How to detect opened files in Mint/MagiC ?

C and PASCAL (or any other high-level languages) in here please

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:44 am

When a file is opened for writing, I can still delete it using another program. :roll:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: How to detect opened files in Mint/MagiC ?

Postby joska » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:34 pm

IIRC this is a known bug in MagiC. But does this happen under MiNT as well?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:25 pm

Yes, in Mint as well.

Program A opens a text file for writing, slowly, for 30 secs, writing 100 bytes every sec.
I can see the file created.
Program B then runs and delete the text file and exits.
Program A continues to write as if nothing had happens. On desktop window, I can see that the file turned into a folder 8O icon !!!
Program A finally exits, and luckily the folder (which was a text file) is gone.

In program B, I test for opened file the brute force way:
1. open it for writing.... can be opened.
2. rename the file.... can be renamed.

So are there any system functions to do this properly?
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:35 pm

I expected Fdelete to return with an error if the file was open by another process, but I can't see anything in the implementation of Fdelete that suggest that this is the case. So the behavior you describe appears to be by design. The docs even say not to apply this function to open files.

Maybe you can use Fselect to check if the file can be written to or not.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby m0n0 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:29 pm

Hello,

I would expect this behavior.

At least when you didn't specify:

A.) the file sharing attributes via Fopen()
B.) Did not lock the file via Flock()

I would be in doubt if you previously locked the file with some locking system call... maybe the lock is only for informational purpose and so you have to query the locking status before deleting the file (via Fcntl()).

Greets,
Ole

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:55 am

Well, I know of the locks but it is not me that I am worry about right here.

It's the other programs... I doubt that others developer are locking them especially when the programs are done years ago.

Some background to the question:
It is really for PH Easy Remote Print, specifically the auto job submission via the watch folder.
It is suppose to detect for a file (print job saved as a file) and then submit the lpd server, after which it will delete it.
Any programs can write into this watch folder and that's where the issue is.

The thing is that I simulated a slow write to simulate the job submission. PH Easy Remote Print cannot detect that the file is still being written and submitted the job (printed out partially) and deleted the simulated file.

Sure the release version is now making some smart decisions as to when the file is completed or not, but it would be taking less resources if it can just look up a list of opened files (like in Linux or Windows).

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby m0n0 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:01 am

hm, I'm pretty sure it is possible by becoming intimate with the kernel ;)

(It looks like the fd symlinks under /kern/PID/fd aren't populated completly / as expected... anyway, that would only work for FreeMiNT)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:12 am

m0n0 wrote:hm, I'm pretty sure it is possible by becoming intimate with the kernel ;)
(It looks like the fd symlinks under /kern/PID/fd aren't populated completly / as expected... anyway, that would only work for FreeMiNT)

Was planning to have a dig at the kernel over Christmas, if time permits. :P
But I need something that works for both Mint & Magic. :roll:

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:56 am

Why do you have to delete the file? If you use NVDI "print to file", it will always print to the same file, overwriting the previous one. So instead of deleting the file when you've printed it, you can set the "archived"-flag and check for this at regular intervals. When this flag is cleared, it means that the file has changed since the last time you printed it.

So you can use your current trick (I guess you check it's size, wait a bit and then see if the file has grown to determine if it's OK to print it) to determine when to print the file, then set the archive bit and use this to detect when NVDI has overwritten the file.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:40 pm

Actually deleting it or not does not matter, as you also know that NVDI is using the same filename and there are ways pointed by you to find this out.

Most critical is to know when it is finished writing, then the transfer to lpd server can begin.
Checking file size is only as good if the change in size happens before the next checking.
The page being rendered may be large and complex, and slow down the output to hd.
Checking the file happens before NVDI can write.... partial transfer happens.
It's not 100% fool proof, as I have written in the user doc.

Secondary issue is that the actual start of transfer to lpd may also be delayed couple of seconds.
Worst case is when NVDI completes immediately after PH ERP test. Takes one more cycle before printout starts.

Social Media

Return to “C / PASCAL etc.”