Where to download GNU c++

C and PASCAL (or any other high-level languages) in here please

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

MadDonna
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Where to download GNU c++

Postby MadDonna » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:42 am

Hi, I tought that I had the files for this compiler, but no, at least I can't find them in the hunderds not filed disks in my library. I have never made a proper library so I hardly can't find anything. But the links on the internet, sorry Internet, are dead. Anybody who have a working link? Version 2.7 is sufficient.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Where to download GNU c++

Postby christos » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:24 pm

You can find an rpm of gcc in the sparemint site. gcc 2.9.5 (yes it includes c++). There is also a port of gcc 4.3 but no rpm yet. Gcc 2.95 is also included in the easymint devel part.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:36 pm

SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:25 am

Those are for Windows.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:36 pm

ouups :oops:
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

MadDonna
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MadDonna » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:37 pm

Yes I see it, it's ment for development for the atari on the win pc. Works flawless I presume, but I want to do it on the Atari itself so I need the 2.7 version of gnu c++, at least I think it is 2.7.
1 Atari 520ST, 1 Atari 1040STf, 1 Atari 1040 STfm, 2 Atari 1040 STe, 2 Atari Mega 1, 1 Atari Mega ST 2, 1 Mega STe, 1 Megafile 30, 1 Megafile with an IBM 1Gb replacement, 2 Atari TT030 and 1 Falcon

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:17 pm

GCC 3.3.6 port for mint by zorro here
http://zorro.arcadia-crew.com/misc.html
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:12 pm

Which version of GNU C++ or GNU C will run under GEM without MiNT on an ST, STE, TT, or Falcon? And where could I find a packaged install?
Courtesy is not an option.

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:42 pm

they have a old gcc tool kit made by Olivier Landemarre but I don't see a updated
package like this one
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:15 am

bjjones37 wrote:Which version of GNU C++ or GNU C will run under GEM without MiNT on an ST, STE, TT, or Falcon? And where could I find a packaged install?

Forget anything less than a Falcon, gcc is just too slow. A 14Mb Falcon is the absolute minimum, and I doubt than anything newer than 2.95 will work with 14Mb. I find gcc too slow on my Milan with a 060 and 128Mb RAM. I would never consider using it on a plain Falcon.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:34 pm

I saw a old gcc TOS program once.
Not sure where but it suppose to run on ST.
Not sure if it does C++ or not.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:05 pm

I found a few different versions of GCC. I am attempting to use GNU shell to run them. I have 2.58, 2.62, 2.72, and 2.81. Right now I am configuring it to run under STeem 3.2 with 14MB RAM at 32MHz with TOS 2.06. It seems to initiate a compile (after much tweaking) but it does not generate any object code and gives an error of 1 which means nothing to me.

Also, does anyone have a copy of GCC Shell? The download link is broken and I cannot find it anywhere else.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:42 pm

Well, if you plan to use an emulator go for aranym and a newer gcc (though cross compiling makes more sense). Seriously though with 14MB of RAM you can probably compile things up to "Hello world".

Anyway I've been using an atari as main computer till Saturday so there is really nothing I can say ;)

ftp://kurobox.serveftp.net:3021/programming/GCC/

http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/atari/programming/
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:39 am

bjjones37 wrote:and gives an error of 1 which means nothing to me.

At least not 42 :lol:

You mean this?
I found it in my dev folder archive :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:53 pm

I managed to get GCC 2.81 to begin the compilation process under the GULAM shell but when it invokes the Assembler is says "virtual memory exhausted". I have set up Steem to use 14M running at 32Mhz under TOS 2.06.

I tried again with GCC 2.72. It says it is unable to locate libc.a which indeed is not in my library folder. I suspect I simply need to give to it a correct directive.

I would like to use Aranym but am as yet unable to get it to mount a host file system unless I use the AFROS preconfiguration. I wanted to use Native TOS, not EmuTOS with a replacement desktop.

Eventually I want to migrate to the Falcon or TT030 once I have it running properly under the emulator.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:28 pm

bjjones37 wrote:I managed to get GCC 2.81 to begin the compilation process under the GULAM shell but when it invokes the Assembler is says "virtual memory exhausted". I have set up Steem to use 14M running at 32Mhz under TOS 2.06.

virtual memory????
is there such a thing for ST?
on TT/Falc there is a vmem so may be it's for these machines only??

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:55 pm

wongck wrote:
bjjones37 wrote:I managed to get GCC 2.81 to begin the compilation process under the GULAM shell but when it invokes the Assembler is says "virtual memory exhausted". I have set up Steem to use 14M running at 32Mhz under TOS 2.06.

virtual memory????

