Graphic format specification for STOS graphics?

STOS-related stuff in here please

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

darkhog
Retro freak
Retro freak

Graphic format specification for STOS graphics?

Postby darkhog » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:16 am

Where can I find info about how STOS saves image files (ones created with its graphic utility)? Reason I'm asking is that I'm sick of builtin sprite editor and I've remembered just today that I've done graphic tool for another "oldschool" thing called Megazeux to edit graphics with as Megazeux's graphic editor was at the time at least even more crap. I could adapt this utility for making graphics for STOS. This would be a separate app so some purists may not like it and the program is very basic, only plotting pixels, but should be enough for most homebrew purposes.

The thing I need to know however is what is binary format of sprited-saved graphics is (what is saved where and how, whether there is some header info I need to adhere to so STOS will load it properly, etc.) so I can adapt save/load routines appropriately.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Graphic format specification for STOS graphics?

Postby exxos » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:08 am

You should be using bobs from the missing link extension for a start.

IIRC the sprite editor can grab sprites from Pi1 images, so you could do sprites in any graphic program and just grab the images into the sprite editor. It be far easier than trying to re-invent a sprite editor.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:27 pm

It can also be used to grab pictures from PRG files too... in fact, it will look at ANY file if you change the file extension in the fileselector.
Do not confuse this with PI1 grabber, which i think is either the icon below or above?

lol, there are so many instances this was used, its like a miniature graphics ripper.

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I think the format is in appendix of the STOS manual?
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

Spectone
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Spectone » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:36 am

MiggyMog wrote:I think the format is in appendix of the STOS manual?

Yes Appendix F has the format of the Sprite Bank and other things.

Social Media

Return to “STOS”