Bad Mood : Falcon030 'Doom'

All 680x0 related coding posts in this section please.

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Bad Mood : Falcon030 'Doom'

Postby dml » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi,

For Q2 you can try this link, which is an older test version with some random settings. Probably configured for low memory footprint so expect texture pops. Can't remember if its built with mono or colour lightmaps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oy3mfn7hgi59w ... 4.zip?dl=0

...type one of the map names into the .ttp

fatal1
ikdm2
ikdm9

...and navigate with mouse + WSAD keys. However I expect there's no chance of it running on 060.

Both these projects were really aimed at 030 machines. BadMood does have 060 builds but they are experimental and not very well tested (I don't have one set up and working). Also BadMood does not use 060 hardware very well since it is very DSP-oriented. However if it works it will still be noticeably faster...

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:04 pm

I have started moving stuff back onto my own site.

New builds of BadMooD can be found here (v0.37):

http://leonik.net/dml

(Atari menu at top of page -> BadMooD section)

This should resolve some issues with the last version, including the cases where it got stuck building the BMC cache dir. There may be some minor speed gains also.

Hopefully the MIDI is working properly again - although I haven't been able to set up sensible tests yet. If there are still problems I'll look into it...

I haven't had time to convert & re-upload the old wordpress documentation but it should follow...

Estrayk
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Estrayk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:08 pm

Today, I tested the famous BadMood and... it's really impressive! 8O

I made a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLHuuAS8t54

・Falcon 030+FPU 14mb CosmosEX・Atari MegaSTE 4Mb CosmosEX・Atari STe 4Mb GotekHxC+Satan・Amiga A600 Vampire V2・Amiga A1200 030/50・MIST・

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr.JT » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:29 am

So I'm excited to play this but the initial build routine craps out at around 'lump' 27. Seems to do the same thing whether I'm running the base build with powerup2 accelerator off, or running the accelerator build with powerup2 on?? Any ideas? Using the correct ultimate doom wad 1.9 as described...

Over excited to get this working!!
---------------------------------
14Mb 32MHz 4GB HD Falcon 030 with 19" LCD
STBook NOTEBOOK (!)
Atari Portfolio
2 x 4Mb STe
1 x STFM
Lynx
Jaguar and JagCD plus interesting prototype carts!

Bring on the retro!

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:55 am

Hi,

Are you using the latest files from my site here?

http://www.leonik.net/dml/sec_bm.py

Direct links:

http://www.leonik.net/dml/files/BadMooD/BM037.ZIP (binary)
http://www.leonik.net/dml/files/BadMooD/BMC037.ZIP (prebuilt cache dir)

If not, I'd recommend using this one. If you are using this one, try replacing the BMC dir with the one in the BMC037 zip. This will bypass the need to process all the lumps on the first run.

Also - are you using 14MB or 4MB? It requires 14.

If it still doesn't work I'll need to look more closely.

Doug.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:10 am

...also make sure the WAD file is specifically Ultimate Doom 1.9 with filesize 12,408,292 bytes exactly. There are other versions which probably won't load (even with the overlaid BMC dir).

The file must be renamed to DOOMU.WAD to work - the name affects Doom's game version detection logic (!!).

If any other WAD file was used to create the BMC dir, delete BMC before retrying (or replacing it with the one in the zip linked above). Best not allow the temporary files to contain a mixture of WAD versions...

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr.JT » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:59 pm

Thanks for the replies!

So I have 14Mb and have turned off nearly every control panel. Running Thing on plain TOS (rather than my magic partition) but will try without that too. (Does it need every last KB of 14Mb?). V1.9 Wad with correct size too. And files from your site.

Tried the BMC folder too from the second zip but it still tries to go through the full build and still crashes with what looks like some kind of file path error on lump 27 (but it flashes past way too quick to read what it actually says!).

Shouldn't it skip the BMC build if the files are all there already? Or do I need to give it some parameter on launch?

Also I seem to remember a checksum warning when I decompressed the first zip from your site the other day... I'll try redoing the zip and see if that helps. But the programs seem to run ok and same error for different versions of the TTP executables...

Thanks

JT
STBook NOTEBOOK (!)
Atari Portfolio
2 x 4Mb STe
1 x STFM
Lynx

Bring on the retro!

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi,

The checksum error could well be a problem. I'd look into that first.

There are a few potential causes for CRC fails - most of which I've seen in one form or another when transferring files to the Falcon.

