Help needed in PDF conversions of manuals

STOS-related stuff in here please

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, exxos, Moderator Team

Help needed in PDF conversions of manuals

Postby exxos » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:38 pm

I'm Slowly scanning some STOS related manauls, it is a BIG job and going to take ages :(

But what I really need is some people to help convert the images to PDF format. Now the scans will have to be manually rotated and cut out page by page.

I'm going to be pushed to scan all this stuff this week, which will probably drive me loopy, so need some help in producing nice PDF manuals from it all.

I am also copying the related discs, so should be some nice "packs" uploaded soon along with box covers, manuals, etc.

Currently scanned and imaged are.
STOS GAMES GALORE
STOS FUN SCHOOL 2 6-8's
STOS FUN SCHOOL 2 UNDER 6's
STOS MAESTRO

W.I.P.
BEGINNERS GUIDE TO STOS BASIC
STOS 3D

If any of the above are in TEXT or already in PDF form then PLEASE let me know before I spend days scanning it all!

Chris
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Help needed in PDF conversions of manuals

Postby Mug UK » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:29 am

Leave them with your missus and I'll sort them out - give me something meaty to try with my copy of Adobe 8 that came free with the scanner. Plus can get other bits done in work during lunchtimes.
Having sold 99.9% of my 1300+ collection of originals, I'm taking a bit of a back seat on the forum. I'll still do the front-of-house admin tasks as and when they're required but, for now, I'm enjoying my Xbox 360 time too much :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby exxos » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:54 pm

I scanned the STOS 3D manual, I can post a link if you can crop the images easily ? they will need flipping and converting to pdf.. I scanned them at 300DPI as not to loose any quality, can't stand scans of like 10DPI which is how poor some scans seem to be on the net!
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Mug UK » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:48 pm

OK, PM me a link and I'll take a look.
Having sold 99.9% of my 1300+ collection of originals, I'm taking a bit of a back seat on the forum. I'll still do the front-of-house admin tasks as and when they're required but, for now, I'm enjoying my Xbox 360 time too much :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby sgm » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:17 am

exxos wrote:I scanned the STOS 3D manual, I can post a link if you can crop the images easily ? they will need flipping and converting to pdf.. I scanned them at 300DPI as not to loose any quality, can't stand scans of like 10DPI which is how poor some scans seem to be on the net!

I know that scanner make mistakes with word recognition and formatting but did you try scanning it as a document into a word processor, making the necessary edits and then printing the whole lot as a PDF using something like Nova PDF. I know it is a pain as I went through it with the HTML version of the manual that I produced - I did look at converting it to PDF but it was going to be more work than I had time for.
It may be a bit late now as I don't check here as often as I should but if you have not looked at my HTML version at http://www.sgmelectrosoft.co.uk/software/STOS_3DM.zip take a look and see if my scans are good enough for what you need.
sgm
Atariator
Atariator

Postby nitrofurano » Sun May 13, 2012 12:24 pm

exxos wrote:I'm Slowly scanning some STOS related manauls, it is a BIG job and going to take ages :(

But what I really need is some people to help convert the images to PDF format. Now the scans will have to be manually rotated and cut out page by page.

I'm going to be pushed to scan all this stuff this week, which will probably drive me loopy, so need some help in producing nice PDF manuals from it all.

I am also copying the related discs, so should be some nice "packs" uploaded soon along with box covers, manuals, etc.

Currently scanned and imaged are.
STOS GAMES GALORE
STOS FUN SCHOOL 2 6-8's
STOS FUN SCHOOL 2 UNDER 6's
STOS MAESTRO

W.I.P.
BEGINNERS GUIDE TO STOS BASIC
STOS 3D

If any of the above are in TEXT or already in PDF form then PLEASE let me know before I spend days scanning it all!

Chris

after all this time, i imagine that all these scans or the .pdf documents of them are ready btw?
i used to create .cbz files from a folder with these pictures inside, and convert them to .pdf from a kind of conversion script i found somewhere online (in Python, i think), but there is no ocr...
nitrofurano
Atariator
Atariator

Postby MT1 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:22 pm

I was interested to read that you are scanning the Beginners Guide to STOS Basic - just wondered where this can be downloaded.
MT1
Atarian
Atarian

Return to STOS