Best desktop with Aranym?

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Best desktop with Aranym?

Postby lschafroth » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:09 am

I am using macaranym JIT IEEE on my macbook pro with Snow Leopard. I have the AFROS image installed but it looks pretty plain.
This also has a experimental network driver built in.

What is the best desktop people are using now? There seems to be so many different ones. What is the most current I can run with this setup? Internet apps?

I've never found a guide to get aranym running in linux so I am using the osx version. If someone has a step by step guide to running it on a linux os I would love to get it up and running. I can do this under virtualbox on the mac or dedicate a pc laptop to the project.

thanks!

Lannie

lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Best desktop with Aranym?

Postby lschafroth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Anyone? no suggestions? I want to install the latest offerings as a desktop but dont know what that is.

gilles504
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gilles504 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:54 pm

for linux... Aranym is in official ubuntu repository (universe), you can just use synaptic or similar tool to install.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:03 am

I presume you mean an atari desktop? If so, then Thing is still being developed or, if you fancy putting your hand in your pocket, you can still get Jinnee from ASH
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:01 am

lschafroth wrote:Anyone? no suggestions? I want to install the latest offerings as a desktop but dont know what that is.

Well, the latest offering desktop.... unfortunately is Teradesk, if by latest offering, you mean the latest updated version.
Teradesk is not the desktop with most features, others such as Thing, Jinnee and Ease offers much more features.
However, the last updated version of these other desktop were released much earlier than the Teradesk latest release.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:04 am

Dal wrote:I presume you mean an atari desktop? If so, then Thing is still being developed or, if you fancy putting your hand in your pocket, you can still get Jinnee from ASH

yes, Thing would be the desktop to look out for.... it was open-sourced last year (or so).
However, we are still yet to get hold of the latest version, the version we can get off the web now (v1.27) been around for eons.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lschafroth » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:17 am

If I download thing, are there any other things I have to install? fonts? video drivers? I see the desktops people show off on their firebees and modded falcons and the thing desktop looks nothing like them.

The only time I used Jinne was on a 4Mb STE but the hard drive died just after getting it installed and the lack of video cards I didnt get very far.

Lannie

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:13 am

Not sure what you are after but here something for you to think about:

1. Jinee, Thing & Ease does wall paper but in 256 colours only.
2. MyAES & Mint 1.18 does wall paper in 32 bits colour, which works great with Aranym.
3. MyAES have very nice window frames - windframes
4. Mint 1.18 have very nice widgets, makes windows frames also very nice.
5. Mint 1,18 has gradients, which makes windows looks nice. Adds colours to your windows structures.
6. Mint since 1,16 has nice textured looks give nice looking dialogbox and buttons.

lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lschafroth » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:50 am

wongck wrote:Not sure what you are after but here something for you to think about:
2. MyAES & Mint 1.18 does wall paper in 32 bits colour, which works great with Aranym.
5. Mint 1,18 has gradients, which makes windows looks nice. Adds colours to your windows structures.

What is MyAES? I want to understand the whole structure and what each piece does. The most mature OS I ever used on the Atari was TOS 1.4! lol

I have so much to learn!! :) I will try Debian and aranym with full network support then try Mint & MyAES. Does this work well in a virtualbox on the mac or should I dedicate a seperate machine to it? I have a few nice HP laptops lying around I could use. I cant wait to get into the Atari world again.

Maybe someday I will fork out the money for a FireBee.

Lannie

lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lschafroth » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:13 am

I installed aranym under Debian squeeze by issuing apt-get install aranym

when I run aramym-mmu I get a lot of errors. I cant cut and paste the virtualbox screen contents to here. not sure how

get a no such file error trying to open /dev/fbo or /dev/fb/o

error opening framebuffer device

could not initalize system_core

I cannot find a guide anywhere that shows you haw to install Debian and aranym from scratch. The only guides I find give some basic instructions but not enough to install it.

Lannie

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:27 am

MyAES can be found here.
You can see an example of how it looks like here.
You can also see a Youtube video of it done by the creator of MyAES on the MyAES site. :thumbs:

Edit: edited the url correctly.
Last edited by wongck on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:28 am

lschafroth wrote:I installed aranym under Debian squeeze by issuing apt-get install aranym
Sorry, i use windoze version aranym only.
guides an information is what you find on the web. I do not know of any other resources.

MrMaddog
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MrMaddog » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:28 am

Right, how to run Aranym under Linux...

Go to http://aranym.org/download.html and download the latest version based on what OS you have. If you have Ubuntu then type "sudo apt-get install aranym" in a terminal window

Also download AFROS, that's the FreeMint OS you need to use, and unzip where ever you want

Do NOT run Aranym from the menu, it doesn't know where the config file is located (it's in your AFROS folder)

Then use Terminal to do to what ever directory you unzipped AFROS and type "aranym -c config"

It'll start up and you should see a EmuTOS screen, and then it'll boot into FreeMint.

