I'm Interested in starting with STOS - what do I need?

STOS-related stuff in here please

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, exxos, Moderator Team

I'm Interested in starting with STOS - what do I need?

Postby Heavy Stylus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:04 am

Title thread says it all really.

I've got a 4MB STE running TOS 2.06. What's the latest version of STOS, and what expansions do I need to get up and running?

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
The Essential Discmag for Retro Gamers!

http://www.myspace.com/heavystylus
Usual myspace crap.

http://tinyurl.com/heavystylus
Facebook
Heavy Stylus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: I'm Interested in starting with STOS - what do I need?

Postby jd » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:40 am

Check this out :

http://stos.atari.st/
jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby exxos » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:41 pm

The stos file on there is one I created, it has the patched compiler which works with all TOS versions, has the updated compiler acb aswell and is the one I used also. There are various extensions on the site. We are always on the look out for stos stuff which can go on the site aswell.

Chris
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Heavy Stylus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Thanks Chris. I've got a manual on it's way to me soon as well. SH3 has helped me get set up. It all seems to be running fine on my HD :)
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
The Essential Discmag for Retro Gamers!

http://www.myspace.com/heavystylus
Usual myspace crap.

http://tinyurl.com/heavystylus
Facebook
Heavy Stylus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby exxos » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:18 pm

I remember the good old days, 720k floppy, one with STOS on it and another with the Compiler on it, too ages to load up, and when I got my falcon and put my setup on there, it was up in a couple of seconds... was like woahhhh lol made crashing the editor a bit less annoying as could reboot a lot faster :)
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Mug UK » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:03 pm

There are tons of PD examples out there HS and some commercial ones - almost all the early Fun School disks are uncompiled STOS ;-)
Having sold 99.9% of my 1300+ collection of originals, I'm taking a bit of a back seat on the forum. I'll still do the front-of-house admin tasks as and when they're required but, for now, I'm enjoying my Xbox 360 time too much :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby exxos » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:18 pm

Ahh yep, I remember those too!
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby sh3-rg » Fri May 09, 2008 11:35 am

exxos wrote:The stos file on there is one I created, it has the patched compiler which works with all TOS versions, has the updated compiler acb aswell and is the one I used also. There are various extensions on the site. We are always on the look out for stos stuff which can go on the site aswell.

I couldn't get on with that one - compiled stuff refused to run on my Falcon (stuck mouse etc) & when I was sending previews out got the same info from other people with their falcons. In the end I had to patch the prog making one version work with STs, the other with tts/falcons. Anyone else have this probelm?
fxXxings to disco mobile
sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PaulB » Fri May 09, 2008 4:08 pm

Apparently some guy has made an authorised stos 2.07 that will allow progs compiled or not to run on the ST, STE, Falcon and TT. It's in beta 3 stage and hasn't seen an update in a long while but he says it works on most stuff.

http://www.btinternet.com/~AnthonyJ/Atari/stos/basic207.html
PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby distantminds » Thu May 15, 2008 3:55 pm

someone needs to deliver the definative "build" of STOS with working editor and compiler for -all- tos versions. part of the stigma attached to using the program is i'm sure down to this kind of non compatablity issue...

seems like a good time to pay some respects to the forgotten masters of the mighty STOS :)

The STOS hall of fame:

A Clockwork Orange
Whee the Fibble
Steve Jarrett
The Happening Boiz
TK Dentrassi

Special shout to Steve Jarrett for giving me my first pointers back in the day!
distantminds
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby sh3-rg » Thu May 15, 2008 6:50 pm

distantminds wrote:someone needs to deliver the definative "build" of STOS with working editor and compiler for -all- tos versions. part of the stigma attached to using the program is i'm sure down to this kind of non compatablity issue...

I have to agree. I downloaded what I was told was a fully working on all machines version and as you know when I sent previews to the falcon kids they all shouted about frozen mouse pointers! ;) That was exxos' 208 setup, thanks for that but I didn't get it to work. I had to make 2 versions of my game, one patched for STs & one patched for TTs/Falcon. That was a bit ugly but time was short & I couldn't find a better solution. Someone please help out :)
fxXxings to disco mobile
sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PaulB » Thu May 15, 2008 6:57 pm

PaulB wrote:Apparently some guy has made an authorised stos 2.07 that will allow progs compiled or not to run on the ST, STE, Falcon and TT. It's in beta 3 stage and hasn't seen an update in a long while but he says it works on most stuff.

http://www.btinternet.com/~AnthonyJ/Atari/stos/basic207.html

So did you try this? If not why not cos if it works it would solve all your dual coding problems. Just compile and the executable should work on all machines including Falcon and TT.
PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby sh3-rg » Thu May 15, 2008 7:05 pm

PaulB wrote:So did you try this? If not why not cos if it works it would solve all your dual coding problems. Just compile and the executable should work on all machines including Falcon and TT.

