C and PASCAL (or any other high-level languages) in here please

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Clayton Walnum's C-manship Complete released as HYPertext

Postby lp » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:33 pm

Ahoy,
If you want to learn "C", this might be the one for you.

HYPertext Book:
http://dev-docs.atariforge.org/files/cmanship.hyp

Optional disk:
http://dev-docs.atariforge.org/files/cmanship.zip

Again, made available by the kindness of Clayton Walnum.
Enjoy.
Last edited by lp on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

jtdon99
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Clayton Walnum's C-manship Complete released as HYPertext

Postby jtdon99 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:33 am

Thanks Lonny

Jim D

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:19 am

Got a 'C' tutorial on the pile of disks to image - will try and get it uploaded soon.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:42 pm

I have updated the C-manship HYP. Reworked the formatting so it's easier to read and it looks a lot more like the book layout in that regard. Also several formatting errors corrected on various pages. It's now at revision 0.60, download it at the same url as before. :coffe:

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:17 pm

I was looking for a book to start on GEM and C-Manship does a good job on the subject. Thanks for providing the book.
I suspect that the convertion to .hyp file was done to stay close with the original book? I am asking the question because the the paragraph are splitted in odd places that makes the reading difficult and to be honest I hate .hyp files....
Therefore to make the book more readable I have started to convert to pdf but this is a lot of work...
You'll find attached the first 6 chapters. Any interest ???
Cheers
Jean

Updated 9/25/08 - I removed the preliminary attachement as I have "published" the first 26 chapters here viewtopic.php?f=70&t=14954&p=128273#p128273
Last edited by DrCoolZic on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:39 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:I was looking for a book to start on GEM and C-Manship does a good job on the subject. Thanks for providing the book.
I suspect that the convertion to .hyp file was done to stay close with the original book? I am asking the question because the the paragraph are splitted in odd places that makes the reading difficult and to be honest I hate .hyp files....
Therefore to make the book more readable I have started to convert to pdf but this is a lot of work...
You'll find attached the first 6 chapters. Any interest ???

Wow! I'm impressed. Very nice conversion. HYPs are fine on Atari for looking stuff up but I don't see myself reading a whole chapter of a book on screen. I'd rather have it on paper. Good work.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:55 am

DrCoolZic wrote:I was looking for a book to start on GEM and C-Manship does a good job on the subject. Thanks for providing the book.

Yes, the page layout is that of the actual book, otherwise the index would have to be all redone as the page numbers become messed up and I wanted to be able to use the index. Looking up stuff is important to me so I wanted to retain the index of the actual book.

Well I don't really like PDF myself, but then PDF ain't so hot on a real Atari. Making a PDF on an Atari is probably not even possible? I don't know, but somehow I doubt it. :)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:53 am

lp wrote:Yes, the page layout is that of the actual book, otherwise the index would have to be all redone as the page numbers become messed up and I wanted to be able to use the index. Looking up stuff is important to me so I wanted to retain the index of the actual book.
This make sense, but it only requires to redo the index as I have done for the TOC in the example.

Well I don't really like PDF myself, but then PDF ain't so hot on a real Atari. Making a PDF on an Atari is probably not even possible? I don't know, but somehow I doubt it. :)
I guess my goal is different: I do not want to look at the book on a real Atari as I will not make any developement on a real Atari. My goal is to be able to print the book to read "off line" and to be able to use it as a reference with all the hyperlink on a PC running Steem while doing development. This is the reasons why pdf is suitable for me, but html or chm would also be OK.
The main reason I am doing development on PC is that I can have a decent environment that includes a very powerful editor (actual code shown in my translation are comming from it) than has key colored display, powerful find and replace, intellisense, etc... + Doxygen for documentation purpose + CVS for revision control +++

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:24 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:I guess my goal is different: I do not want to look at the book on a real Atari as I will not make any developement on a real Atari. My goal is to be able to print the book to read "off line" and to be able to use it as a reference with all the hyperlink on a PC running Steem while doing development. This is the reasons why pdf is suitable for me, but html or chm would also be OK.
The main reason I am doing development on PC is that I can have a decent environment that includes a very powerful editor (actual code shown in my translation are comming from it) than has key colored display, powerful find and replace, intellisense, etc... + Doxygen for documentation purpose + CVS for revision control +++

I use QED with syntax highlighting/color and CVS on my Atari and hyp is my choice for docs. I find every emulator has quirks, odd key mapping at places and never 100% compatible in reality. Granted CVS on my Atari don't have a cute gui, but I prefer to stick to my Atari for all dev. ;)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:46 am

For information I have converted the first 26 chapters (all chapters except the description of the program example). Look at it it is very nice.
I have uploaded the book in the viewtopic.php?f=70&t=14954&p=128273#p128273 thread
Jean

A NEW VERSION with Credit to Lonny has been uploaded please chack page 3
Last edited by DrCoolZic on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:19 am

I don't mind the PDF port, it's helpful, but you could at least retain the original porting credits? I spent a lot of time on that, wrote a program to extract the text from something like 30 or so individual files, formatted it all, fixed all the fonts that were characters (wingdats), some of the images I made by hand because I could not get Calamus to export them correctly.

