A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Hatari 2.1.0 has been released

Postby troed » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:43 pm

darwinmac wrote:
TonVH wrote:I have a problem with the cursor (also in previous version).

There are 2 cursors visible and neither is able to cover the whole window. I have to resize the window and then all is working as expected. Using High Sierra.

How can I solve this? Am I the only one?

Depending on your usage, the easiest method is to use Cmd-M to capture the mouse in the Hatari window. You use Cmd-M again to stop capturing the mouse in Hatari's window. I have also seen the behavior where I cannot get to the left of the ST screen without it leaving the Hatari window and being used by macOS again. You can also put Hatari into fullscreen mode if you are simply using the ST and not wanting to do anything in macOS while using Hatari.

To add to this, usually moving the mouse pointer to the edges of the emulated screen (right, left, up, down) snaps them into sync and you then only see one pointer. At least that's what I do.

(This is an issue with the SDL graphics library as far as I understand)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:10 pm

Zandig wrote:I'm on Windows 10 64 bit (1709 - 16299.214)
Using the 2.1.0 release I have to Disable Fullscreen Optimizations of HATARI in the Compatibility Tab for the GUI to function properly.
Not disabling it causes strange thing to happen when using GUI and function keys. This does not happen in previous versions. :cheers:

Please describe your issue more in detail. What means "strange things"?

Hatari release notes mention few fixes that might affect SDL window/key handling:
- Disable alt+F4 under Windows so that it doesn't close Hatari (in case alt+F4 is also used in the emulated program)
- Limit Videl widths for GLES2 SDL2 backends (if your issue is with TT/Falcon emulation)
- Handle window expose events with SDL 2.0

Zandig
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Zandig » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:54 pm

OK - I will try to explain.

For some added info:
- I'm using an Nvidia GTX 1080 (tried various driver versions until the latest).

- It only happens in Fullscreen,
- Starting the program in Fullscreen or switching to Fullscreen is when the problems begin.
- Starting the program in Window mode is fine.

Without disabling fullscreen optimizations under the compatibility tab of Hatari here are some examples:

Load the program in Fullscreen, or switch to Fullscreen..
Now hitting F12 to bring up the Hatari Main Menu splits the mouse cursor into one black one (which is now a stationary black cursor of the previous exact place of the cursor) and a new white/active cursor..
..The Hatari Main Menu is not displayed graphically but it is active in that if you position your white (active) mouse cursor on the correct spot on the screen and click the Hatari Main Menu will now appear..
..Click on an option and it seemingly does nothing as the graphic changes to the Hatari menu are not seen..
..However, now if you switch back to the Windows desktop using the Windows key, or ALT-TAB, and then back to Hatari you can see the changes.

In short,

If using Hatari in Fullscreen you now have to:
1) Disable Fullscreen Optimizations of HATARI in the Compatibility Tab
or
2) Keep switching back and forth between the Windows desktop and Hatari (by using either the Windows key, or ALT-TAB) and then back to Hatari to see the graphic changes of Hatari properly.

charliesgames
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby charliesgames » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:51 pm

It may be unrelated, but having just released a game using SDL2 i can suggest looking into adding proper hiDPI support for hatari. SDL2 doesn't really do this very well yet, and you need to add some extra lines to the manifest file on windows for it to work properly anyway.

Cheers
Charlie
Take a look at my games: http://www.charliesgames.com

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:34 am

That would be appreciated.

None of the Hatari developers has / owns a Windows installation. Hatari Windows builds are cross-compiled on Linux.

As there are quite a few Windows users for Hatari, it really would be nice to have somebody who uses Windows and occasionally does native Windows build of Hatari sources, and who's actually able to check, debug & fix Windows specific problems.

(Personally, I've never owned Windows machine. I've sometimes been asked to fix problems in relatives' Windows machines and occasionally at work I'm forced to use Windows. I'd rather drop Hatari development, than use Windows on my free time though.)

Zandig
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Zandig » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Thank you Eero.

