problems with Saint v 1.99g and solution

A forum about SainT by James Boulton and Arnaud Carré - the current version is v2.4.0.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

Zorro 2
Administrator
Administrator

problems with Saint v 1.99g and solution

Postby Zorro 2 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:08 pm

I install it on my PC with french XPsp2 and I've a little trouble to execute it : "Cette application n'a pas pu démarrer car MSVCR17.dll est introuvable. La réinstallation de cette application peut corriger ce problème". I downloaded the dll from the web and I copied it on the same folder of Saint, now the emaulator works fine. For the users who are the same problem, I join it of the topic. For Leonard, I don't found this problem on your FAQ, maybe a new mistake from microsoft ?

ps : you can find a lot of dll on this website : http://www.dll-files.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Member of NoExtra Team

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:03 pm

Microsoft Visual C Runtime Library 7.11 - maybe Leonard has upgraded his C compiler recently?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Zorro 2
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Zorro 2 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:04 pm

I thought more at directX but I update it recently...
Member of NoExtra Team

leonard

Postby leonard » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:31 pm

Oh sorry I don't read the "SainT" forum very often (shame on me).

Well yes I changed the compiler for Microsoft .NET. I don't like .NET but I had no choice, just because Microsoft stop supporting DirectInput with Visual6 in the latest DirectX9 SDK (sounds strange, but it's very, very anoying).

So SainT use that DLL without I noticed ! :-)

Well, I dream to fin dsome time to re-write SainT, without any user interface (or a custom one) and translate all code into C, so it can be ported on any platform... But this is a very, very big work.... :-(
Leonard/OXYGENE.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:59 am

I thought that the whole point that SainT is fast and still has advanced features is because portions of it are written in x86 assembler?

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:14 pm

Hi Leonard,

leonard wrote:... but I had no choice, just because Microsoft stop supporting DirectInput with Visual6 in the latest DirectX9 SDK (sounds strange, but it's very, very anoying).

Just out of curiosity. Why you need to use the latest DirectX, can't you use an older version? Are there any specific new features that you use?

leonard

Postby leonard » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:10 pm

Just out of curiosity. Why you need to use the latest DirectX, can't you use an older version? Are there any specific new features that you use?

Well, you're right, I can still use directX 8. (dx8 is the first real nice 3d API, dx7 and above are nightmare to initalise).

But, as I worked on other projects on my machine, I always get the latest DirectX SDK. And with SDK 9.0 (july), the VC6 support have been *NON OFFICIALLY* removed !! (non officialy because it works, exept if you're using DirectInput).
I had several choice:
1) removing latest dx sdk and installing an old one
2) stop developping saint
3) removing use of DirectInput (using classic window key handler)
4) change the project to Viual .NET

I choose the 4) solution :-)
Leonard/OXYGENE.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:31 pm

leonard wrote:Well, you're right, I can still use directX 8. (dx8 is the first real nice 3d API, dx7 and above are nightmare to initalise).

But why you need 3d at all?

1) removing latest dx sdk and installing an old one

You can have multiple DX SDKs installed. I did it more than once. Just put the additional include and lib files (and docs, if you want) in a separate folder.

Don't you dare saying this, not even as a joke! :)

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:46 am

ijor wrote:
leonard wrote:

Don't you dare saying this, not even as a joke! :)

I'll second that :)

George
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

leonard

Postby leonard » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:47 pm

But why you need 3d at all?

sounds strange but I just need DirectX8 to get access to screen (I can do it using directx5 or something like, but dx8 init func are very short and easy). Add to that, SainT can use GPU to draw screen using texture (and then benefit of a 100% cpu friendly bi-linear filtering on Y axis).

stop developping saint

No I didn't think about it seriously :-) anyway it's a long time without load saint project. To be honest I often thing to write a new emulator, 100% in C language so it can be ported to any system. Not really an emulator, but a kind of "demo watcher". To do this, I have to find a cool (and powerfull) 68000 emulation library. Every libraries I get on the internet was not toally "cycle accurate", or "interrupt compatible").
But all that is for long , long future ! (when everyone can have ST demos in its pocket using a kind of GameBoy Advance 5 !!)
Leonard/OXYGENE.

leonard

Postby leonard » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:22 pm

I thought that the whole point that SainT is fast and still has advanced features is because portions of it are written in x86 assembler?

Well at the beginning, yes. Old-gen emulators such as Pacifist are assembly written for speed. SainT is originally based on "Starscream", a x86 assembly 68k emulator library, for speed to. SainT architecture is very fast too (run CPU in one shoot as long as there is no interrupts, etc.). Make emulator lots more difficult to code, but a lot faster.

With today processor things have changed. For exemple, I totally rewrite the SainT frame rendering from ASM to "hand made" "C" lnaguage. I get quite 20% faster on Intel P4. Recent processors have so complicated optimization rules that you can't handle it "by hand".

Anyway, even with modern processor, you get some speed up using asssembly language for some task (SEE, specific inner loops, etc.). But as soon as you have a complex routine, requiring a large set of variable (i.e. registers), you better have to use a good C compiler (or C++, it's almost the same).
Leonard/OXYGENE.

Social Media

Return to “SainT”