Any good game creation tutorialsin GFA?

WireLord55
"Do...or do not. There is no try" - Yoda, Episode V

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Game coding

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue May 01, 2018 9:34 pm

I think one of the ST Format magazines had one. You should be able to find the correct magazine by browsing ST Format cover images, I think GFA was shown prominently in the cover.

WireLord55
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby WireLord55 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Where do i find the covers?

Thanks,

WireLord55

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Wed May 02, 2018 3:58 am

Hi again MrPixel :)
Anywhere, where there are scans of this magazine. Type "ST Format magazine" into any search engine ( can be for example http://www.google.com ) and check especially second and third resulted links.
If you are not much into GFA yet, and want to use Basic for games, maybe try to switch to STOS. Its Basic specifically for games creation.
I'm not saying GFA is 'bad', its not, its great Basic ( if not the best generally ) and there were many commercial and professional applications written in it back in the days, but if it goes for games I guess STOS is a little more straighforward in this direction. For example, here you would have the 300 page book regarding games creation in STOS:
http://www.atarimania.com/documents-ata ... s_1_S.html

mjvans
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mjvans » Wed May 02, 2018 4:03 pm

Hey WireLord55 an advise from an old Atarian: try to set a simple goal for a project.
A complete game is in my opinion a bit too much to start with. You should learn the programming language first.
In the days before the internet we got all our info from magazines, books and ofcourse the local atari computer club. You had to buy books, the computer book market was enormous. There are many books about GFA Basic try to get some real or scanned and follow the examples.
Here are some of mine:

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Wed May 02, 2018 4:20 pm

jury wrote:If you are not much into GFA yet, and want to use Basic for games, maybe try to switch to STOS. Its Basic specifically for games creation.
I'm not saying GFA is 'bad', its not, its great Basic ( if not the best generally ) and there were many commercial and professional applications written in it back in the days, but if it goes for games I guess STOS is a little more straighforward in this direction. For example, here you would have the 300 page book regarding games creation in STOS:

Well ... as STOS is really developed for game coding I would still recomend you GFA Basic. STOS is only usabe to code for ST series of Ataris and I thing I heard now it should work also for Falcon computers. But for other Atari clones is useless.
GFA Basic is still actively supported and developed by Lonny and it runs on all Atari computers and clones. Commands are VDI and GEM enhanced and that meand games can be coded without directly accessing hardware. Also you can code GEM games which can run on all Atari computers in all resolutions.

GFA site: http://gfabasic.net/

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Wed May 02, 2018 4:39 pm

Also GFA doesnt have line numbers and should have better performance.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

mjvans
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mjvans » Wed May 02, 2018 5:04 pm

I found ST Format issue 35 had GFA Basic on the cover disk and in the magazine even an article about moving sprites.

badshotbob
Atariator
Atariator

Postby badshotbob » Wed May 02, 2018 7:30 pm

I think I have that disk

thomas3
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby thomas3 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:36 pm

vido wrote:
jury wrote:If you are not much into GFA yet, and want to use Basic for games, maybe try to switch to STOS. Its Basic specifically for games creation.

Well ... as STOS is really developed for game coding I would still recomend you GFA Basic. STOS is only usabe to code for ST series of Ataris and I thing I heard now it should work also for Falcon computers. But for other Atari clones is useless.
GFA Basic is still actively supported and developed by Lonny and it runs on all Atari computers and clones. Commands are VDI and GEM enhanced and that meand games can be coded without directly accessing hardware. Also you can code GEM games which can run on all Atari computers in all resolutions.

GFA site: http://gfabasic.net/

if (WireLord55 != MrPixel)
{
I do get what you're saying here, but I'd actually still recommend STOS - and that's not just because I love it ;). Since this person seems very very new to coding and wants to go straight in on graphics/games, STOS will provide a bunch of commands that will let s/he draw sprites directly to the screen, learn about double buffering, etc. Yes, the performance is horrible, and yes, it has line numbers, but it's surely the fastest way to get something happening on screen. Plus - did I mention I love it???
}
else
{
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
}

WireLord55
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby WireLord55 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:52 pm

I'm not new to coding, I'm just new to old languages. Know what I mean? :)

And by the way who is MrPixel?
Beause I'm not MrPixel

I mean i ask questions.

