Is it possible to run System V on Hatari?

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

ZoltanTheHun
Atarian
Atarian

Is it possible to run System V on Hatari?

Postby ZoltanTheHun » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:50 pm

Hi,

I was trying to run the System V images from http://www.atariunix.com/ on Hatari, but it doesn't seem possible.

I always get the following errors:
Bus error wput at 0041fffe
Bus error wput at ffd000e0
Bus error wput at 0201fffe

Has anyone ever tried running System V on Hatari?

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Is it possible to run System V on Hatari?

Postby mikro » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:07 pm

I'll make your crusade easier, if you manage to run FreeMiNT 030 + MMU in Hatari, that would be a good start.

thothy
Hatari Developer
Hatari Developer

Postby thothy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:11 pm

No, I don't think that it is possible to run ASV with Hatari. ASV needs an Atari TT, and the TT emulation in Hatari is very incomplete, e.g. it lacks the 2nd MFP and SCSI emulation.

ZoltanTheHun
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ZoltanTheHun » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:57 pm

Thanks. Bad news, but I hope the folks behind Hatari can some day improve it to make Unix possible someday...

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:35 pm

could it work with Aranym?

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 am

If ASV just probes all serial devices (like MiNT does at startup), and expects there to be no bus errors on TT (like MiNT does), it's enough to void bus errors for (unimplemented) SCC accesses in Hatari. I have a hack (patch) for that in the Hatari "hatari tt scc emulation" mail thread in July. That got MiNT running on Hatari TT emulation (it runs already fine under ST/STE/Falcon emulation).

PS. While Hatari doesn't emulate SCSI, it does support accessing real SCSI drivers, with Uwe's NatFeats SCSI driver. Doesn't help here, but maybe interesting to somebody.

Doesn't ASV support ACSI at all?

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:28 am

farvardin wrote:could it work with Aranym?

Unlikely. Aranym emulates an 68040 cpu (and, more importantly, mmu). I doubt that ASV was designed to run on '040.

Noth
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Noth » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:51 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:If ASV just probes all serial devices (like MiNT does at startup), and expects there to be no bus errors on TT (like MiNT does), it's enough to void bus errors for (unimplemented) SCC accesses in Hatari. I have a hack (patch) for that in the Hatari "hatari tt scc emulation" mail thread in July. That got MiNT running on Hatari TT emulation (it runs already fine under ST/STE/Falcon emulation).

PS. While Hatari doesn't emulate SCSI, it does support accessing real SCSI drivers, with Uwe's NatFeats SCSI driver. Doesn't help here, but maybe interesting to somebody.

Doesn't ASV support ACSI at all?

Doesn't at all unfortunately. ASV seems to be a pretty pure AT&T System V Release 4 version with a few Atari specific tools thrown in. Thus it has drivers to use what could be called the TT side of things but not anything else, like ACSI or Midi ports.

I'm using a cousin to this, AMIX (aka Amiga UNIX) in WinUAE, where we have SCSI support and can emulate an A3000UX completely, including network, tape drive, and several graphics cards, including aftermarket ones. It'd be really nice to use Hatari or Aranym to let more people discover Atari Unix! By the way, so long as the libs are in the right places, SVR4 m68k unixes can use each other's software...

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”