1) Incompatibility between PC and Atari archivers - i.e. the archive itself is ok but programs are not compatible. I haven't checked these zips but I think other people have managed to use them - but it depends on the unarchiver used. IIRC STZip in particular causes problems here.

2) Disk driver / media corrupting files larger than 4mb. this happens on my Falcon with cflash - not sure exactly why but I have to split the files up if they are too big. I used ARJ at both ends to get around this initially, as it is 100% compatible, supports automatic splitting and checks the archive properly when re-joining. There are other solutions though e.g. PARCP/parallel or usb, serial disk software or CosmosEX if you have one.

3) General transfer errors caused by e.g. PC drivers trying to write to Falcon-formatted media, and especially Falcon hardware SCSI issues.

And yes - if the BMC is unpacked in the correct place it shouldn't go through the slow process of creating that. However it uses a checksum file to decide what to do - so maybe the one I included is not up to date. I'll check that.

Anyway i'll try it here myself later in the evening using the same zips and see if its ok. If I get time I'll produce split ARJs as well and put those on the site beside the zips.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:01 pm

I just tried it (albeit with Hatari) and it seems to work as expected, at least as far as recognizing the BMC cache.

Unzipped both archives into the same dir, copied DOOMU.WAD in there, pointed Hatari at it, reboot to a clean desktop, launch bm030.ttp and wait.

It reports a WAD hash and launches into the game (screenshot below) so the WAD CRC in the BMC archive must be good.

grab0033.png

So I think it may be a problem transferring or unzipping the archives at the Falcon end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr.JT » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed speedy replies!

I'm transferring via FTP from win 7 over serial link (slooooooow!!) as it's my only option right now. Using STZip too so maybe that's the issue. Will set it off transferring clean versions of all the files again (takes forever!) and try with a different zip program...

Cheers

JT
STBook NOTEBOOK (!)
Atari Portfolio
2 x 4Mb STe
1 x STFM
Lynx

Bring on the retro!

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr.JT » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:29 pm

So using something else (Unzip.ttp) other than STZip to unzip the BMC cache files seemed to do the trick! (Worth remembering for every other zip I use - no more STZip! Never knew that about it, but explains a lot of other battles with big zip files. Almost worth a sticky in its own right - wonder how many hours people have lost from it!?)

Amazing effort by the way! It absolutely flies! So, so impressive!

I have had a couple of freeze ups, and it struggles with the end of level screens - they end up slightly off the side of the monitor but I think that's more my monitor and set up... going to reload the main zip and wad zip and use unzip to decompress them and see if that fixes the freezes... may be something slightly off in how STZip handled those too.

JT
STBook NOTEBOOK (!)
Atari Portfolio
2 x 4Mb STe
1 x STFM
Lynx

Bring on the retro!

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr.JT » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:33 pm

One other thing - only the strafe keys from WSAD seem to work... I can only get forward and backward on the arrow keys?? Makes it kind of tricky to play trying to press shift with the arrow key to strafe (which also changes the mouse to strafe). Maybe it will work properly when I reload the unzipped version, but if not can keys be easily configured?

JT
STBook NOTEBOOK (!)
Atari Portfolio
2 x 4Mb STe
1 x STFM
Lynx

Bring on the retro!

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi,

Glad you got it working.

Does the freezing occur in 16mhz mode or only with the PowerUP enabled? If you want to use CPU acceleration you should use one of the alternate builds (see the readme) - in the standard build the code is very optimised for 16mhz and DSP will get out of sync if the CPU is running at a higher frequency.

The keys can be reconfigured via the .cfg file - this info used to be on the BM homepage but hasn't been put on my own site yet so its probably not obvious. That part works the same way as for PC Doom so the same docs will work if you can find a site with that info.

There are (IIRC) two configs supplied (you can launch with new configs using a command line switch) - I use the 'pro.cfg' which I set up to walk/strafe with WSAD and look with mouse. The default.cfg is probably closer to PC doom keys but I don't remember now.