Thanks,

WireLord55

P.S: How do i get started in STOS?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed May 02, 2018 11:40 pm

MrPixel was here asking questions about coding but was ridiculed by lots of Atari users instead.
The problem was he was asking non-Atari system coding questions.... in the chat and non-Atari system section of the forum.
Seems legitimate and OK to do so as there is such sections.... but seems not so by the users here. Well, go figure. :roll:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

WireLord55
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby WireLord55 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:41 am

Thanks wonkck, appreciate your honesty

WireLord55

FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Postby FedePede04 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:28 am

wongck wrote:MrPixel was here asking questions about coding but was ridiculed by lots of Atari users instead.
The problem was he was asking non-Atari system coding questions.... in the chat and non-Atari system section of the forum.
Seems legitimate and OK to do so as there is such sections.... but seems not so by the users here. Well, go figure. :roll:

You are %100 right wongck, and what is the idea with a forum, if we can't help each other.

but i think what trigger some, was it was not one system MR Pixel ask to, he kept asking about new systems..
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Thu May 03, 2018 6:36 am

WireLord55 wrote:P.S: How do i get started in STOS?

Check the book "Stephen Hill_STOS_The Game Makers Manual" I linked earlier in this thread. It should get you started the fastest way. I do not know any better/faster way, so if there is any, let somebody share it.

And I do not know much about performance regarding STOS vs GFA, but maybe above comments are right that GFA is way better in this matter. But even thou, I do not know any "big" game made in GFA ( it doesnt mean that there are none, I just do not know any ) and one of the biggest and quite fun games written in STOS from "the era" was H.E.R.O. Also in 90ties there were rumours that Torvak the Warrior ( I really liked it ) was created in STOS. I quite do not belive it, but as it was slow ( or maybe much more than slow ;) ) than maybe it really was done in STOS.
Last edited by jury on Thu May 03, 2018 8:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Postby FedePede04 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:44 am

WireLord55 take a look at this page, you will find many information about the ST.
also he have a big STOS sections

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

joefish
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby joefish » Thu May 03, 2018 12:12 pm

wongck wrote:MrPixel was here asking questions about coding but was ridiculed by lots of Atari users instead.

And he's now on a Spectrum forum asking about Beebs... :shrug:

thomas3

Postby thomas3 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:47 pm

jury wrote:
WireLord55 wrote:P.S: How do i get started in STOS?

Check the book "Stephen Hill_STOS_The Game Makers Manual" I linked earlier in this thread. It should get you started the fastest way. I do not know any better/faster way, so if there is any, let somebody share it.

And I do not know much about performance regarding STOS vs GFA, but maybe above comments are right that GFA is way better in this matter. But even thou, I do not know any "big" game made in GFA ( it doesnt mean that there are none, I just do not know any ) and one of the biggest and quite fun games written in STOS from "the era" was H.E.R.O. Also in 90ties there were rumours that Torvak the Warrior ( I really liked it ) was created in STOS. I quite do not belive it, but as it was slow ( or maybe much more than slow ;) ) than maybe it really was done in STOS.

With filthy hacks and dirty cheats, STOS performs really well. It's just an awful way to learn any kind of structured programming I guess. But its advantage is that, as you get into it, it lets you learn really easily about organisation of screen memory etc - particularly if you use some of the extensions that allow management of graphics at a bitplane level.

I absolutely love it and am currently working on a game written (mainly) in it!

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu May 03, 2018 1:20 pm

If you're familiar with modern programming languages you will get nothing done in STOS. I programmed a lot in STOS when it first came out, but after having used C and Pascal I found that I was unable to do anything remotely complex in STOS. When you start thinking "structured" you're f***ed in STOS - no way to structure data or code whatsoever.

Compiled STOS performs rather OK, and there are many excellent extensions for it that you can make some really awesome things with. However, the programming language itself will restrict you seriously. I think GFA Basic is a much better choice if you want to stick with BASIC.

http://paradize.final-memory.org/gfabasic.shtml
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu May 03, 2018 1:22 pm

People were very helpful with MrPixel until they realised that he did not care about their answers, but just repeatedly asked what was basically the same questions but for yet another (non-Atari) platform.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

WireLord55
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby WireLord55 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:51 pm

Thank you very much everyone :)

Here is my first GFA-BASIC code:

Code: Select all

DO
  KEYGET n
  PRINT "WireLord55"
LOOP UNTIL n=3735584
QUIT
Last edited by WireLord55 on Sun May 06, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjvans
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mjvans » Sun May 06, 2018 9:29 am

You forgot the LOOP it has to be a "DO .. LOOP UNTIL"

thomas3

Postby thomas3 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:28 am

Come on guys, seriously. You really think this kid is for real now? :)

Love the code btw wirelord!

WireLord55
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby WireLord55 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:38 pm

Ha! Thanks thomas3 :)

Yeah...I forgot that! lol

WireLord55

P.S: What is Beebs?
Last edited by WireLord55 on Mon May 07, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun May 06, 2018 10:57 pm

Although the .com domain name in this forum URL, it is in fact housed in UK.
So many here speaks the local British colloquial. The Beeb is one of them, it should mean the BBC Micro.
It may also mean VW Beetle but then they aren't EU. :wink:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Social Media

Return to “GFA BASIC”