Aranym Limitations?

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Aranym Limitations?

Postby warp12 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:57 am

I was just wondering why the Aranym environment is not "the new "st"? It seems to have so many features, even comparable to the Firebee in some respects.

Is it buggy, picky with it's host OS, or??

I'm just curious. I'd love to set up such a system, one that was usuable for productivity and games....but it seems really convoluted.

Shane
Shane

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Aranym Limitations?

Postby wongck » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:35 am

Welcome to the forum.

warp12 wrote:I'm just curious. I'd love to set up such a system, one that was usuable for productivity and games....but it seems really convoluted.

From what I have read so far on Aranym, it is more of an "no speed limit" emulator, as in it will run as fast as possible given a host machine. This means that games will run super fast if it runs on it. It may be a good thing as it makes it more challenging. However, for productivity apps this may be a good thing.

For games, you should use something like STEEM, SainT or Hatari. They are more consistent with or follows the speed of the ST.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:03 am

Its missing things. Like no key click, or YM at all far as I can tell. If you want fast you have to use fvdi, which is a touch buggy and incomplete. Mouse grab on the mac is horrifically bad. Host file system seems buggy too, I get EOF errors reading files that read fine from disk images. Also real hardware tends to have a passionate following. :wink:

MrMaddog
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MrMaddog » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:54 am

It's really more of a way to run FreeMint on a PC than an exact emulation of an Atari machine. It really relies on using the CPU on the host machine to do things outside the normal emulation like VDI accleration and playing movies on Aniplayer without using a DSP. Sadly it's all complicated to set up and you really need to run it on Linux to get the most out of it. If you're just looking to emulate a ST/TT/Falcon then you're better off running Hatari. But if you take the time to read the documentation and tweak some stuff, then you can run your TOS stuff as fast as possible. (As long as you do not use JIT emulation...)

gilles504
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gilles504 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:43 am

You can consider ananym as a virtualization rather than an emulation.
It's great for many tasks (coding without waiting hours in compilation time, working with good old tools).
It's not great to run demos, games and every program that needs a close to perfect ST/STE or Falcon emulation (here, use Hatari, Steem or SainT).
Aranym on top of linux kernel as a standalone distribution (AFROS) is very interesting to play with, but the downside of rare linux distros is the lack of support.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:00 am

in my opinion, ARAnyM is a fantastic piece of software if you want to run FreeMiNT and recreate the kind of system the higher-end Atari/clones provide. For anything else, other emulators are better suited. ARAnyM is not meant as a "new ST".
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:03 am

jfl wrote:in my opinion, ARAnyM is a fantastic piece of software if you want to run FreeMiNT and recreate the kind of system the higher-end Atari/clones provide. For anything else, other emulators are better suited. ARAnyM is not meant as a "new ST".

I can only second this opinion. Aranym is a great tool to develop things for highend Ataris and for those wanting to run productivity software. If you want true ST compatibility you have no choice but have to use an emulator which emulates all hardware features and timings of the original thing.

My understanding of is that this never was the goal of Aranym and never will be. Thus Aranym never will be the best of both worlds.
Anyway what's wrong with having both an Aranym setup and a Hatari setup around on the same workstation?
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:33 am

Anyway what's wrong with having both an Aranym setup and a Hatari setup around on the same workstation?

Nothing at all, I do. :D

Although I am using Aranym a lot less since I got a CT60 with working USB memory stick transfer. :mrgreen:

Another point of interest with Aranym is that it started off being semi-compatible with the Falcon and able to run a lot of its software. Nowadays with newer versions of Aranym, they seem to have moved away from that and repositioned it as a generic high-end Atari/GEM virtual machine. This was the ultimate intention, of course.
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:21 pm

I didn't mean to sound to negative before, but since my Hades060 crapped out I've been using it. There are ways around most of the minor issues. Indeed some things are quick. I can rebuild the entire GFA library from source (devpac) in about 17 seconds. Why rebuild one module when all 300+ only take 17 seconds. This way I never forget to update some changes. Also have Hatari alone side it for more proper testing.

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:00 pm

I was not really expecting to run older games and such.

More looking at a new "standard" platform for apps and ported games and such. Something that might also share some apps with a Firebee system, making development more appealing.

I was kind of wondering if the system is even stable enough to make such a setup viable?

Shnae
Shane

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:24 pm

warp12 wrote:I was just wondering why the Aranym environment is not "the new "st"? It seems to have so many features, even comparable to the Firebee in some respects.

Is it buggy, picky with it's host OS, or??

I'm just curious. I'd love to set up such a system, one that was usuable for productivity and games....but it seems really convoluted.

Shane

I use it since a Windows version exist, I done the first port on this sytem! I like it, this is a very good virtual machine or a good emulator. Aranym is not very well understand I think. It can be used as a simple falcon emulator but a bit incomplete running TOS4 or as a real virtual machine with native VDI, hostfs (I'm able to use Atari GCC on it without problems) and some other native system extension. When you use native feature of course Aranym is far faster and you can be in full screen using the same resolution as your host computer, someone said have problem with mouse grab, in fact he probably not use the good option: UseHostMouseCursor = Yes.
I develop all my softwares on it for a lot of years now without important problem.

Olivier
OL

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:49 pm

warp12 wrote:I was not really expecting to run older games and such.

More looking at a new "standard" platform for apps and ported games and such. Something that might also share some apps with a Firebee system, making development more appealing.

For MiNT / multitasking AES which are both used on Aranym and Firebee, they are quite comparable. For command line, or clean multi-tasking friendly GEM application development Aranym is quite OK.

But you can forget the Aranym VDI / display acceleration if you want to access screen memory directly, that will get just crashes. For anything doing direct screen access (like most games) or that's supposed to run e.g. on Falcon, I would recommend Hatari and plain TOS.

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”