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:00 pm

hold on to your hats !!! i just tried pure c today ?
kinda like pascal ..i need a few tips for guidence.

and this cmanship link is very resourcefull , thanks
i just might have a couple questions and i'm that this is what the forum is for.

charles
atari is my lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! !,
Im printing unreadable characters ...!

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:30 pm

Charles: stick to one craft until you master it and then move on to another. You will not gain anything by switching languages like wild.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:21 pm

by charles on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:00 am
hold on to your hats !!! i just tried pure c today ?
kinda like pascal ..i need a few tips for guidence.

and this cmanship link is very resourcefull , thanks
i just might have a couple questions and i'm that this is what the forum is for.

I don't wear a hat, but I agree with Simon. You consistently bounce to another language upon getting stuck. You can go into one of your long messy replies about how it's technology, it's fun, like to explore... dig through sources... etc... but I can tell you, you are only hurting yourself with this approach. If you are serious about writing a full application, take his advise and master one language. Ignore the rest entirely.

When I get stuck I just get more determined to solve it and I'll hammer out a solution or workaround. If I have to use my own code to by pass a built in call, so be it. That's the beauty of programming.

Also, every time you switch languages, it's like effectively starting over because you have to figure out all the quirks of the language itself because they are all discontinued and have flaws that never got fixed.

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:13 pm

don't worry about me , theres alot to master, i'm trying to find a middle point , you know
feel comfortable with the programs that take the same approach ,
and which share the same commands ,
so far omikron ,
gfa
pascal
and c
all are reletivilly similar when calling gem, aes vdi ..like the appl init , rsc load..vdi handle
graf handle...open window ...that knida stuff...

the comprisong variables are all aboput the same
consistancy
where in comparision to fast basic and st basic
and this crazy asm .s files they suck...

.gfa is still mainily used until i do an over haul and port to pascal....

c and asm
lets say only get about an hour worth time each day
getting a custom to if that

but where i work out ideals for about
four hours in gfa or pascal..

.omikron is only a language i say i know ,

i used alot three years agos,,then went back to gfa

,remember i spend about 4 to five hours aday
so if you think i just skip over stuff minutes at a time ,
its not so ,
i dedicate a alot of frre time to this hobby.

and i don't hide the fact either, its out in the open so all of us can discuss
the wide range of language application...

no running from my fears , i wish to zoom to the top and excel into self rewarding
program writing.

charles
HOLD ON ! ! !,

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:22 pm

lp wrote:I don't mind the PDF port, it's helpful, but you could at least retain the original porting credits? I spent a lot of time on that, wrote a program to extract the text from something like 30 or so individual files, formatted it all, fixed all the fonts that were characters (wingdats), some of the images I made by hand because I could not get Calamus to export them correctly.

Yes you are perfectly right and this is exactly what I intend to do but unfortunately this will come at the end! I still have about 5 or 6 chapters to go and them I promise that I will add the porting credits.
The reason I published the intermediate version is because it is nice for people that want to understand the work I am doing on GUI and which used a lot of techniques from Cayton...
Again sorry to have released an incomplete work and sorry for not mentioniong you yet.
Jean

NEW UPDATE - I JUST RELEASED A NEW VERSION WITH CREDIT TO YOU see page 3 of the document
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=14954&p=128273#p128273
Let me know if this is OK for you or I can modify the text
Thanks
Jean

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:20 pm

damn!!!!

if its not an other thing i need to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks dr cool zic

24/7 happiness to you !

charles-
always doing something....
HOLD ON ! ! !,

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:58 am

Well, charles if you haven't settled on a language after supposedly 6 years...
I rest my case. lol

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:15 am

DrCoolZic wrote:NEW UPDATE - I JUST RELEASED A NEW VERSION WITH CREDIT TO YOU see page 3 of the document
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=14954&p=128273#p128273
Let me know if this is OK for you or I can modify the text
Thanks
Jean

That's plenty fine. :cheers:
Very pleased that some find it useful. Especially if it keeps users coding on our beloved platform.

I wish I could get my hands on some more books like that, but so far all the others I've tried to track down didn't bother to keep copies of their work in electronic form. Most even say, they don't have a copy of their own book in print as well. Pity.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:11 am

lp wrote:I wish I could get my hands on some more books like that, but so far all the others I've tried to track down didn't bother to keep copies of their work in electronic form. Most even say, they don't have a copy of their own book in print as well. Pity.

FYI I have contacted Claus Brod for his book Scheibenkleister and he told me that he still has the sources somewhere (look at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11852&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ) but his problem is with the editor that still own the copyright ! Now it is one year and still no news !!!

By the way are you the person who maintain the wonderfull Atari documentation archive ? If so I think that I have some doc that may be of interest ?

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:15 am

DrCoolZic wrote:By the way are you the person who maintain the wonderfull Atari documentation archive ? If so I think that I have some doc that may be of interest ?

Yes, that's me. :coffe:

Social Media

Return to “C / PASCAL etc.”