STOT #4/18 Son Shu Shi

Take part in tournaments on your ST or Falcon computers. Feel free to play with the real machine or use an emulator. We're currently playing Son Shu Shi, which is game #18 in Season 4.

Moderators: ThorN, Moderator Team

ThorN
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

STOT #4/18 Son Shu Shi

Postby ThorN » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:57 am

Here are some infos at Atarimania about Son Shu Shi

Rules
Please mention if you used the continous function.

Final Table
Non Continous
1. Xerus 10100
2. lord_boschan 4190
3. SSB 3300
4. Marakatti 2310

Continous
1. ThorN 2995

simonsunnyboy

Re: STOT #4/18 Son Shu Shi

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:30 am

Some screenshots made with Hatari:
grab0004.png

grab0008.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:13 pm

ThorN wrote:Hope some more infos will follow on Atarimania about Son Shu Shi

Whoops, sorry :oops: Updated with a nice review for the people who can read french.

First score: 2310
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Admin of http://www.atarimania.com ST / Falcon section.
-- Slowed down a bit my Atarimania activies due to family reasons, will be back at full throttle when time allows --

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:42 pm

First score 2100 points

We should discuss if we play further than the "Continue?" screen or not?

@Marakatti: I have submitted some screenshots via email to Marcer. He promised me in the past to fill the void on Atarimania ;) If it fails for some reason I will send them to you instead, ok?
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

lord_boschan
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby lord_boschan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:18 am

Score 700...

and now on to the "Continue?" screen.
Last edited by lord_boschan on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:27 am

simonsunnyboy wrote:@Marakatti: I have submitted some screenshots via email to Marcer. He promised me in the past to fill the void on Atarimania ;) If it fails for some reason I will send them to you instead, ok?

Marcer has primarily been building the demos section, so maybe he has been too busy with that. You can send them to me too and one of us will add them.

I can PM you my email address if you don't already have it.
Admin of http://www.atarimania.com ST / Falcon section.
-- Slowed down a bit my Atarimania activies due to family reasons, will be back at full throttle when time allows --

lord_boschan
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby lord_boschan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:18 am

Score 3285 before the "Continue?" screen. This Rygar meets Wonder Boy game is very unforgiving.

ThorN
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorN » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:45 pm

Got 2995 and I used the "continous" function. This time it really makes sense. I think the authors don't like other players :-) otherwise this game would not be so unfair. But it's technically great and its challening. So I look forward to a some more rounds.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:09 am

3300 no continues used

Stay cool, stay Atari!

ThorN
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorN » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:09 am

I reached a gate to another screen, but each time I'm tranported, I die in the other screen. Is this a known error. Is there a workaround?

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:17 am

...for this hidden passage ?
I use the "terminator kid" version and with Hatari I have a double bus error -> CPU halted...
So I don't use this gate.
Maybe a bad crack ?
Otherwise, here my score with one credit, dead against the first boss: 10010

This game seems too hard, I understand why there are lot of credits...

lord_boschan
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby lord_boschan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:06 am

Score 4190 not "Continue?" Using "terminator kid" on STEem same issue with the gate.

PRO-TIP! Unable to take the screws out of the bottom of your joystick & switch the up-direction wire with the wire from an unused button to provide a jump/climb button because you're using an emulator & not the real thing - then re-map the up direction on your emulator joystick control to an extra button on your joystick/joypad. Don't have a joypad/joystick then go out & buy one and make sure it's top notch as life's way too short (As simulated in Son Shu Shi ;-) ).

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks for playing Son Shu Shi! Congratulations, Xerus!

See you all in Season #5 :)

Stay cool, stay Atari!

AtariZoll
Atari God
Atari God

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:47 am

ThorN wrote:I reached a gate to another screen, but each time I'm tranported, I die in the other screen. Is this a known error. Is there a workaround?

That would be because bad crack. Only solution is to dig out original of this game. Well, this is jubilee, 100-th time that I write this :D

This may be bad luck - choosing problematic title, without good source for Tournament. Maybe to restart now with something what is tested, proven ?
My Atari work folder state at 30 Jan 2015 : 35 GB, 213002 files

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:35 pm

Nice necrobump there, AtariZoll! For a moment I thought that STOT was back! The excitement and disappointment I just felt in those two seconds.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

AtariZoll
Atari God
Atari God

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:46 pm

StickHead wrote:Nice necrobump there, AtariZoll! For a moment I thought that STOT was back! The excitement and disappointment I just felt in those two seconds.

