some of the above .. plus you had some kind of 'hair' on your scanner at the time as on (almost) every left-hand side page there was a small ring at the top :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby exxos » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:55 pm

hmm, didnt notice it, wonder if its a mark on the glass as if it was a hair it would have blown away with all that wafting of paper.. hmm, oh well, will give it a good clean before I do any more scans..

Sounds like scanning pages 1 by one could be best all around then.. will see if I can get the auto crop to work right, its a bit funny with "modes" of scans..
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Mug UK » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:05 pm

Will upload the manual in its current state in a bit and let you know where it is so you can put it onto your site.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby exxos » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:21 pm

muguk wrote:Will upload the manual in its current state in a bit and let you know where it is so you can put it onto your site.

okie dokie :-) tried to add u on msn just. maybe a bit easier...
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Mister DID » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:14 pm

Hello !!

Thank for the mega collection, juste this link is h.s http://stos.atari.st/STOS/3D/3D-INSTALL.zip

Didier
Souriez...demain, ce sera pire !
Mister DID
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby exxos » Thu May 07, 2009 11:05 am

Mister DID wrote:Hello !!

Thank for the mega collection, juste this link is h.s http://stos.atari.st/STOS/3D/3D-INSTALL.zip

Didier

Thanks, should be fixed now.

I've not had chance to do anything with the site for a long time. I know MUGUK was helping with a lot of scans, still more to do, will do it when I get chance :)
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Mug UK » Thu May 07, 2009 11:32 am

I'd best get Saints Row II finished off then if you're sending me more scans to sort through etc. :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Return to STOS