C++ Compiler on Atari ?

C and PASCAL (or any other high-level languages) in here please

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

C++ Compiler on Atari ?

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:46 am

I've been coding in C++ for over 10 years (started with the ATT C++ pre-processor!) and I would like to write C++ code for Atari.

I have used the Lattice C and Pure C compilers on Atari (unfortunately documentation is a problem especially on library content/usage) as both of them seems to implement reasonably well the ANSI C standard. However it is a pain to "think in C" after so many years …

Is there a C++ compiler with libraries and utilities ready to use on Atari? A search on Web seems to indicate that at one point in time gcc was available?

Thanks
Jean

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:50 am

It still is available but I think someone with more knowledge of the current ST version of GCC will be able to point you to a download for it.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:47 am

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:52 am

This is great not only the C++ compiler but all my old unix friends ...

Just a small complementary question:
From what I know Mint/sparemint are a free equivalent to TOS ?
So all the nice packages for sparemint should work directly on an Atari ST with TOS 1.4?

Thanks
Jean

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:18 am

I have gcc on my system, but it's an 060 with 128mb of fastram.
It also works on my TT, but the TT has a 64mb fastram upgrade as well.

I am not sure what the minimum requirements are these days. Maybe someone else knows the ram/cpu requirements.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:39 am

My two "physical systems" are ST and STe both with 4MB ram and one with HD (only 20MB !!!).
But I suppose I can use STeem?

By the way I saw on another thread that you have some "developer source code" ...

I am currently coding a low level (below BIOS) routines to acess FDC/DMA and possibly timers. Do you have any source for that (actually in this case most probably assembly?!)?

Thanks

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:17 pm

If I recall 4mb might just barely run mint with all those extra goodies. Not really sure though.

Steem won't run MiNT far as I know.

All that I have to offer is at http://dev-docs.atariforge.org/
135mb of official Atari documents and files. There are some related to Western Digital and DMA access on the floppy. Maybe those will help.

Beyond that I do everything else in GFA-Basic. :lol:

Zorro 2
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Zorro 2 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:58 pm

There are some exemples of asm source code from the megacrew Holocaust here : http://www.codercorner.com/Holocaust.htm.
Member of NoExtra Team

bolle
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby bolle » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:10 am

DrCoolZic wrote:But I suppose I can use STeem?

I sometimes thought about using STEEM for development. But in my experience, it is not stable enough for that.

Another point is that you never know why things went wrong. When STEEM offers my these bloody bombs, I never know whether it's because of (my) code I'm testing or because of STEEM running its emulation.

So for me as a software engineer earning money with Java and C++, development on Atari is to rehearse basic techniques in algorithms and the like (in straight ANSI C). :lol:
Last edited by bolle on Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:06 am

bolle wrote:
DrCoolZic wrote:But I suppose I can use STeem?

I sometimes thought about using STEEM for development. But in my experience, it is not stable enough for that.

Another point is that you never know why things went wrong. When STEEM offers my these bloody bombs, I never know whether it's because of (my) code I'm testing or because of STEEM running its emulation.

So for me as a software engineer earning money with Java and C++, development on Atari is to rehearse basic techniques in algorithms and the like.

I only run the compiler in STeem but it is true: STeem has an hard time running the compiler. I think the problem is in the harddisk emulation. If you want to use GCC as compiler why don't you set it up as a cross compiler. GCC is very good at it AFAIK.

Hans Wessels

Social Media

Return to “C / PASCAL etc.”