Multiple partitions on removable in Windows

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Multiple partitions on removable in Windows

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:28 am

This problem is known for long time, and now with mass usage of diverse Flash cards on oldies, so on Atari ST and compatibles it is especially present. And annoying, I must say. Not only that whole restriction is st*pid and makes no sense, but it is worse and worse in every new Windows version.
It was relative easy to solve in Windows XP - with cfadisk or dummydisk. But then M$ came with driver signatures. So, in Win 7 it is just nightmare. Worst is that it will perform system restore when finds unsigned driver during restart - what will annihilate all your updates, installs done in meantime. I did not find elegant solution against that - only way is that most press F8 in proper moment at every restart, and disable signature enforcement.
That was main reason why I went on Win 10 - after recommendations that use 7, what is more stable and proven. And really, Win 10 at start looks like they wanted that you hate it: skipped v9 because it is so big leap - but start anim. is same primitive light blue as in 8 - what the Hell ? Then comes long clicking on no buttons - who normal wants that M$ take control over everything ? OK, I stop here, although that was just start. After 10 days I made it so-so normally usable.
Driver signature enforcement is still here of course, but at least it did not mess up updates at restart. There are threads, articles online how to set it to not enforce driver signature check - main thing is to hold down Shift key when click on Restart :D

But it seems that we will be able to solve it without all that hassle. Thanx to Simon Owen - very helpful man, who is known here mostly because of his fdrawcmd floppy driver (utility to override Win floppy driver limitations, ++) . He already solved easy install of cfadisk driver - what solves access to multiple partitions in Windows, without need to go in Regedit or Device Manager and seek. It worked well in Win 10, 64-bit. There are some smaller issues yet - like media eject, but I think that it will be solved soon. The best part is that Simon Owen can provide signature for driver !
I guess that it will be OK for earlier Windows versions too. I will try in Win XP 64-bit. Probably 32-bit version will be done too.
Stay tuned :D

To forum stuff (delete it after ...): I think that this should be set as sticky. Section is not ideal too - this would be something like: Data transfer between different platforms and related issues - so in that section could go PARCP, NetUSbee, TOS/DOS compatibility and like ...
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Multiple partitions on removable in Windows

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:57 pm

That will be very useful. You mentioned 10 and XP, do you think it will be working on 7 eventually?

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:05 pm

Just another reason why I use kubuntu linux and mtools - can access all partitions on a Atari formatted SD card.

PS Note that my cards are formatted with DOS compatibility checked on, under HDDriver. I'm just assuming that
PPera's driver would work equally as well.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:00 am

This will be continued at http://forum.8bitchip.info/
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”