I just wanted to make you aware of the problem on Windows 10.
It's really no problem to disable full screen optimizations in Hatari's compatibility tab.
I appreciate your work on Hatari very much and use it often.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi

an updated macOS version for Hatari 2.1 was released, you can get it here : http://download.tuxfamily.org/hatari/2.1.0/hatari-2.1.0_3_osx.dmg.zip

This fixes 2 issues on macOS only :
- Hatari would crash when using french language and opening the preferences windows
- The buttons "Reset" and "Don't reset" were inverted

Thanks to Troed and to Jerome Vernet for the required changes / compilation.

Nicolas

MagicMac
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MagicMac » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:30 am

Hi,
i'm using Hatari 2.1.0 on Mac OSX 10.9.5 and it seems to work fine, no problems to mount HD images created in older versions, the only thing I miss is the option for the RTC emulation in the Preference Dialog under System. Is it brocken or is there another option to activate this ?

Thanks a lot, it is a great piece of software !!!

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Nicolas comment above was about Mac specific GUI. It wasn't in sync with rest of Hatari. SDL UI has been working fine on Mac (SDL UI is what the Hatari developers use & test, as Mac UI doesn't work on Linux).

MagicMac wrote:i'm using Hatari 2.1.0 on Mac OSX 10.9.5 and it seems to work fine, no problems to mount HD images created in older versions, the only thing I miss is the option for the RTC emulation in the Preference Dialog under System. Is it brocken or is there another option to activate this?

Following Atari machines include RTC:
* MegaST
* MegaSTE
* TT
* Falcon

(When MegaST/STE emulation was added to Hatari, emulating RTC with ST was removed as real STs did not have that kind of RTC. There have been some external RTC HW solutions for real STs, but Hatari has never emulated those.)

MagicMac
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MagicMac » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:22 am

Hello,

thank you very much for this info, I just switched to Mega STE and RTC worked again !!! :-))

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:18 am

Hi,
I tried to record an avi video (MPNG codec) but the file size is still limited to 2G.
I have this error message indefinitely by validating the dialog box.
"AVI recording: failed to write png frame"
Obliged to close the emulator.

My configuration: Windows 7 / NTFS file system / Hatari 2.1 (64 Bit version)

Thanks all for this great piece of software.

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:31 am

Hatari, always my first emulator of choice!! Thanks for this new release. And the intro port is so nice!

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:38 pm

farvardin wrote:Hatari, always my first emulator of choice!! Thanks for this new release. And the intro port is so nice!

Thanks for your support ; you can also vote for the intro on pouet.net if you like it :)

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:44 pm

Xerus wrote:Hi,
I tried to record an avi video (MPNG codec) but the file size is still limited to 2G.
I have this error message indefinitely by validating the dialog box.
"AVI recording: failed to write png frame"
Obliged to close the emulator.

My configuration: Windows 7 / NTFS file system / Hatari 2.1 (64 Bit version)

Thanks all for this great piece of software.

Hi
I don't have Windows to test it, but using Hatari 2.1 64 bit under Wine64 for Linux (which "emulates" Windows), I was able to create a 5 GB AVI file, so it correctly handled files above 2 GB.

Do other Windows users see this ? Maybe it depends on the Windows version (try with Windows 8/10 ?) or the filesystem (try another than NTFS ?).
This works correctly under Linux, macOS and wine, so I don't have idea for the moment of the cause of the problem you're seeing :(

Nicolas

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:04 pm

npomarede wrote:I don't have Windows to test it, but using Hatari 2.1 64 bit under Wine64 for Linux (which "emulates" Windows), I was able to create a 5 GB AVI file, so it correctly handled files above 2 GB.

Did you try PNG as well? I didn't test it, but simply be reviewing the code to save PNG frames I'm doubtful if it will work for files larger than 2 GiB. It uses ftell (https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/ ... hot.c#l152) which by definition is restricted to a (signed) long int, i.e. 2 GiB on Windows. Depending on the way Microsoft's C runtime handles ftell for larger files, one can easily see that ScreenSnapShot_SavePNG_ToFile might return 0 (https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/ ... hot.c#l214), ultimately causing Avi_RecordVideoStream_PNG to fail with the error message that Xerus reported.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:22 pm

czietz wrote:
npomarede wrote:I don't have Windows to test it, but using Hatari 2.1 64 bit under Wine64 for Linux (which "emulates" Windows), I was able to create a 5 GB AVI file, so it correctly handled files above 2 GB.