The intermission screens use a funny resolution on VGA - 416x480, and the frequency is quite low so some monitors will show a blank screen for a second or two while it syncs up, and might also be shifted (especially if the monitor stores a different config for each Hz)

[EDIT]

It's worth pointing out that while most of the configuration is the same as PC Doom via the .cfg file - there are extra configuration fields unique to BadMooD which control some audio, music and display mode settings. The most important is probably the chunky rows/columns toggle keys to trade framerate for better detail (keys 3 & 4 IIRC) and the viewport size yets (+ and - keys). The largest viewport size goes 'fullscreen' which can also change the video mode to a faster type, and the status bar is replaced by health bars.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:49 am

What should I put in .cfg to get software midi music in game?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:08 am

To get software music replay set this variable:

Code: Select all

midi_replay_mode      1

For hardware MIDI, change it to '2'

midi_replay_mode      2

There are also a couple of extra settings affecting HW MIDI only. These don't affect software replay at all.

midi_device_type      2
midi_channel      1

And some settings for volume and stereo L/R. Some are SW only but 'music_volume' is both SW & HW (some settings available through ingame menu also)

sfx_volume      15
music_volume      11
invert_stereo      0

To control horizontal/vertical detail levels and viewport size (also available through menu and or keyboard shortcuts)

screenblocks      8
xdetaillevel      1
ydetaillevel      0

To enable Quake-like freelook via mouse (up/down viewing)

freelook      1

And some other stuff, most of which you can probably look up. Although I think one or two were added for BM only:

mouse_sensitivity      1
show_messages      1
key_fire      0
key_left      0
key_right      0
key_up      173
key_strafeleft      172
key_down      175
key_straferight      174
key_use      32
key_strafe      0
key_speed      35
invertspeed      0
use_mouse      1
mouseb_fire      0
mouseb_strafe      1
mouseb_forward      2
use_joystick      0
joyb_fire      0
joyb_strafe      1
joyb_use      3
joyb_speed      2

Also, here's a copy of the pro.cfg I mentioned above (any fields missing will use defaults).

; non-ASCII keys:
;
; KEY_RIGHTARROW =   0xae
; KEY_LEFTARROW =   0xac
; KEY_UPARROW =      0xad
; KEY_DOWNARROW =   0xaf
; KEY_SHIFT =      0xb6
; KEY_CTRL =      0x9d
; KEY_ALT =      0xb8

mouseb_fire 0
mouseb_strafe 1
;mouseb_forward 2
mouse_sensitivity 1

key_up 0xad
key_down 0xaf
key_right 0
key_left 0

key_strafeleft 0xac
key_straferight 0xae

key_strafe 0
key_speed '#'
key_fire 0
key_use ' '

invertspeed 0

screenblocks 8
xdetaillevel 1
ydetaillevel 0

sfx_volume 12

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks DML!

People (coders) are amazed with BadMood, wherever I show it :)
Now with software music it will be even more impressive :)
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Doug's software synthesis / mixing / sound prioritization stuff is really nice. For such a low CPU usage it's surprisingly close to what full MIDI synthesizer like FluidSynth on Linux produces. And FluidSynth uses more CPU on my few GHz PC Linux, than I've understood Doug's code to take with BadMood on 16 Mhz Falcon. :-)

cawley1
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cawley1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi Guys,
I have recently gotten hold of one of Best Electronic's Falcon 4Gb Compact Flash adapters and installed it. I have tried to get Bad Mood running unsuccessfully and wondered if you had any ideas or advice...

Firstly, I am downloading everything on a PC, unzipping it there and transferring to the Falcon via USB Parcp. I have ensured I have DOOMU.WAD and it's the correct filesize (12,408,292) when checking in Windows. I am using Bad Mood v0.37.

I was originally attempting to make the BMC myself, but it crashes with four bombs and drops me back at the desktop. This is after 'numlumps: 2618' and it then says 'could not locate entry in WAD: pnames'. I deleted the entire directory on the Falcon leaving only DOOMU.WAD and attempted it again, but the same problem.

I then downloaded the BMC zipfile in this thread, hoping that removing the need to set the WAD file up would resolve the issue, but it has not. It still crashes at the same point, with the same error.

My NVRAM needs changing and it's running in 60hz, not that I would imagine that matters.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Paul

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:18 pm

Sounds suspicious.

PARCP will usually rule out transfer errors so assuming you have 14MB and your disk works properly, it should run.

It could still be a HD disk driver incompatibility but it should work with HDDriver, ICD and AHDI.

It is a normal Falcon though? Not accelerated?

Make sure you don't have too much other stuff in the auto folder which might interfere. Try booting with CTRL held down to skip that.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:07 am

cawley1 wrote:Firstly, I am downloading everything on a PC, unzipping it there and transferring to the Falcon via USB Parcp. I have ensured I have DOOMU.WAD and it's the correct filesize (12,408,292) when checking in Windows. I am using Bad Mood v0.37.