If you want it back do something. Comments like what you did help not.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:58 am

Well apparently we couldn't find a good crack back in 2011. Maybe in 4 years time, and in the more than remote possibility that STOT is ever resurrected, then there might be a need. However even in that far future we'll probably not revisit Son Shu Shi.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:53 pm

The Amiga version (unpublished but recently released to the scene) also seems to have suffered from disk data error : http://www.abime.net/interviews/view/interview/id/11

AtariZoll
Atari God
Atari God

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:15 pm

I don't see any mention of disk error there. Things are that problems are certainly not because bad original release, since diverse Atari crack releases have diverse corrupted parts.
And that's shame that Atari community can not provide good copy of this, despite that Atari version WAS published, unlike Amiga one. So, it may be that we will see game flow only on YT Amiga longplay video 8O

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Argh, i pasted the wrong URL here, sorry.
Here is the proper one with game infos : http://www.abime.net/games/view/game/id/4440

By the way, although i highly doubt it because of most certainly differents graphics data, maybe some Amiga data could correct the ST ones ?
Last edited by dma on Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlfrsilver
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dlfrsilver » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:43 pm

dma wrote:The Amiga version (unpublished but recently released to the scene) also seems to have suffered from disk data error : http://www.abime.net/interviews/view/interview/id/11

The story is different. More precisely, the final release (the one which was going to be mastered) has been thrown to the bin 1 month before the authors were contacted. Another copy of the final release was found, but had a disk data error on track 133 (checksum problem due to 1 bit bad).

the SPS boss, Steve Fabian has recovered back the wrong bit. The Amiga version is fully working (100%) and freely available in IPF.

You should be sure that it's a wrong data file and not a copy protection problem. If it is the case, why not tried to patch or correct the data on the ST version ?

BTW, you know what makes the ST crash when you get thru the gate ?
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

AtariZoll
Atari God
Atari God

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:00 pm

I was able to fix some smaller disk data errors in some cases. Or to make some override for similar problem - Dyther 7 final level. But in many cases it would be extremely hard. You need to understand fully level data files, and only that part may need hundreds of hours. +. you often have no clue how level may look, possible hidden things.
What I did is that DL-ed Amiga version ADF files, in hope that level data may be same. Short check resulted in seeing very different patterns on floppies in compare to Atari version. Most likely Atari version used some packing, while Amiga not - so need to depack couple levels and then compare. But that's again not so easy, as it is custom format.
Please don't come again and again with your copy protection warnings. Official Ninja and me spent couple days by looking into problem, and as I said, diverse crack releases have differences on disk 2. So, org. crack is maybe OK (Terminator Kid), and things were corrupted later, when it was copied, stored by other "experts" .

dlfrsilver
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dlfrsilver » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:25 pm

AtariZoll wrote:I was able to fix some smaller disk data errors in some cases. Or to make some override for similar problem - Dyther 7 final level. But in many cases it would be extremely hard. You need to understand fully level data files, and only that part may need hundreds of hours. +. you often have no clue how level may look, possible hidden things.

It's not easy, but since you know well the 68000 coding it must not be "that hard".

What I did is that DL-ed Amiga version ADF files, in hope that level data may be same. Short check resulted in seeing very different patterns on floppies in compare to Atari version. Most likely Atari version used some packing, while Amiga not - so need to depack couple levels and then compare. But that's again not so easy, as it is custom format.

You see, i was wrong a bit before Pera, but it's your turn now. :lol:

The amiga version USE a custom packing system. It was reversed for the whdload install of the game.

Please don't come again and again with your copy protection warnings. Official Ninja and me spent couple days by looking into problem, and as I said, diverse crack releases have differences on disk 2. So, org. crack is maybe OK (Terminator Kid), and things were corrupted later, when it was copied, stored by other "experts" .

No one's perfect, you included. It could have been a copy protection left over. It's not the case, all right then.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

AtariZoll
Atari God
Atari God

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:02 pm

The things are with all available images for Atari ST, that at least 8 files are completely corrupted. Last 150 KB on second floppy is just garbage.
I looked Amiga files, but level data for Amiga can not be used, because files are different size.
So, nothing without good image of floppy 2, or at least such, where end is OK .
Really pity, that Amiga people resurrected this (after correcting whole 1 bit of error :D ), even if was never published for Amiga. While we can not do anything for over 4 years.

Maartau
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Maartau » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:25 pm

Peter : just a question -> have you also checked that version :

http://atariforce.free.fr/stjeux05.htm

(I suppose but who knows :) )
MeMBeR Of - aTaRi LeGeNd - / - eLiTe - / - NoExTrA - / ...
Supporting - aTaRiMaNiA - / Huge thanks to all dumpers :thumbs: ...
August 2015 -> laptop is 90% dead, new one in the next days...

Social Media

Return to “STOT - ST Offline Tournament”