Did you try PNG as well? I didn't test it, but simply be reviewing the code to save PNG frames I'm doubtful if it will work for files larger than 2 GiB. It uses ftell (https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/ ... hot.c#l152) which by definition is restricted to a (signed) long int, i.e. 2 GiB on Windows. Depending on the way Microsoft's C runtime handles ftell for larger files, one can easily see that ScreenSnapShot_SavePNG_ToFile might return 0 (https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/ ... hot.c#l214), ultimately causing Avi_RecordVideoStream_PNG to fail with the error message that Xerus reported.

Yes, I tried with BMP and PNG, no error in both cases, I can record 5 GB for example.
But this might depend on the underlying OS, maybe Wine gives a different behaviour than real Windows. I fixed this in source tree by using "ftello", as this is better anyway.

Xerus, can you record more than 2GB if you use the BMP codec instead ? Run hatari.exe like this "hatari.exe --avi-vcodec", then start recording from Hatari.

Nicolas

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:42 pm

npomarede wrote:Thanks for your support ; you can also vote for the intro on pouet.net if you like it :)

I couldn't log in the other day, but now I've just voted for it!!

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:49 am

Czietz sniffing the right track.
The MPNG is limited to 2GB on my system.
I tried with the BMP codec and no problem, I exceed this limit.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:12 am

Xerus wrote:Czietz sniffing the right track.
The MPNG is limited to 2GB on my system.
I tried with the BMP codec and no problem, I exceed this limit.

Hi,
some beta builds are available here http://antarctica.no/~hatari/latest/windows/
Can you check if this fixes the 2GB size limit when using PNG codec ?

Nicolas

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:23 am

Sorry Nicolas but the file avec PNG codec is still limited at 2GB.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:24 am

Which version did you use: win32/win64? Debug/release? I'll see if I can run this in the debugger on Windows to see what happens.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:39 pm

OK, I had a look at the win64/release version: it happens that for this build "off_t" is only 32 bits, so it's no wonder it doesn't work with files > 2 GiB. (One can tell in the debugger or disassembly by the fact that only the EAX register is used to store the result, not RAX.)

If I remember correctly, one has to set a certain define in order for "off_t", "ftello" and "fseeko" to support 64 bit file lengths. Maybe that's not set for the antartica.no builds?

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:46 pm

czietz wrote:OK, I had a look at the win64/release version: it happens that for this build "off_t" is only 32 bits, so it's no wonder it doesn't work with files > 2 GiB. (One can tell in the debugger or disassembly by the fact that only the EAX register is used to store the result, not RAX.)

If I remember correctly, one has to set a certain define in order for "off_t", "ftello" and "fseeko" to support 64 bit file lengths. Maybe that's not set for the antartica.no builds?

Yes, it's possible Christer uses different mingw flags that the one I use when I do the "official" Windows binary for a new release (in that case, it means recording with the BMP codec will also stop at 2 GB with antartica's builds)
At least, this is now fixed for PNG in main sources and it will be OK with next release of Hatari (unless someone provides a beta build with 64 bit off_t until then).

Nicolas

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re:

Postby czietz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:04 pm

npomarede wrote:(in that case, it means recording with the BMP codec will also stop at 2 GB with antartica's builds)

I can confirm that. Actually, it does not fail that quickly as with the PNG codec, because using the BMP codec means less fseeko/ftello. But in the end, with the BMP codec it will fail with "AVI recording : failed to seek to movi start" because it cannot handle the file size anymore.

solskogen
Atari User
Atari User

Re:

Postby solskogen » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:42 am

npomarede wrote:Yes, it's possible Christer uses different mingw flags that the one I use when I do the "official" Windows binary for a new release (in that case, it means recording with the BMP codec will also stop at 2 GB with antartica's builds)
At least, this is now fixed for PNG in main sources and it will be OK with next release of Hatari (unless someone provides a beta build with 64 bit off_t until then).

How's your mingw build? Give me the configure options for gcc/binutils and mingw that you use, and I'll check mine ASAP.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”