Do you also have the other files present? BMT1.WAD and the three shpp* files?

If it can't locate PNAMES its having trouble reading one of the WADs. This would normally mean a corrupt WAD. However if you transferred it with PARCP (and CRCs enabled!) that would leave the disk device or driver software in question :-/ or the way the disk is formatted perhaps.

cawley1 wrote:I then downloaded the BMC zipfile in this thread, hoping that removing the need to set the WAD file up would resolve the issue, but it has not. It still crashes at the same point, with the same error.

It does sound to me like there is a problem reading or writing large files.

cawley1 wrote:My NVRAM needs changing and it's running in 60hz, not that I would imagine that matters.

I have the same problem with my Falcon and it doesn't get in the way.

It might be good to locate a hashing/checksumming program (e.g. MD5) which works at both ends to compare results. This would tell you if the WAD files are intact after transfer/writing, without transferring them back again.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:56 pm

dml wrote:Hi,

Regarding the problem building the cache - i think this may be due to the removal of the AMIDILIB component for the hardware MIDI replay mode when the project was rebuilt with gcc6 (I think Pawel has got it working with gcc6 but I haven't got around to including the new version). The cache update hits a midi file and breaks because the cache updater is missing the required convertor. At least this is the most likely reason since I know that piece is missing.

As for the flickery hud - this is probably due to mis-configuration of the ct60 build. The 030 build uses a raster to split the screen. For Hatari and CT60 it should use a software update instead. Probably that flag was off when the files were rebuilt...

Got this running today, and yeah the CT60 build has the unstable HUD and it also crashed twice on me, rebooting the machine and causing the sound to freak out. It does work in 030 mode, but moves rather smoothly at high details with the largest screen, which the High details kills the performance on the 030 mode. This is seriously impressive!

Also load times... holy crap the difference in 060 vs 030 is night and day for the load times.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:33 am

leech wrote:Got this running today, and yeah the CT60 build has the unstable HUD and it also crashed twice on me, rebooting the machine and causing the sound to freak out. It does work in 030 mode, but moves rather smoothly at high details with the largest screen, which the High details kills the performance on the 030 mode. This is seriously impressive!

Also load times... holy crap the difference in 060 vs 030 is night and day for the load times.

Glad you got it working - for the most part it seems to be running ok for most users (the 030 version at least). The most common issue now seems to be getting all the files across in one piece.

The 060 build hasn't been properly tested so it is flaky - I can't really do much with it until I set up my own and I don't have time for it yet. I will get around to it at some point though. I can probably rebuild the 060 version to fix the flickery HUD but the crashes won't be resolved without debugging it locally here. So for now 060 support is just W.I.P.

The 030 build should be stable though on a normal Falcon.

Trixster

Postby Trixster » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:55 am

030 and 060 versions working well here :cheers:

No crashes so far with the 060 version
Atari Falcon + CT60e | Atari 2600 | Atari Jaguar | A1200 + 80mhz B1260 + Indi AGA2 + Ide-fix Express
A4000/060 Cyberstorm Mk2 + Indi AGA + Voodoo3 + Sonnet G3 400Mhz PPC | Saturn | PS1 | CPC6128
Acorn A3020 + 4MB | A3000 + 2MB | BBC B | Acorn Atom | BBC Master Turbo | A500 | SNES | C64

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:24 am

Trixster wrote:030 and 060 versions working well here :cheers:

No crashes so far with the 060 version

No janky HUD? I wonder if it's the SuperVidel? The bottom bar with health/ammo etc sort of bounces back and forth. Sometime soon I'll see if I can make a capture video of it. When it crashes it resets the computer and emits a loud noise as if the Demons had infested your speakers and now owned your soul!

By the way, I sort of want to do a comparison between the music output by the Falcon and various other systems, I'm pretty sure it has the best Doom music I've ever heard.

If I read that correctly, there is even a way to output the music to a MIDI keyboard? (I have one laying around, I need to hook it up to test some of the other games that support it too! I think I did it for King's Quest at one point and the music was phenomenal)
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:34 pm

leech wrote:No janky HUD? I wonder if it's the SuperVidel? The bottom bar with health/ammo etc sort of bounces back and forth. Sometime soon I'll see if I can make a capture video of it. When it crashes it resets the computer and emits a loud noise as if the Demons had infested your speakers and now owned your soul!

What does your installation look like, have you attached the VIDEL clock wires?
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

Social Media

Return to “680x0”