Upscaling recorded videos

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

Arganoid
Atarian
Atarian

Upscaling recorded videos

Postby Arganoid » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:52 pm

Can anyone recommend a way to upscale recorded videos to HD without blurring? I've been using ffmpeg, and this document I just found suggests that too:

https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/ ... ording.txt

However, the videos that are produced have a lot of dropped frames. This happens regardless of which codec I use, and seems to be associated with the error message:

"Non-monotonous DTS in output stream 0:0; previous: 950272, current: 950272; changing to 950273. This may result in incorrect timestamps in the output file."

Which ffmpeg prints hundreds of times during the process. It's not clear if this is a problem with the videos Hatari produces, or with ffmpeg.

If I scale the video using the video converter built into VLC, the dropped frames problem does not occur – however, I have yet to find out how to use nearest neighbour sampling to avoid blurring.

Xerus

Re: Upscaling recorded videos

Postby Xerus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:39 am

My solution to avoid the dropped frames with ffmpeg is to record with no compression (see hatari's manual).
MPNG with compression is not well recognize by many encoder/player...

Now the blurring problem, use the good Evil's tuto:
http://dhs.nu/videorecording.php

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 am

I take it you cant just record directly in HD (full screen) to start with? Might sound like a silly question, but there are still people who record in 240 "because why record in a better resolution than the original hardware?" Well there is one incredibly good reason - playback looks like a dogs breakfast!
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

Arganoid
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Arganoid » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:48 pm

I switched the codec from MPNG (the default) to BMP. ffmpeg can now convert and upscale the video without any dropped frames. The downside is that a 9 minute 320x200 video is 5 GB.

Here is the result of my efforts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcQoA2wf38U
The video is 720p rather than 1080p – in practice I don't think the difference is noticeable. If I follow the DHS advice for a 1080p video, the video doesn't take up the whole screen as there is padding at the top and bottom.

As for recording at the original resolution, that's not a problem as the BMP codec is lossless (and even with the MPNG codec, I couldn't see any noticeable loss of quality).

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”