I didn't because the one I'm using is called 208 & I thought was probably newer than this one. I'll give this a go & see if I can make a version for all machines. ta.
fxXxings to disco mobile
sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sh3-rg » Thu May 15, 2008 8:33 pm

Tried it. Worked OK on 102, completely failed on TOS 206, didn't even show the intro pic. On falcon frozen mouse. :(
fxXxings to disco mobile
sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PaulB » Thu May 15, 2008 8:37 pm

Sorry mate. Wouldn't have pointed you in that direction if I'd known it was a dud. Seems the guy who did it promised more that he could deliver.
PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby sh3-rg » Thu May 15, 2008 9:01 pm

PaulB wrote:Sorry mate. Wouldn't have pointed you in that direction if I'd known it was a dud. Seems the guy who did it promised more that he could deliver.

Well I don't know that it's a dud as such, this version should do what it says on the tin, it must have been tested before being put out there. Maybe there's some reason those files are not happy with the STOS version I have.

If someone has a STOS setup they think is fully compatible with all TOS versions maybe they could throw my game together or rar up their stos folder & throw it my way.
fxXxings to disco mobile
sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby exxos » Sat May 17, 2008 11:08 am

Forget AnthonyJ's stuff!!!

I don't know why people are having such problems with this. I used this setup for years.

The compiler is patched and comes up "patching table" when you compile, it compiles all the TOS tables to work on any TOS version, not just the one its "fixed" too.

I will download the STOS file I uploaded, it was a direct copy and should be the final build of STOS, if you start mixing it about with other stuff then you will really screw things up. I tested all this years ago, there even is a bug fix to replace the draw functions on the ST so they work with the falcon.

Leave it with me and I will see if I can suss out why people are having all these problems. It should run on the falcon with no problems at all, though I can't test it on a real falcon as its been in bits for the past few years pending CT60 update.

Chris
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby sh3-rg » Sat May 17, 2008 11:13 am

exxos wrote:Forget AnthonyJ's stuff!!!

I don't know why people are having such problems with this. I used this setup for years.

The compiler is patched and comes up "patching table" when you compile, it compiles all the TOS tables to work on any TOS version, not just the one its "fixed" too.

I will download the STOS file I uploaded, it was a direct copy and should be the final build of STOS, if you start mixing it about with other stuff then you will really screw things up. I tested all this years ago, there even is a bug fix to replace the draw functions on the ST so they work with the falcon.

Leave it with me and I will see if I can suss out why people are having all these problems. It should run on the falcon with no problems at all, though I can't test it on a real falcon as its been in bits for the past few years pending CT60 update.

Chris

Excellent, thanks for that, Chris. The version I got off you does that patching tables thing, I've seen that, but for some reason none of the falcons I tested it on or those of the other people who were testing would play.
fxXxings to disco mobile
sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby exxos » Sat May 17, 2008 11:31 am

I just tested the files out I put on the STOS site, cant spot anything wrong there at all. compiled fine and ran ran under steem tos 104.

you guys haven't deleted the DAT files out of the COMPILER folder have you ? Those are all the TOS tables for each TOS version, the compiler reads in all those files when patching..

Please dont get involved with patching PRG files with STOSFIX or messing about with anything else, there really is no need for anything like that anymore if they are compiled with the new compiler.

I don't know why it would not work for your guys, I used that setup for years and it worked on my ST, STE, Falcon perfectly.

I will see if I can hunt out the origional floppy I was sent with all this stuff on. There are a pile of extensions which are not in the PD yet, I have been unable to contact Antony Hoskin over this, so I am going to put his stuff in the PD soon. Please forget AJ's stuff, it really is aweful.

Chris
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby sh3-rg » Sat May 17, 2008 11:38 am

exxos wrote:I just tested the files out I put on the STOS site, cant spot anything wrong there at all. compiled fine and ran ran under steem tos 104.

I have no probelsm running anything compiled in steem with any of the tos version I have. It's when I try on falcon that the mouse pointer is frozen.

exxos wrote:you guys haven't deleted the DAT files out of the COMPILER folder have you ? Those are all the TOS tables for each TOS version, the compiler reads in all those files when patching..