No, it's unix-lingo for "not enough memory" ;-) gcc is extremely memory hungry. Don't expect to be able to compile anything big on stock machines. I used to run out of memory on my 32Mb Afterburner when using gcc. It's also incredibly slow. I prefer to use PureC or AHCC, even on my Milan060.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:04 pm

I am getting that impression myself. I dropped down to GCC 2.72 and I do not get any messages about virtual memory. It compiles successfully, but when it goes to link, it says it cannot find libc.a. Sure enough I do not have that file in my GCC libraries. I tried the libc.a from Laser C on a lark, and sure enough it did not work. I tried to find the file on the Internet for GCC but was unsuccessful. Does anyone know where I can find it? Or perhaps know how to generate one for me for GCC 2.72?

Incidentally, I am using the Gulam CLI shell which is working great. I tried a couple of different GEM-based shells without success because of the library paths involved. Once I have a fully successful compile process, I will attempt to use a GEM shell program again. I have a couple of utilities that allow you to define paths for a GEM based environment.

My goal is simply a GEM based GNU C compiler without Mint.

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:04 pm

joska wrote:
wongck wrote:

virtual memory????

No, it's unix-lingo for "not enough memory" ;-) gcc is extremely memory hungry. Don't expect to be able to compile anything big on stock machines. I used to run out of memory on my 32Mb Afterburner when using gcc. It's also incredibly slow. I prefer to use PureC or AHCC, even on my Milan060.

Which version of GCC were you using at the time? Btw, at my stage I do not anticipate doing any big projects. For now I would be happy with a "Hello, World!", and them maybe a few sort routines. I am very rusty and need to review.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:58 pm

bjjones37 wrote:I am getting that impression myself. I dropped down to GCC 2.72 and I do not get any messages about virtual memory. It compiles successfully, but when it goes to link, it says it cannot find libc.a. Sure enough I do not have that file in my GCC libraries.

You need MiNTlib.

bjjones37 wrote:My goal is simply a GEM based GNU C compiler without Mint.

Christian Felsch made a TOS/MagiC-version of gcc 2.8.2. But this is quite pointless. Why do you need gcc for this? Wouldn't AHCC be a better choice?
Jo Even

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:00 pm

bjjones37 wrote:Which version of GCC were you using at the time? Btw, at my stage I do not anticipate doing any big projects. For now I would be happy with a "Hello, World!", and them maybe a few sort routines. I am very rusty and need to review.

I've been using 2.9.5 for ages.

You don't need gcc for what you describe. AHCC or PureC is a much, much better choice. Both will work fine even with plain ST's, although a harddrive is recommended.
Jo Even

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:11 pm

Yes AHCC should be a good bet. Only drawback on singletasking systems is that it cannot launch the freshly compiled code from its GUI. You have to quit to the desktop to launch it.

i personally don't use AHCC GEM GUI that often and use the CLI TTp instead. Works nice, simply drop the project file on it.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:35 pm

You are right of course. I have many other C compiler options. I have always been fascinated with operating systems and making things work. The ST was the first machine I ever delved into deeply. While I could load up Visual C on my Windows box and practice coding from there, programming on the ST feels like fun. I am actually modeling everything in a Gamebase interface first using Steem 3.2 as the primary emulator. I currently have 335 applications (not games) loaded into it and most all of them are usable except the GCC entries. It makes a great library archive and software backup for my ST. It is also great for modeling and testing and evaluating software before I transfer it to my ST. By ST, I mean MegaSTE, TT030, and Falcon. I was curious if I could use any of the GCC versions. I mean, I do not do this for a job or for work, I do it for a hobby. I do it for fun. Yeah I could learn C using Habba Hippo C version 1.0 on a single sided floppy. But the GCC project had me learning to use Gulam and MicroEmacs and a few other details. It is also, I am assuming, code compatible with the GNU C used in Linux which might actually allow some transfer of skill to Linux. I will never be a world class programmer. But I have hacked a program or two at the machine code level for TOS compliance and I have designed a memory upgrade for an Atari computer which worked great. My programming projects have always been small, like a program to calculate grade averages of my students of a business program to figure mortgage and savings. It would probably have been easier to use a spreadsheet. But it was more fun to write the program for it. So all I have to say for now is "Hello, World!" :mrgreen:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:49 am

My preference is Pure C on the ST.
But my other IDE UI tried was Laser C, and Pure C just runs rings around it.
A pity that Pure debugger can't run well under CT63.
But programming cycles are normal slow and easy going, so I may just drop back to 030 mode for programming.

OT: I tried that GCC 432 on Mint, and it works well on my CT63.

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:03 pm

wongck wrote:My preference is Pure C on the ST.
But my other IDE UI tried was Laser C, and Pure C just runs rings around it.
A pity that Pure debugger can't run well under CT63.
But programming cycles are normal slow and easy going, so I may just drop back to 030 mode for programming.

OT: I tried that GCC 432 on Mint, and it works well on my CT63.

I have not used Pure C. I really like Laser C but it requires a TOS of 1.4 or lower so I cannot use it on any of my systems I have set up. I guess I can just use it with Steem.

Social Media

Return to “C / PASCAL etc.”