New STOS editor

STOS-related stuff in here please

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: New STOS editor

Postby darklight » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:16 pm

StickHead wrote:Very interested! Sounds great. :D Hands a bit full at the minute for STOS coding, but one day (hopefully soon) I hope to contribute to the ST homebrew scene. I was working on a Advance Wars clone at one point, but life took over. This prog looks very useful. Keep up the good work!

Keep me posted on that - loved that game! :cheers:
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

bobnsam
Atariator
Atariator

Postby bobnsam » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:07 pm

I downloaded to the alpha to have a look at at home this weekend.

Is there any further development on this as this looks excellent! (being a amateur VB 2008 programmer)

Thanks

J

woody.cool
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby woody.cool » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:45 am

I'm really interested in this.
I made a game in AMOS on the Amiga and I intend (if I can) to port it to STOS 8O
Wish me luck!

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:46 pm

I made a game in AMOS on the Amiga and I intend (if I can) to port it to STOS

AMOS is far more powerful than STOS & then there are the hardware differences. Does your game use scrolling, mod music or big sprites? STOS can only really cope with simple games where there is not much going on without additional extensions and calling machine code routines. If it is a simple puzzler or adventure type game then a conversion would likely be possible.
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

woody.cool
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby woody.cool » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:40 pm

MiggyMog wrote:
I made a game in AMOS on the Amiga and I intend (if I can) to port it to STOS

AMOS is far more powerful than STOS & then there are the hardware differences. Does your game use scrolling, mod music or big sprites? STOS can only really cope with simple games where there is not much going on without additional extensions and calling machine code routines. If it is a simple puzzler or adventure type game then a conversion would likely be possible.

No, my game is a simple asteroids shooter, not much to it tbh.
No scrolling, there is a piece of mod music on the title screen, but I can do without out that at first. The sprites are not big nor do they have many colours. The game was written to work on the most basic Amiga (so, the Amiga 1000 or early Amiga 500) so expect it MAY be possible to get it converted into STOS, just unsure of what's missing in STOS (other that what's mentioned above)
Failing all this, I'll create a new game in STOS rather than trying to port my Amiga game.

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:10 pm

woody.cool wrote:Failing all this, I'll create a new game in STOS rather than trying to port my Amiga game.

Very cool, Woody! If you need any graphics, give me a shout. In fact, I'm hoping to learn how to use MaxYMiser soon (thanks to the new tutorial by Excellence in Art), so if you want a chip tune to replace the mod, I might be able to help you out there too.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

woody.cool
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby woody.cool » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:05 pm

StickHead wrote:
woody.cool wrote:Failing all this, I'll create a new game in STOS rather than trying to port my Amiga game.

Very cool, Woody! If you need any graphics, give me a shout. In fact, I'm hoping to learn how to use MaxYMiser soon (thanks to the new tutorial by Excellence in Art), so if you want a chip tune to replace the mod, I might be able to help you out there too.

Thanks for the offer.
I may actually be calling upon your services, as I'm crap at graphics design.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:25 pm

There are STOS extensions (like Missing Link) which will boost the power of your basic STOS into something a little more souped up for better games etc.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:17 pm

Exxos posted a version of STOS on page two of this thread that is packed with lots of extensions. That would be worth a look.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

woody.cool
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby woody.cool » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:10 pm

StickHead wrote:Exxos posted a version of STOS on page two of this thread that is packed with lots of extensions. That would be worth a look.

Yeah, I think I found that from the STOS Time Tunnel website. It's the one with BASIC208.PRG isn't it?
Seems to work a treat.

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:28 pm

there is a piece of mod music on the title screen

You could probably keep the mod music for the intro. I have three incomplete versions of a game I started to make in STOS one has a quartet tune another has a Mod and the other has a digidrum TRIsound chiptune.
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

Stethane
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Stethane » Fri May 02, 2014 2:16 pm

I was wondering if anything ever came of STOSDev. The old link to the alpha version no longer works. I think it still looks useful though.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Fri May 02, 2014 2:32 pm

It is better to look at this STOS news thread for information rather than the website as I have not had chance to finish updating it due to working on hardware mods of late.

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=26237
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

Social Media

Return to “STOS”