Not deleted anything, like I said the compiler says it is doing it's patching thing OK.

exxos wrote:Please dont get involved with patching PRG files with STOSFIX or messing about with anything else, there really is no need for anything like that anymore if they are compiled with the new compiler.

I had no other option, that was all I could find to make my game work on falcon.

exxos wrote:I don't know why it would not work for your guys, I used that setup for years and it worked on my ST, STE, Falcon perfectly.

I don't get it either :)

exxos wrote:I will see if I can hunt out the origional floppy I was sent with all this stuff on. There are a pile of extensions which are not in the PD yet, I have been unable to contact Antony Hoskin over this, so I am going to put his stuff in the PD soon. Please forget AJ's stuff, it really is aweful.

I won't need to compile anything for a little while until it's almost finished. Cheers for taking the time, Chris.

kevin
fxXxings to disco mobile
sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby exxos » Sat May 17, 2008 11:51 am

ok, here are the AH's files, I was a BETA tester for all this stuff, so many versions and such that I really lost track!

There is all the docs and examples, extensions, stos folders, everything I could find actually on my drive. I doubt anyone has seen this stuff yet, and trust me these extensions are awesome.

I have no looked at this stuff for a long time, but everything is documented in there. maybe my stos setup just has a buggy file, but everything should be there for your guys to look into it. I cant do much as I dont have real hardware to hand at the moment.

from memory..........

In short, the BASIC208 loader was probably updated, this was becasue it used to crash when going back to the desktop and turn the screen yellow. The compiler ACB was updated to patch the TOS tables... its possible some of the LIB files got updated for use with the new extensions also.. you would have to check the docs... the DAT files are the TOS tables the compiler reads in... there is a program GENFIX.. I really can't remember what that was off-hand, though I think it generates a list of TOS tables for the compiler to use....

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby exxos » Sat May 17, 2008 11:55 am

A:\AH_STOS\*.*
CONTENTS.TXT 4,651 This text file.

Path/File Size Description

A:\AH_STOS\ACB'S\*.*
COMPILER.ACB 27,346 The STOS Compiler accessory.

Path contains -> 1 items in 27,346 bytes.

A:\AH_STOS\STOS\*.*
RUN__206.BIN 2,368 STOS Runtime library.
BASIC206.BIN 77,260 \
WINDO102.BIN 23,154 STOS Library files
SPRIT101.BIN 59,431 (interpreter versions).
FLOAT102.BIN 8,969
MUSIC101.BIN 11,946 /
EDITOR .ENV 968
COMPACT .EXA 1,648 The STOS Compacter extension.
COMPILER.EXC 589 The STOS Compiler extension.
MAESTRO .EXD 8,064 The STOS Maestro extension.
STARS .EXH 7,158 The STOS Stars extension (F030 compatible).
GEM_TXT .EXL 14,445 The STOS Gemtext extension.
FALC_FLI.EXP 2,712 The STOS FLI/FLC player extension.
LINK1 .EXQ 21,417 The STOS Missing Link extension.
LINK2 .EXR 22,710 The STOS Missing Link extension.
LINK3 .EXS 10,851 The STOS Missing Link extension.
3D_MENU .EXU 15,553 The STOS 3D Menu & Alerts extension.
FALCGFX3.EXV 11,625 The STOS ST(e)/Falcon GRAFIX extension.
SYS_CTRL.EXW 37,840 The STOS System Control extension.
FALC_VID.EXX 15,403 The STOS Falcon VIDEO (III) extension.
FALC_SND.EXY 6,691 The STOS Falcon DMA Sound extension.
FALC_MOD.EXZ 11,730 The STOS Falcon DSP Tracker extension.

8X8 .CR0 2,064 \
8X8 .CR1 2,064 The STOS Character sets for
8X16 .CR2 3,852 ST-LOW, ST-MED & ST-HIGH resolutions.
8X8 .CR3 2,304 /
MOUSE .SPR 2,560

PIC .PI1 32,066 STOS Title screen (Degas Elite image).
PIC .PI3 32,066 STOS Title screen (Degas Elite image).

Path contains -> 29 items in 449,508 bytes.

A:\AH_STOS\COMPILER\*.*
BASIC205.LIB 37,416 \
WINDO102.LIB 28,400 STOS Library files
SPRIT101.LIB 58,955 (compiler versions).
FLOAT102.LIB 8,969
MUSIC101.LIB 18,049 /
COMP_207.PRG 29,578 Compiler binary used by COMPILER.ACB (this
is a patched version by A. Jacques).

