I'm Interested in starting with STOS - what do I need?

STOS-related stuff in here please

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, exxos, Moderator Team

Re: I'm Interested in starting with STOS - what do I need?

Postby exxos » Sat May 17, 2008 12:26 pm

http://www.future-technologies.co.uk/IM ... /index.htm

At the top "its great" game was ported to the falcon , I think it used 768x240 screen res in 256 colours, also used sampled sounds.. The BETA version is still floating about somewhere.. that was all done with AH's extensions. I think the backdrop was a 256 colour LBM image too!

Chris
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby exxos » Sat May 17, 2008 12:39 pm

PaulB wrote:Sorry mate. Wouldn't have pointed you in that direction if I'd known it was a dud. Seems the guy who did it promised more that he could deliver.

AJ's stuff looked good, but unfortunatly I have to agree that it did not seem to get very far. I tried AJ's stuff right from the start and I just couldn't get on with it all. Gredit to the guy for his efforts of course though!

Later I came into contact with AH, We were talking for a long time and testing things, adding things.. I know AH was having some medical problems at the time and after a while I just stopped hearing form him... If I remember right he had back problems and found it hard to sit in front of a computer for any amount of time.. I assumed he just found it to hard to continue work on the extensions and I just lost touch with him in the end. I did write to him asking his permission to put his stuff into the PD but never got a reply. Either he is no longer with us or has moved house.. He was a good chap and I don't think he would mind after 10 years! I am not aware of any other copies of his work other than maybe really early versions in the PDL's. All his extensions are fully working, nothing have been left half developed and I ever started writing a whole bunch of programs using his extensions.

So I hope that you guys can make some good stuff out with these extensions! I doubt anyone else has the latest versions of them.. AFAIK I was the only one who he kept updated, but there must have been others out there too! In anycase, this stuff is valuable, far to valuable to be "lost".. I keep meaning to sort out all my STOS stuff, but I never seem to get around to it. Though I did sort out my floppies a few years ago and those zips files hould have the latest versions in there... but be carefull to check the documents and file versions to make sure they are the latest ones. the ANTNEW folder *should* have all the last versions in there.. though I have not double checked, there is bound to be some older/other versions which are going to crop up at some point.

Chrsi
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby christos » Sat May 17, 2008 1:38 pm

Sh3.. maybe it's time to move on and think of asm or at least GFA BASIC? :P
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Sat May 17, 2008 1:46 pm

christos wrote:Sh3.. maybe it's time to move on and think of asm or at least GFA BASIC? :P

Burn the heretic!!! lol :angel:
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby christos » Sat May 17, 2008 2:07 pm

Actually I don't care what people use as long as they are creative :). But I don't like that creativity being limited. Still maybe I'd like to give STOS a try just for the fun of it ;).
My Atari blog

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Sat May 17, 2008 2:45 pm

thats the spirit! join in the "fun" ;-)

:cheers:

Chris
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby christos » Sat May 17, 2008 3:04 pm

exxos wrote:thats the spirit! join in the "fun" ;-)

:cheers:

Chris

The only problem with that is that I can see quite a few sceners starting to kick my butt for going one step backwards instead of one step forward ;).
My Atari blog

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby sh3-rg » Sat May 17, 2008 6:36 pm

christos wrote:The only problem with that is that I can see quite a few sceners starting to kick my butt for going one step backwards instead of one step forward ;).

Well I took that backward step but my sudoku game is better than my top trumps game so something took a step forward ;)

It's not the language you use it's what you do with it that counts. From today STOS looks even more appealing to me. If Damo started out with STOS then that's all I need to know! :D
fxXxings to disco mobile
sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby christos » Sat May 17, 2008 7:04 pm

sh3-rg wrote:
christos wrote:The only problem with that is that I can see quite a few sceners starting to kick my butt for going one step backwards instead of one step forward ;).

Well I took that backward step but my sudoku game is better than my top trumps game so something took a step forward ;)

It's not the language you use it's what you do with it that counts. From today STOS looks even more appealing to me. If Damo started out with STOS then that's all I need to know! :D

I agree, And Damo starting out with STOS is a very good argument.
My Atari blog

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby distantminds » Sun May 18, 2008 2:20 pm

everything i do to this day (what little that is!) involves STOS at some point! i love it, and couldn't give a poo about any so-called limitations :D its corny but its what you do not how you do it that matters. No scener in their right mind would kick your ass for using STOS if the end result was DECENT! any "my basic is better than your basic" argument is ultimately pointless in these days of baron releases imho

mmmmhh i might even bust out STOS now for a little session :lol:

10 key off : curs off : hide : mode 0
distantminds
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby exxos » Sun May 18, 2008 4:38 pm

lets not try to get "too" worked up ;-)

With the extensions I do not see that STOS has any limitations other than its "BASIC" so a bit on the slow side. Though once you get coding on the falcon you get twice the speed of the CPU, plus you can pile things onto the DSP for sound and such, have as much graphics as you want, it really does give STOS a whole new life.

