to c or not to c

C and PASCAL (or any other high-level languages) in here please

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

to c or not to c

Postby Mr.JT » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:10 am

i've done quite a lot of coding at university in c, c++, java, perl etc and made some complex programs with opengl graphics. however all i actually want to do is code some stuff on my atari but dont know really where to start! What would be the best starting point, especially from the point of coding graphics... Straight in with C (what package and are there tutorials for the atari?) or start by playing around with STOS and its graphics? (so where can i get that?!) I have a falcon and an Ste so i guess that should cover most options!

Cheers

JT

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:17 am

What do you want to code?

If it's gem stuff, then gfa/c is the best bet. For the rest asm :)

Mr Pink/RG uses Pure C for games though, grab it at http://rg.atari.org

George
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:29 am

STOS is great for just jumping in and getting something to happen. once youre fed up of line numbers (i NEVER got fed up ;) ) you move on to C. then ultimately ASM.
AKA Megadaz / Black Eagle --- STOS, Dungeon Master and Captive fan!

Proud member of the GameBaseST team.
Founder of the one-man DemoBaseST team!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:59 am

Or GFA + Terry King's Spriteworks will help you get a simple platform game up and running in no time.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: to c or not to c

Postby PaulB » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:54 am

Mr.JT wrote:STOS and its graphics? (so where can i get that?!)

You can get Stos plus source code from here http://stos.atari.st/

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Re: to c or not to c

Postby Nyh » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:04 pm

Mr.JT wrote:i've done quite a lot of coding at university in c, c++, java, perl etc and made some complex programs with opengl graphics. however all i actually want to do is code some stuff on my atari but dont know really where to start! What would be the best starting point, especially from the point of coding graphics... Straight in with C (what package and are there tutorials for the atari?) or start by playing around with STOS and its graphics? (so where can i get that?!) I have a falcon and an Ste so i guess that should cover most options!

I would start with Pure C. As graphics lib you might try http://www.reservoir-gods.com/source.htm. There you can find the compiler, the lib and some example code. A real programmer will not be satisfied with the code of someone else and code all the routines himself in assembly.

If you are interested I can give you the sourcecode of the heartland 2000 project. A little game a worked on some years ago. The game engine is C. All drawing routines are in assembly.

Hans Wessels

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr.JT » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:44 pm

Thanks for the replies. think im going to give pure c a crack on the falcon. as i am already very familiar with c it will probably give me the fastest way in...especially with the libraries from rg. ok so i should do some myself but at the moment i just want to get familiar with the environment and see some results. Prob start with a few games but once im going im happy to help any projects that need it! The more atari stuff we can produce the better! Are the rumours true that there isnt a colour coded editor available for the falcon? maybe thats what i should write first...!?

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:04 am

QED will do syntax highlighting. http://heinisoft.atari-users.net/

It does not really have much beyond that though, as far as coding. Like clicking a call won't let you jump to the procedure definition or such, just basic highlighting. Although the highlighting can be customized somewhat.

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:20 am

Mr.JT wrote:As i am already very familiar with c it will probably give me the fastest way in...especially with the libraries from rg. ok so i should do some myself but at the moment i just want to get familiar with the environment and see some results. Prob start with a few games but once im going im happy to help any projects that need it! The more atari stuff we can produce the better! Are the rumours true that there isnt a colour coded editor available for the falcon? maybe thats what i should write first...!?

Writing a colour coded editor and writing games are two very different things. For an editor you will have to make yourself familiar with GEM and the OS. For games you need to know a few things from the OS (a few GEMDOS calls) and a lot about the hardware (interrupts, video memory layout, video hardware, sound hardware, etc.). Start with a simple game like Snake or Tron to warm up a bit and learn the basic gaming skills. Then advance to something simple with sprites. Then start to think about a real project.

Hans Wessels

Social Media

Return to “C / PASCAL etc.”