Flipping Pictures

Upload your pictures or collections of pictures by famous Atari artists from around the world.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Flipping Pictures

Postby Supersly » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:00 am

I am from the Amstrad CPC universe, but I am more and more interesting mysilf to the Atari ST pictures (not the STE or more evoluted). I am looking some pictures in the classic modes (320x200 / 16 couls). And I am a bit decieved not to have seen anything interesting in 640x200 / 4couls. Are there some gfx existing in games or in the demoscene ? I don't really know the demos on ST.

Other question : what are the demos who shows some "flipping pictures". I call "flipping pictures" complementary pictures who are shown at 50Hz to increase the color depth.
Supersly
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Flipping Pictures

Postby darklight » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:14 am

Have you looked around in this very forum? There are plenty of 320x200x16+, and some 640x200x4 pictures in various posts here.

640x400 was not a very popular resolution for games / graphics / demos, due to the lack of colour depth. Very very few demos / graphics exist in this format. Medium res was used more for apps that did not require flash graphics.

For 320x200 - look for threads that mention Photochrome. This was a program that was used the flicker technique to get 32000+ colours on a standard ST. This is what I think you mean by flipping - am I correct? Another popular format was Spectrum 512 - which came before Photochrome, and squeezed 512 colours by swapping the palette a few times every scanline.
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games
darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Supersly » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:36 pm

I know many 320x200x16c ,pics, no problem. I saw all the topic concerning the graphism here. And for the midle res, I think it could have been used more efficiently then only use it in utilities.

Concerning the flipping, I know the software you tell about. But I would like to know if this technic is used in some demos / games.
Supersly
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bullis1 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:56 pm

Supersly wrote:I know many 320x200x16c ,pics, no problem. I saw all the topic concerning the graphism here. And for the midle res, I think it could have been used more efficiently then only use it in utilities.

Concerning the flipping, I know the software you tell about. But I would like to know if this technic is used in some demos / games.

In games, you usually only find up to 32 or 40 colours because you don't want to use all your CPU time doing palette changes. Sometimes on title screens you will find 512 colours because there isn't any other tasks for the CPU.

There are some nice med-res graphics out there. Search this forum, some great ones were posted. There is also a thread about med-res games.
Member of the Atari Legend team
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Return to Galleries