2 joysticks for 2 player games

A forum about SainT by James Boulton and Arnaud Carré - the current version is v2.4.0.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

snoopy
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

2 joysticks for 2 player games

Postby snoopy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi, first of all a big thank you to the creator of SainT for all the work that went into SainT. I've been using it on and off for years.
Keep up the good work.:-D

Now to my question:
Recently me and a buddy met for a retro gaming evening. So we were just about to start a 2 player session of Gauntlet 2 in SainT just like 25 years ago (minus the small screen, the decaying floppies and the curfew at 6 o'clock ;-) )...

The problem was: We couldn't activate 2 joysticks in SainT (or an hdd-image).
We tried different gamepads and joysticks but there simply was no option available.

Did we miss something or is SainT designed for single player use only?

Thanks for answering

Snoopy/Roloway
Snoopy aka Roloway

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: 2 joysticks for 2 player games

Postby galax » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:16 am

If you don't manage yo get it to work with SainT, both STeem and Hatari support joysticks.
Last edited by galax on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:10 pm

galax wrote:I think SainT has been abandoned for about 10 years. STeem is still actively developed, and supports 2 joysticks: http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse/ - pretty sure Hatari does too http://hatari.tuxfamily.org/ .

Hatari has supported 2 joysticks, 2 STE joypads and 2 parallel port joysticks for a long time.

snoopy

Postby snoopy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:36 pm

@galax: thanks for the info. We checked out all the three emulators. Btw: SainT's last update was in 2013 when it added retro monitor emulation.

@eero tamminen: Thanks to you as well (and thanks a lot for Hatari ;-) ). Hatari is great for two player games and it did recognize every gamepad I plugged in right out of the box (even my old competition pro usb sticks). The harddisk emulation, the hdd image from Hatari's site and the gemdos drive were really handy. Btw: Does the gemdos drive only work with emuTOS ? It did not show up in normal TOS.
Snoopy aka Roloway

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:31 pm

snoopy wrote:The harddisk emulation, the hdd image from Hatari's site and the gemdos drive were really handy. Btw: Does the gemdos drive only work with emuTOS ? It did not show up in normal TOS.

The GEMDOS drive does work under normal TOS. I just tried it with TOS 1.04 (UK version) and the drive appeared after I rebooted Hatari. With the OS X version, Hatari knows that adding a GEMDOS drive requires a Hatari reboot. I do not remember if the SDL interface will force the reboot or not.

Bob C

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:11 pm

I guess you tried TOS v1.02.

TOS v1.04 is oldest TOS version where HDs in general work reliably. Hatari complains (at least in console) if you try to use GEMDOS HD emulation with earlier TOS versions.

USB support comes from libSDL and underlying OS. Hatari just handles enumerates joysticks based on what SDL tells & gets events / data from it.

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Hippy Dave » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:35 pm

snoopy wrote:Does the gemdos drive only work with emuTOS ? It did not show up in normal TOS.

One must click on Install Devices in TOS
TOS Desktop > Options > Install Devices

snoopy

Postby snoopy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.
EmuTOS works fine for me so far so I guess I'll stick with that.
But in order to verify/falsify this issue, I checked out various TOS versions.

TOS104UK, TOS104US, TOS104DE, TOS106US, TOS106DE,TOS162US,TOS162DE:
HDimage from Hatari homepage detected and automounted as C, Cartridge as c, Gemdos drive not automounted and option to mount drive greyed out in options.

TOS205DE, TOS205IT,TOS205US,TOS206UK:
HDimage from Hatari homepage detected and automounted as C, cartridge as c , Gemdos drive not automounted but mountable via options. If mounted via options--> install devices, drive mounted as device G but also 4 other devices (Device c, D, E, F - no idea what they are).

So it does seem to work, but only from TOS205 onward (albeit with a bit clutter on the desktop :-) ).

My config:
Win7 64, Hatari 1.80 64, HD image from Hatari site mounted as ACSI HD image, Gemdosdrive write protection off, no booting from HD, machine type (ST or STE) autoselected by Hatari after selecting TOS image.

Anyway, for me all of that is not really a problem.

Hatari works great for my purposes. Kudos at the developers. :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snoopy aka Roloway

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:39 pm

For me TOS v1.04 adds GEMDOS HD drive to GEM desktop automatically both with Hatari v1.62 and latest Hatari from Mercurial, just by doing:

Code: Select all

$ hatari --tos <tos IMG> <directory>

This is of course on Linux, but I don't see how Windows could affect things in a way that would be TOS specific.

snoopy

Postby snoopy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:28 pm

After some trial and error on TOS104UK:
If you boot it, it will automount the HD image but not the GemDOS. Go to options. It will not give you the option to install drives (greyed out).
You have to highlight (click one time on) your HD drive (in my case C). Go to options. Go to options. "Install drives" is available and you will be able to mount the gemdos drive. The gemdos drive itself is not automounted.
This does not work from TOS205 onward. After booting. Go to options. Here you only get the option to "install devices". It does not matter if you highlight the hdd or not. You will get this option. If you "install devices" no further menu will appear (like in TOS104 when you install the gemdos drive). Therefore you will end up with lots of icons named "letter + device". Inside most of them you will find the file "hatari.tos". Inside device "G" you will find the contents of your gemdos drive (see the image in my above post).

If you use the emuTOS provided with Hatari everything is automounted as intended. If you need normal TOS+ a gemdos drive and run into problems, you now know how to deal with them.

Maybe all of the above is even normal TOS behaviour. :-D

Anyway: Problem solved. Thanks to everyone.
Snoopy aka Roloway

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:38 pm

You didn't mention that you had also HD image. I think your problems come from your HD driver and/or its configuration, it stomps over the pre-existing drives. Configure it so that it doesn't do that, or if that's not possible, use a different one, or assign GEMDOS HD(s) to some other drive(s) [1]. EmuTOS doesn't use/run the driver from the HD itself, that's why things work fine with it.

[1] http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/h ... _emulation

Social Media

Return to “SainT”