Feel free to change the settings in config to how you like it (I recommend turning off JIT). Hope this helps...

gilles504
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gilles504 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:04 am

errors with /dev/fb0 are related to framebuffer (ie physical screen access).
try to run as root user or add your user to a specific group to access framebufer...
also maybe avoid fullscreen for first startup.

lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lschafroth » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:22 pm

gilles504 wrote:errors with /dev/fb0 are related to framebuffer (ie physical screen access).
try to run as root user or add your user to a specific group to access framebufer...
also maybe avoid fullscreen for first startup.

I was running it as root. I wonder if this is because it is running a virtual machine. I will try it on a real computer with debian or ubuntu on it. When installing the linux system, what x windows desktop environment should I run? Do I even need one since I want this to boot directly to aranym?

thanks everyone!!

Lannie

lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lschafroth » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:28 am

wongck wrote:MyAES can be found here.
You can see an example of how it looks like here.
You can also see a Youtube video of it done by the creator of MyAES on the MyAES site. :thumbs:

Edit: edited the url correctly.

I downloaded the myaes and the instructions talk about copying files from the gemsys folder from the myaes zip file. there is no gemsys folder in that file so step one of the process does not work.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:44 am

Well, The instructions simply means:
Put all the files you find in the ZIP file into your C:\GEMSYS\MYAES folder.

1. Go to your C: drive and double click GEMSYS folder. IF none, create the GEMSYS folder.
2. UNZIP the archive into here.

For STZIP, make sure the destination is set to C:\GEMSYS\ before you unzip it.
It should create a MYAES folder inside your GEMSYS folder.
Inside the MYAES folder you will find the desk folder, libs folder, log folder, skin folder etc etc etc.

lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lschafroth » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:51 pm

" First get the MyAES archive and depack it in any place you want. After depacking you get a folder named myaes, there you will find a folder gemsys and two files, 'install.txt' and 'myaes2.tos'. Copy the content of the gemsys folder to C:\GEMSYS and copy the file 'myaes2.tos' to C:\GEMSYS\MYAES. "

that was the instructions so it was saying there should be a gemsys folder to copy from so I was confused. I will try again.

lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lschafroth » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:06 am

I tried the instructions at this site:
http://www.st-katharina-apotheke.de/ata ... exte=myaes

the instructions dont match the files. There is no etc/ttytab file to edit to start myaes.
I will search and see if there is a up to date and accurate guide on how to install it.

Lannie

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:57 am

lschafroth wrote:I tried the instructions at this site:
http://www.st-katharina-apotheke.de/ata ... exte=myaes

the instructions dont match the files. There is no etc/ttytab file to edit to start myaes.
I will search and see if there is a up to date and accurate guide on how to install it.

Lannie

These are for the EasyMint SpareMint Installation, that will create the /etc/ttytab file. That ttytab file start the AES.
Did you install SpareMint using EasyMint ?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:02 am

lschafroth wrote:" First get the MyAES archive and depack it in any place you want. After depacking you get a folder named myaes, there you will find a folder gemsys and two files, 'install.txt' and 'myaes2.tos'. Copy the content of the gemsys folder to C:\GEMSYS and copy the file 'myaes2.tos' to C:\GEMSYS\MYAES. "

I am sorry but where did you find these instructions from?

The instructions that I was referrring to was those inside the "myaes094a.zip" file-name "myaes.txt", under the section "Folders".
It's not much of installation instruction, as it is only like this:

Code: Select all

All need files should be put in a folder name "myaes" generaly by default put in "C:\gemsys\"
(for change this look above this text file)
In this folder you can find:

myaes
     -> "desk" folder
        -> select.prg
        -> alert.prg
        -> masreal.prg (need for realtime winframe (mutitask system only))
     -> "libs" folder
        -> jpg.ldg
        -> mem.ldg
        -> screen.ldg
     -> "log" folder
     -> "skins" folder
        -> diffrent folder, each folder correspond to widget skin
           -> dwidgets.ldg
           -> dwidgets.inf
           -> Probably a lot of picture depend of the windframe
           -> possible myaes.cnf for redefine some cinfiguration like menu background color
     -> myaes.tos (the AES itself can be put anywhere)
     -> myaesrsc.rsc
     -> myaes.cnf)
     -> keytabls.sys (optional)
     -> myaes.pal (optional)

If you installed SpareMint using EasyMint, then the instructions that I gave you will not work.

Sorry to have confused you. :angel:

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”