A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.2.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

MightyMotifMax
Atarian
Atarian

Unable to select any MIDI ports and Midi output path - Mac

Postby MightyMotifMax » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:26 am

Hello everyone,

I recently installed Hatari V. 2.1.0 on my iMac, running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 (haven't made the jump to Mojave yet). I hoped to be able to run the YSEditor program for editing the old 4-op Yamaha FM synths (YS100/200, FB-01, etc). When I open the preferences panel, I am unable to select midi input or output ports, or the Midi output path. The "Choose" button is grayed out, and the Input port/Output port boxes only list "off" as an option. I have my keyboard connected via 5-pin DIN midi to my thunderbolt audio/midi interface (Resident Audio T4), and midi works fine with other applications outside Hatari. I'm wondering if there is a setting that I need to enable or something. It's my understanding that the current version of Hatari allows for midi on Mac. The website for YSEditor says that the developer has gotten it to work sucessfully with Hatari, but on a Linux system, as he doesn't have other os computers. The program does work fine on actual STs though so it should work.

I didn't find much information on that specific issue on the forums or other places, just a lot of information on previous versions of Hatari and people running programs where midi already could be enabled (issues with using it with Cubase while other programs worked in the emulator, for example).

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

-Max

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Unable to select any MIDI ports and Midi output path - Mac

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:30 am

I haven't Mac (or Windows), but one issue I've noticed with Hatari PortMidi support, is that you may need to restart the program after connecting MIDI device for PortMidi to list the device.

(On Linux I actually prefer the raw MIDI device support, as that allows using MIDI port to be used also for other things than MIDI messages, but raw MIDI device file access doesn't work on Mac or Windows.)

MightyMotifMax
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MightyMotifMax » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:33 pm

Thanks. I have the keyboard connected and turned on when I load Hatari. Restarting has been ineffective.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:12 pm

Hatari v2.2 was just released.

While I don't see any notes about MacOS MIDI improvements, it has many other important fixes & improvements: http://download.tuxfamily.org/hatari/2.2.0/

Btw. Have you tried both the MacOS and SDL GUI for Hatari? MacOS GUI support is from external contributors so it can be lagging behind the SDL GUI (used on Linux & Windows).

MightyMotifMax
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MightyMotifMax » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:40 am

Eero Tamminen wrote:Hatari v2.2 was just released.

While I don't see any notes about MacOS MIDI improvements, it has many other important fixes & improvements: http://download.tuxfamily.org/hatari/2.2.0/

Btw. Have you tried both the MacOS and SDL GUI for Hatari? MacOS GUI support is from external contributors so it can be lagging behind the SDL GUI (used on Linux & Windows).

Is the SDL GUI usable on Mac? I don't have a Linux system at all or a Windows system that's compatible with my midi interface.

Updating right now.

MightyMotifMax
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MightyMotifMax » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:46 am

The update did not change anything unfortunately.

jariseon
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jariseon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:07 pm

hi Max,
seems that midi libraries are missing in the official v220 MacOS build. please try with this (tested in High Sierra):

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtGaAPvKqUHEsXZ3Bynk6lE1rvv5

midi port selection is available in both Hatari/Preferences/Peripheral tab and in the SDL GUI.

best, Jari

MightyMotifMax
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MightyMotifMax » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:08 pm

jariseon wrote:hi Max,
seems that midi libraries are missing in the official v220 MacOS build. please try with this (tested in High Sierra):

midi port selection is available in both Hatari/Preferences/Peripheral tab and in the SDL GUI.

best, Jari

Hi Jari, thanks. Unfortunately, when I try to run the program, I get this message in a popup from the OS:

"Hatari cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure Hatari copy works with this version of macOS. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and macOS."

I am running High Sierra still, so it should work. Tried re-extracting but that doesn't fix it either.

Sorry I didn't get any notification about this. Have to figure out how to set that up. :-)

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:53 pm

jariseon wrote:hi Max,

best, Jari

Your Hatari download will not work for other people because the application bundle does not include any of the dynamic libraries. The first one it complains is missing is libpng, but none of them are included in the bundle. I am assuming you have them elsewhere on your system.

The Hatari 2.2.1 does include the libportmidi.dylib in the SharedSupport folder. However, since I do not have any MIDI devices and I did not use MIDI on the ST, I do not know how to go farther.

It is possible that the macOS interface has a problem selecting a location for the MIDI data. However, the SDL menu is still available using the F12 key unless you have remapped it to another key. If you are using a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, you may need to hold the fn key along with the F12 key in order to get the SDL menu.

Bob C

MightyMotifMax
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MightyMotifMax » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:13 am

F12 key (iMac desktop) does either volume or with "fn" switches the main screen to another page called Dashboard, which has your calendar and weather etc. Neither option affects Hatari. I have changed no configurations.

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:32 am

I forgot. I remapped F12 away from Dashboard years ago. If you change the default key for Dashboard (or remove the shortcut key), then F12 will bring up the SDL menu.

Once you bring up the menu, you can change the shortcut key to some other key.

