RS232 support in Windows?

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

tschak909
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

RS232 support in Windows?

Postby tschak909 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:01 pm

Can I please get RS232 support in Windows? I am developing PLATOTerm for the ST, and am using Hatari as it is the ONLY Atari ST emulator with RS232 support.

However, running it in VirtualBox in Linux, while works, has its own problems (SDL2 and Virtualbox with GL accelleration cause rendering glitches), I would like to be able to use Hatari without having to run it in a VM. :)

-Thom

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: RS232 support in Windows?

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Hatari developers don't have/own Windows.

Any Windows specific feature would need some Windows user to contribute code to implement it.

If GL acceleration is problem with virtualization, I would recommend using SDL1 instead. Hatari itself doesn't need GL, and SDL2 is only using it for scaling the framebuffer to screen size.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:49 pm

tschak909 wrote: Hatari as it is the ONLY Atari ST emulator with RS232 support.

I never used it (at least not with a real serial device), but ARAnyM also has support for serial I/O, maybe even better than Hatari, since SCC emulation only recently has been added there (using Aranym sources as basis btw.) I think Steem also has support for it.

However, running it in VirtualBox in Linux

When you use linux, why don't you use the linux version of Hatari and/or Aranym instead?

tschak909
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby tschak909 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:06 am

I _am_ using the Linux version, in VirtualBox, as Hatari's windows port does not use the windows file functions to open the serial port, which are required for the windows port.

As for Aranym, does the serial emulation work under Windows? I could not find how to enable it.

-Thom

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:10 pm

tschak909 wrote:As for Aranym, does the serial emulation work under Windows?

To be honest, i don't know, i never used them.

I could not find how to enable it.

It's not available in the GUI, you have to edit the config file for this. I think it should look like this

Code: Select all

[SERIAL]
Serport = /dev/ttyS0
Enabled = Yes

You may have to check the device name. Aranym on windows uses cygwin internally, so it is possible that the example above actually works. You can also do a "cat /proc/devices" just like in linux, if you have cygwin installed.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”