Xbios 5

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

rockyone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Xbios 5

Postby rockyone » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:17 pm

Problem with Setscreen (Xbios 5) and Omikron Basic (always him !!! :twisted: :twisted: )

With Steem started in low resolution.

The transition to medium resolution is not correct

With Omikron V 3.03 it does not work !

With Omikron v3.06:
the number of plan is correct (2)
But the mouse remains in low resolution (320 * 200) :twisted:

Is there another parameter to get a good result ?

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Xbios 5

Postby AdamK » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:04 am

There are bugs in Xbios(5) prior to TOS 2.x. There is no reliable way to switch resolution of GEM desktop on runtime anyway, so Xbios(5) is mostly useless.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:34 am

It's a Xbios function after all, so you can't expect GEM to be notified by it. There have been some fixes in newer TOS versions to get around some of the quirks, but not all. It's only useful to change resolution inside a program that does not use GEM, as long as it does not forget to set the resolution back when exiting.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:28 am

ThorstenOtto wrote:It's a Xbios function after all, so you can't expect GEM to be notified by it.

As this is a layered OS, and XBIOS provides an interface to the graphics hardware, I would expect VDI to retrieve necessary parameters from XBIOS. After all, the VDI use Setscreen itself to configure the hardware.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:43 am

joska wrote:[After all, the VDI use Setscreen itself to configure the hardware.

Yes, that's the way it should be, but not the other way around. Theoretically, the correct way to change resolutions would be to open another physical workstation with the correct ID, then let VDI take care of calling Xbios(5). Only problem with this is that is does not work in TOS, because everything is tied very closely together in the ROMs.

rockyone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rockyone » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:09 am

ThorstenOtto wrote:It's a Xbios function after all, so you can't expect GEM to be notified by it. There have been some fixes in newer TOS versions to get around some of the quirks, but not all. It's only useful to change resolution inside a program that does not use GEM, as long as it does not forget to set the resolution back when exiting.

I can see that the Gem does not know the change of resolution.

But in Omikron V3.1 and v3.03, the Screen command allows you to change the resolution and have the mouse and functions of the correct drawings with all versions of TOS I have tested (but not the file selector and the warning boxes)

Unfortunately, this function is modified in version 3.06 and no longer works properly

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:30 am

ThorstenOtto wrote:Yes, that's the way it should be, but not the other way around.

If you by that mean that XBIOS should not modify VDI variables or call VDI functions I totally agree. But how it *should* work in this case is that VDI should use video settings from XBIOS, so whenever video settings changes - e.g. by calling Setscreen - VDI will automatically pick up the changes.

But I'm fully aware that it doesn't work like that. One of many annoying and unnecessary shortcomings in TOS. The ST could easily had supported multiple screens with different resolutions, just like the Amiga, instead of having to reboot.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:59 am

I seem to remember this ,,,
try looking at some of the demos on disk , they have the answer.....
its like
using a long as binary
or
setting the ipl level or anding it ...

I cant recall its been so long ..feel like im just making this up anyhow
The radioactive half-life : )
Atari is a lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! ! Im printing unreadable characters ...!

rockyone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rockyone » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Charles, I did not find any program making any change of resolution.

Social Media

Return to “Other BASIC”