Bob C

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:43 am

darwinmac wrote:The Hatari 2.2.1 does include the libportmidi.dylib in the SharedSupport folder. However, since I do not have any MIDI devices and I did not use MIDI on the ST, I do not know how to go farther.

At least on Linux, one doesn't need any MIDI HW, one can just use one of the free SW MIDI synthesizers for MIDI output. Isn't something like that possible on Mac?

As to the Atari side, this is IMHO nice program for experimenting whether MIDI works: http://tamw.exxoshost.co.uk/mmouse.htm

Btw. Somebody on Mac is at least seeing MIDI devices in the GUI, but is having no output: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=35529

jariseon
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jariseon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:43 pm

> The Hatari 2.2.1 does include the libportmidi.dylib in the SharedSupport folder

Thanks Bob, you are right. Can confirm that midi works with the official v221 installer here (see screenshot below), but since my machine is "contaminated" with toolchains and dev libraries all over the place, would be great if someone else can repeat the test and check what's going on. I tried to follow reezekey's procedure, which looked correct to me, and got lucky with this:

1. created virtual Midi ports in MacOS Audio MIDI Setup app
2. launched Hatari, and configured the ports in Preferences/Peripheral tab
3. closed and relaunched Hatari, and opened Omega sequencer (kcs40.prg) [1]
4. in Omega, did File/Open/ROOS_PVG/ROOS_PVG.ALL
5. opened midi monitor app in host os [2], and finally clicked PLAY in Hatari's Omega

After these steps, midi messages appeared correctly in midi monitor. in step #1, "Device is online" checkbox needs to be ticked of course, and in step #2 it is important to click "Save Config" before closing the dialog with OK (which i often forget to do). Finally ensured output sanity once more with MTPRO36.PRG [3] demosong.mts and a native midi plugin, because i did not exactly know what Omega's roos_pvg.all should sound like.

[1] https://web.archive.org/web/20160306140 ... t/kcs4.zip
[2] https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
[3] http://atari-music.fddvoron.name/mtpro36.zip

screenshot:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtGaAPvKqUHEs1EtK87kqYD7Zhl5

Jari

reezekeys
Atarian
Atarian

Postby reezekeys » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:11 pm

Jari, I was excited to read your post - but something is wrong with my system as I can't recreate the success you had getting midi out of Omega. I use a late 2013 MacBook Pro with OSX 10.11 (El Capitan). I also have a partition with Mojave but haven't tried that yet. My issue is the same as in the other thread - Hatari sees my IAC midi ports but on the Mac side, there's nothing. I went a little further and created a brand new configuration in Audio Midi Setup (my last attempts were with my normal setup that contains quite a few midi devices). I also noticed that when I unmuted all the tracks in the ROOS_PVG.ALL file, Omega choked - stopped playback after a few bars then started up again, trying to "catch up" – that does not bode well for jitter-free playback, I'm afraid.

Some trivia: the "ROOS_PVG.ALL" was done by a fantastic guitarist & composer named Randy Roos. He really worked the PVG ("programmable variations generator") of the KCS Omega app in some of his writing back in those days.

jariseon
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jariseon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:44 pm

thanks for the trivia! i did not use DrT's stuff back in the day but remember reading about them. I really like the old school approach even today btw. Modern DAWs can do amazing things, but they've become perhaps too bloated with features.

i tried unmuting all tracks in roos_pvg.all, but did not get choking. however, when i changed sMidiOutPortName in hatari.cfg file to something non-existing, i did get similar choking symptoms you described. this is a long shot, but maybe check your hatari.cfg file to ensure that the port names look ok in [Midi] section (it is a text file). in my system hatari.cfg is in ~/Library/Application Support/Hatari. You can also reach that folder from Finder by holding down the option key and selecting Go/Library from the top menu.

reezekeys
Atarian
Atarian

Postby reezekeys » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:39 pm

I'm pretty confident saying the Dr. T sequencer is actually more advanced than any commercially- available midi sequencer made today. That may be a topic for another thread though! In the meantime, I tried my same setup in my Mojave partition with the same results. I did look at the hatari.cfg file as you suggested, it looks OK to me.

I made a video showing what I've done to try & make this work. Can't figure out how to embed it here, the "youtube=" button doesn't work for me like other forums. Maybe it's not enabled here, or maybe I haven't been on this forum long enough. Link:

https://youtu.be/p5Pj0zOcPjI

jariseon
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jariseon » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:36 pm

ah, you might have a loopback issue. try creating two virtual midi ports in OSX Audio Midi Setup: one for input and another for output, and give them unique names (e.g., "Hatari In" and "Hatari Out"). Then launch Hatari and assign them in Preferences/Peripheral tab. Finally close and restart Hatari. There was a reason for unique input/output port names, but can't remember the exact issue right now. Possibly worth a fix in a later release.

reezekeys
Atarian
Atarian

Postby reezekeys » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:48 pm

Ok I'll try that. But each virtual port does have a separate in & out connection. Still worth a try, and I'll report back. Thanks!

reezekeys
Atarian
Atarian

Postby reezekeys » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:00 pm

No luck, I will just give up for now. I'll check back here from time to time and maybe someone will figure out why I can't get things going. Thanks for trying to help!

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”