Hatari unusable with trackpad in fullscreen mode (Hatari v2.0.0 and SDL 2 on Linux)

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

Xyla
Atari User
Atari User

Hatari unusable with trackpad in fullscreen mode (Hatari v2.0.0 and SDL 2 on Linux)

Postby Xyla » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:05 pm

I have installed Hatari on two different Linux laptops now and the mouse cursor moves way too fast in fullscreen mode to be usable. There are several posts about this including a workaround with an SDL 1.2 environment variable and mention that it is fixed with SDL 2.

Well I'm using SDL 2 and of course the environment variable does nothing. I cannot figure out any way to slow down the mouse cursor in Hatari. Even reducing it to a crawl in my window manager has no effect once I go into Hatari fullscreen mode.

Since there is nothing I can find on the internet acknowledging this problem occurs under SDL 2, I'm posting here. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Hatari unusable with trackpad in fullscreen mode (Hatari v2.0.0 and SDL 2 on Linux)

Postby siriushardware » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:57 pm

To definitely resolve whether this is an SDL problem or a Hatari problem, try installing SCUMMVM and a compatible game such as 'Beneath A Steel Sky' or 'Flight Of The Amazon Queen' - both available in the repos of most distros.

In fact I think if you install either of those games they will install SCUMMVM as a dependency, since both games need it to run.

Like Hatari, SCUMMVM uses SDL and has a fullscreen mode. If you have the cursor overspeed problem in fullscreen mode there as well, it's nothing to do with Hatari.

When I encountered this problem myself I jumped to the conclusion that it was a Hatari problem but it turned out to be an SDL problem, although only present for me in SDL1.2 - as you've already read, obtaining the source for and compiling SDL2 - which I had to do because SDL2 was not present in my old distro's repos - and then obtaining the (then) latest Hatari source and compiling it specifically for SDL2 using the --enable-sdl2 parameter fixed the problem for me.

When I say I compiled from the latest Hatari source, I mean a newer version than the current stable release V2.0.0. One of the devs will tell you shortly I'm sure, but I think something about the way Hatari renders the display has been changed during ongoing development of V2.x.x. Whether this will have any bearing on your problem remains to be seen.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Hatari unusable with trackpad in fullscreen mode (Hatari v2.0.0 and SDL 2 on Linux)

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:31 pm

Hatari gets the mouse position change and/or relative mouse movement events from SDL, so it's unlikely to be Hatari problem.

Problem can be related to fullscreen resolution being (much) smaller than the laptop screen resolution, and your trackpad driver (and/or SDL) not handling that correctly.

SDL2 can scale the output to any size (with HW acceleration). Make sure that Hatari fullscreen resolution (and limits for that) aren't (significantly) smaller than your monitor's native resolution.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”