Hataroid (Harati for Android)

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

carpii
Atarian
Atarian

Hataroid (Harati for Android)

Postby carpii » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:19 pm

I'd love to play Atari ST games on a tablet of some sort.
It's not possible for me at the moment, as I use an iPad (or at least I'd need to jailbreak it and I don't want to bother with all that).

So the only option appears to be to buy an Android tablet, and hope that Hataroid still works as well as the reviews claim.

Can anyone confirm this still works with recent Android devices?

Hataroid doesn't seem to have been updated since 2013 (is this because there is no need, or because its no longer maintained?)

Thanks

alektronic
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Hataroid (Harati for Android)

Postby alektronic » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:49 am

The latest version on the Android app store is from April 2016, so it's not too ancient - I'm using it quite happily on Android 8.0.

It's open source (the code is here: https://github.com/squalldc/hataroid ) so if it does end up being abandoned by the developer there's always a chance for someone else to pick up the baton

squall
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby squall » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:19 am

Sorry I haven't had time to work on it for a very long period, but I haven't abandoned it :P

There's no major issues with the current version so any planned changes are really to support additional feature requests (like android tv) and any bugs that come up.

I will be moving over to the latest Hatari source at some stage, but it will be a completely new app since it uses a different cpu core that currently doesn't have the same performance level as the old core (so is more suitable for newer android devices).

I think you should try to find someone with an android device and try it out before you buy a tablet to see if it's something you like using.

I've only used it up to Android 7, but good to hear that it works with 8.0 as well.

thothy
Hatari Developer
Hatari Developer

Postby thothy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:47 am

squall wrote:I will be moving over to the latest Hatari source at some stage, but it will be a completely new app since it uses a different cpu core that currently doesn't have the same performance level as the old core (so is more suitable for newer android devices).

The old CPU core is still available in the Hatari sources and you can still build Hatari with that core, too. You just have got to enable it while configuring the build.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”