COMPACT .ECA 1,364 The STOS Compacter extension.
COMPILER.ECC 100 The STOS Compiler extension.
MAESTRO .ECD 6,912 The STOS Maestro extension.
STARS .ECH 7,415 The STOS Stars extension (F030 compatible).
GEM_TXT .ECL 5,854 The STOS Gemtext extension.
FALC_FLI.ECP 2,888 The STOS FLI/FLC player extension.
LINK1 .ECQ 17,270 The STOS Missing Link extension.
LINK2 .ECR 21,204 The STOS Missing Link extension.
LINK3 .ECS 11,258 The STOS Missing Link extension.
3D_MENU .ECU 1,264 The STOS 3D Menu & Alerts extension.
FALCGFX3.ECV 12,308 The STOS ST(e)/Falcon GRAFIX extension.
SYS_CTRL.ECW 7,594 The STOS System Control extension.
FALC_VID.ECX 22,266 The STOS Falcon VIDEO (III) extension.
FALC_SND.ECY 4,780 The STOS Falcon DMA Sound extension.
FALC_MOD.ECZ 10,532 The STOS Falcon DSP Tracker extension.

8X8 .CR0 2,304 \
8X8 .CR1 2,064 The STOS Character sets for
8X16 .CR2 3,852 ST-LOW, ST-MED & ST-HIGH resolutions.
8X8 .CR3 2,304 /

MOUSE .SPR 2,560
NOMOUSE .SPR 22
LOMOUSE .SPR 256 STOS ST-LOW rez mouse pointer.
MIMOUSE .SPR 256 STOS ST-MED rez mouse pointer.
HIMOUSE .SPR 256 STOS ST-HIGH rez mouse pointer.
PICLOW .MBK 5,906 Compiler screen image (ST-LOW).
PICHI .MBK 8,722 Compiler screen image (ST-HIGH).
OPTIONS .INF 118 Compiler Options data file.

DEF0100 .DAT 135 \
DEF0102 .DAT 135 TOS Tables as used by STOSFIX3 and
DEF0104 .DAT 135 GENFIXER (in this case used by the
DEF0106 .DAT 135 COMP_207.PRG patched by A. Jacques).
DEF0162 .DAT 135
DEF0205 .DAT 135
DEF0206 .DAT 135
DEF0404 .DAT 135
DEF0492 .DAT 135 /

Path contains -> 42 items in 344,211 bytes.

Total items in list -> 72 files.
Diskspace used -> 821,065 bytes.
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby exxos » Sat May 17, 2008 11:59 am

OK, AJ looks to have patched the compiler side of things, not AH, The extentions look the latest versions for AH. everything looks to be there though..

probably best to use that STOS setup and see how things go form there. Will help out as much as I can, though ive not touched this stuff for a long time. AJ's extentions I gave up with, but AH's extensions really kick ass, trust me ;-) look at the docs :-)

I think GENFIX maybe a new STOSFIX3 type thing, I think it alters the PRG with all 14 TOS tables, but I think this got all moved into a new COMP_207 and compiler ACB's....

The compiler will compile all TOS versions, its when the compiled program is missing the tos tables that the mouse pointer stops working etc...

Chris
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Postby sh3-rg » Sat May 17, 2008 12:07 pm

yesss, thanks Chris. It's the middle of May but it's also Christmas day :D

Looking at that lot I'd say the next game after this is going to have to be for Falcon :) Damn, I've got to go out all day today & all I want to do is stay in & play with this =)

Massive thanks for sharing! :cheers:

kevin
fxXxings to disco mobile
sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby exxos » Sat May 17, 2008 12:13 pm

I did try and track down AH though gave up , this stuff was not FREEWARE and cost me a fair bit in registration stuff, but I started to get updates for free as I ended up being the BETA tester ;-)

You are going to love those extensions, playing a MOD under DSP, fantastic quality, and you can still wise around 16 sprites with no problems at all.. there is examples of all this. I love the MOD player, the early version was under CPU, but there was a DSP player too, also runs in 256 colours in a high res if I remember right too :-)

one of the graphics extensions replaces the DRAW, BOX, LINE commands, they never worked right on the falcon, so they were replaced by an extension. So if you renamed the commands in the ST program with the new extension commands, the DRAW, BOX etc would work on both falcon and ST :-)

Enjoy :-)

Chris
exxos
Atari God
Atari God

Next

Return to STOS