Its the main reason I brought CT60 so see what really could be done with STOS, though its a project which is still on the distant back burner unfortunatly.. I know some STOS stuff has real problems running under CT60, but STOS can and is, still awesome on the falcon.
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby STT » Wed May 28, 2008 9:22 am

exxos wrote:Though once you get coding on the falcon you get twice the speed of the CPU, plus you can pile things onto the DSP for sound and such, have as much graphics as you want, it really does give STOS a whole new life.

I don't have a falcon but would very much like one!
Can I borrow yours, Chris :)

Even today I am still working behind the scenes with Stos on my real atari ST!!!
That's the power it has, even if it is just Basic :)

Chris, thanks very much for answering the questions in this forum!
Apppreciate it.
Cheers
Lee
http://stos.atari.st/
The Stos Time Tunnel!
STT
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby exxos » Wed May 28, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi Lee!

You can borrow my falcon if you can finish of installing the CT60, find all the screws, then solder in the overclocking thingy...

Actually I have a feeling STOS does not run on the CT60 too well..so Not sure what will happen there! its on my "to do list" honest!! lol

Wonder if anyone here can try the extentions for the falcon on a CT60 ? Just imagine how fast ZOLTAR will run at 100mhz! get sampled sound in there, 256 colour sprites, true colour backdrops... ohhh... its just gotta be done!!!!

Chris
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby STT » Thu May 29, 2008 7:17 am

Yeah fine, if you pay for the postage and you are happy to have your Falcon back as "Toaster" :lol:

ZOLTAR , my god I remember that game...
It would be interesting to see what can be done with Stos and the CT60?

How much do the Falcons go for and where is the best place to find one, and don't say Ebay? :)

Later
Lee
http://stos.atari.st/
The Stos Time Tunnel!
STT
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby bullis1 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:58 pm

STT wrote:ZOLTAR , my god I remember that game...
It would be interesting to see what can be done with Stos and the CT60?

I searched for Zoltar on AL and couldn't find it. If it's not on the site I would like to add it. Does anyone have this game or the information about it?
Member of the Atari Legend team
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Fri May 30, 2008 1:33 pm

That's probably because Orbit, Zoltar and Bullet Train were 3 complete games that were bundled with STOS basic. You had to buy STOS to get them in code form. I don't believe a compiled version was ever sold seperately.
PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Are these not on the STOS site ? Should be ? If not then I do have the floppies, but no way to get them over to my PC at the moment...

If nobody has them, then I will get them imaged..

chris
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Mug UK » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:15 pm

Bullet Train was released commercially in France in a tweaked / compiled version.
Having sold 99.9% of my 1300+ collection of originals, I'm taking a bit of a back seat on the forum. I'll still do the front-of-house admin tasks as and when they're required but, for now, I'm enjoying my Xbox 360 time too much :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PaulB » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:56 am

Just noticed that Bullis must have clicked on edit on my post instead of quote. His answer to me is at the bottom of my post lol.
PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:37 pm

PaulB wrote:Just noticed that Bullis must have clicked on edit on my post instead of quote. His answer to me is at the bottom of my post lol.

Yeah I just noticed that too. Sorry about that! I'll fix your post now...

I'm the one who wasn't aware that STOS was bundled with 3 (not just 2) games :)
Member of the Atari Legend team
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Heavy Stylus » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:45 pm

exxos wrote:ok, here are the AH's files, I was a BETA tester for all this stuff, so many versions and such that I really lost track!

There is all the docs and examples, extensions, stos folders, everything I could find actually on my drive. I doubt anyone has seen this stuff yet, and trust me these extensions are awesome.

I have no looked at this stuff for a long time, but everything is documented in there. maybe my stos setup just has a buggy file, but everything should be there for your guys to look into it. I cant do much as I dont have real hardware to hand at the moment.

from memory..........

In short, the BASIC208 loader was probably updated, this was becasue it used to crash when going back to the desktop and turn the screen yellow. The compiler ACB was updated to patch the TOS tables... its possible some of the LIB files got updated for use with the new extensions also.. you would have to check the docs... the DAT files are the TOS tables the compiler reads in... there is a program GENFIX.. I really can't remember what that was off-hand, though I think it generates a list of TOS tables for the compiler to use....

Chris

Thanks for posting this up Chris - but how do I load the editor in this version?
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
The Essential Discmag for Retro Gamers!

http://www.myspace.com/heavystylus
Usual myspace crap.

http://tinyurl.com/heavystylus
Facebook
Heavy Stylus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby exxos » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:52 am

There is a text file which explains all the files, what they are, what they were updated with etc.. they are in the STOS and COMPILER folders so really you only need to overwrite your old files.

I have not had chance to sort out whats what, though it is all documented there anyway.
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Previous

Return to STOS