SDL version and Hatari

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.2.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

SDL version and Hatari

Postby siriushardware » Tue May 21, 2019 11:55 pm

For some reason, I'm labouring under the impression that running Hatari compiled for SDL2 rather than SDL1.2 causes quite a performance hit and I think I have seen similar opinions expressed elsewhere in these forums, but I can't be sure because I have several flavours of Hatari running on different Linux machines and I can't remember which versions of SDL they were compiled for.

Is there some simple way I can query which version of SDL any given instance of Hatari is running with? I've looked at the entry / exit text generated when I run Hatari from inside a terminal window as I usually do, but I see nothing about the SDL version being used.

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: SDL version and Hatari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed May 22, 2019 2:48 am

siriushardware wrote:Is there some simple way I can query which version of SDL any given instance of Hatari is running with?

On linux, you can just run

Code: Select all

ldd <path-to>/hatari

That should tell you atleast whether it is version 1.x or version 2.x. For the exact version, just look at your package manager which version is installed.

For windows, there is a similar tool in the aranym repo (as source only so you have to compile it first).

On macos, you can run

Code: Select all

otool -L <path-to>/hatari

IIRC that tool comes along with Xcode.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu May 23, 2019 8:08 pm

siriushardware wrote:For some reason, I'm labouring under the impression that running Hatari compiled for SDL2 rather than SDL1.2 causes quite a performance hit and I think I have seen similar opinions expressed elsewhere in these forums, but I can't be sure because I have several flavours of Hatari running on different Linux machines and I can't remember which versions of SDL they were compiled for.

If you have a properly HW (GPU) accelerated modern desktop, use SDL v2. If you don't have HW acceleration, use SDL v1.

On embedded Linux machines that are missing proper 3D driver, SDL v1 can be significantly faster. On Mac, SDL v2 was in some cases significantly faster than v1, because it integrates much better with 3D accelerated desktop.

If your system is really slow, in both cases you can save some performance by using a small resolution and letting your monitor to do the upscaling. This is especially important if using Hatari with SDL v1 when you have a very large resolution monitor.

siriushardware wrote:Is there some simple way I can query which version of SDL any given instance of Hatari is running with?

Check whether Hatari SDL GUI "Hatari screen" options dialog has "SDL2 options" section.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:42 pm

Gentlemen, thanks for the replies which I have only just noticed.

I have not been back on the Linux machines in question at this time, but the most powerful (?) one is an HP intel i3 based desktop with integrated graphics, probably the chipset graphics which may or may not have some basic form of integrated 3D graphics handling, but no, it does not have a standalone graphics card

After moving Hatari to that machine from an Intel Atom based netbook I was surprised to find myself having to dial down the Hatari performance - reduce the screen refresh rate, turn off cycle exact emulation and so on, so that it would run Cubase 2 smoothly without stalling from time to time, but I strongly suspect that it was compiled for SDL2 on that machine- I will check it out and if necessary recompile it for SDL1.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:57 pm

What's the output of following commands:
* sudo dmidecode | grep -e MHz -e ' MB'
* glxinfo | grep OpenGL
* wmctrl -m
* xrandr

I.e. what kind of memory (= bandwidth), integrated GPU & 3D driver, windowing system and resolutions you have in that device?

(On Debian/Ubuntu, these utilities come from "dmidecode", "mesa-utils", "wmctrl" and "x11-xserver-utils" packages.)

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:34 pm

Acknowledging your questions, but I am away from that machine at the moment. I'll try to get back to you with the answers.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”