A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

raticide
Atarian
Atarian

Hatari 2.0.0 & MacOS Sierra 10.12.4 crash problem

Postby raticide » Mon May 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi,

I'd like to use Hatari 2.0.0 on my MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, when I press F12->Floppy Disks->Browse, the emulator crashes with the following messages :
Crashed thread : 0 Dispatch queue : com.apple.main-thread
Exception type : EXC_BAD_ACCESS_(SIGSEV)
Exception codes : KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000000000014
Exception Note : EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Terminal Signal : Segmentation default :11
Terminal Reason : Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminal Process : exc handler(0)

VM Regions Near 0x14:
----> _TEXT 000000010000000-0000000100997000 ..... /var/folders/*/Hatari.app/Contents/MacOS/Hatari

Thread 0 Crashed : Dispatch Queue : com.apple.main-thread
0 org.tuxfamily.Hatari
1 libsystem_c.dylib _qsort + 2170
2 org.tuxfamily.Hatari
3 org.tuxfamily.Hatari
4 org.tuxfamily.Hatari
5 org.tuxfamily.Hatari

Any idea on how to fix this ? Thanks for your help everyone.

R.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Hatari 2.0.0 & MacOS Sierra 10.12.4 crash problem

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon May 15, 2017 8:20 pm

Seems like NULL pointer access called by qsort() callback. That's only called in scandir() function. According to your backtrace, that's in Hatari fallback version of that, which seems weird because I would have expected OSX to provide scandir() in system libraries i.e. your build may be configured wrong.

Is this with the plain SDL GUI (which Hatari developers can test on Linux), or in the OSX code (not maintained by Hatari developers, but outside contributions)?

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Mon May 15, 2017 10:17 pm

I also use Hatari 2.0.0 on my 2016 MacBook Pro with 10.12.4. I do not have any problems using the SDL F12 menu. I will mention that, unless you are in full screen mode, you can use the Preferences menu item in the Hatari menu or the Insert Disk A or Insert Disk B menu options in the File menu in order to insert a disk into Hatari.

I am not an official Hatari OS X maintainer, but I have tested the MacOS version in the past.

Looking at your path, what directory are you using to run Hatari? I know there was a problem in the release version if your path was too long. However, I am not sure that is the problem you are having.

Bob C

raticide
Atarian
Atarian

Postby raticide » Tue May 16, 2017 7:12 am

Eero Tamminen wrote:Seems like NULL pointer access called by qsort() callback. That's only called in scandir() function. According to your backtrace, that's in Hatari fallback version of that, which seems weird because I would have expected OSX to provide scandir() in system libraries i.e. your build may be configured wrong.

Is this with the plain SDL GUI (which Hatari developers can test on Linux), or in the OSX code (not maintained by Hatari developers, but outside contributions)?

Then thanks a lot for your reply Eero.

So first of all, you've got to know that I'm a total beginner with MacOS. This is my first one and I've got to say that the transition from Windows to MacOS is not as easy as I supposed it to be. Even the way I installed Hatari looks weird to me.
Here's what I've done :
1. Download the hatari-2.0.0_osx.dmg.zip file
2. Double click in it so that it was unzipped into a hatari-2.0.0_osx.dmg file
3. Double click this dmg file so that it was mounted. There was a kind of disk peripheral that did appear in the desktop
4. I opened this disk and double clicked on Hatari but it wasn't working so ...
5. ... I right click + "Duplicate" which resulted in adding a folder with everything
6. Double click on Hatari icon. This time, it launched properly.
7. Press F12
8. Floppy Disks
9. Browse
10. Crash

So to answer your question, it looks to me that I'm using the plain SDL GUI (which is the one I reach when I press F12) I guess. I did not do anything else. My Mac is brand new and Hatari was one of teh very tool I wanted to install on it.

Maybe I did something wrong on the installation side. I would like to see Hatari added to the application folder for instance. I also would like to add it to the dock. I need to learn how to use this mac.

R.

raticide
Atarian
Atarian

Postby raticide » Tue May 16, 2017 7:16 am

darwinmac wrote:I also use Hatari 2.0.0 on my 2016 MacBook Pro with 10.12.4. I do not have any problems using the SDL F12 menu. I will mention that, unless you are in full screen mode, you can use the Preferences menu item in the Hatari menu or the Insert Disk A or Insert Disk B menu options in the File menu in order to insert a disk into Hatari.

I am not an official Hatari OS X maintainer, but I have tested the MacOS version in the past.

Looking at your path, what directory are you using to run Hatari? I know there was a problem in the release version if your path was too long. However, I am not sure that is the problem you are having.

Bob C

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your response. I've provided some details on how I did install Hatari in my answer to Eero just above. Basically I've "duplicated" the mounted disk to a folder on the desktop. So the path might be something like : users/raticide/Desktop/Hatari 2.0.0 osx/
How can I know the path precisely ?

Cheers
R.

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Tue May 16, 2017 11:33 am

You install a program by copying it from the disk image (dmg file) to your hard disk. While Hatari appears to run from the disk image, many Mac programs will not like this. Like a lot of disk images, Hatari shows an alias (shortcut) to the Applications folder. You simply drag the Hatari application to that alias. I have attached a PNG file called hatari-install.png that shows this process.
Hatari-install.png

You can find out the entire path by holding down the Command key in the Finder (left most icon in the Dock - has smiley face) while clicking on the top section of the Finder window that has the name of the current directory.
Finder path.png

Since you are running Sierra (10.12.4), I would have thought you would have been stopped with a message that Hatari is not signed by a registered developer. If you get that message, you need to right-click on the Hatari app and click "Open" from that menu. This grants Hatari access to run despite not being code-signed by an Apple certificate. Most Mac software you install won't have this problem. The Hatari developers have not wanted to pay the $99/year for a developer license so macOS will not automatically allow Hatari to run. You will find the Security and Privacy System Preference pane by running System Preferences from the Apple menu and selecting Security and Privacy.

Security and Privacy.png

Bob C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

raticide
Atarian
Atarian

Postby raticide » Tue May 16, 2017 12:23 pm

@Bob, thanks a lot. It works like a charm now. I definitely need to understand how all this works on MacOS.
Btw, I got this security warning message that asks me to authprize the launch of the app. Thanks a lot for the anticipation though. Might be useful for others.

Cheers and thank again.
R.

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Tue May 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Now that you have it working, you will want to search on Google for actual Atari ROMs. The included EmuTOS is good, but you'll have the best compatibility with the original Atari ROMs.

You should also look at the Mac menus. You can use them instead of the SDL F 12 menus.

Bob C

raticide
Atarian
Atarian

Postby raticide » Tue May 16, 2017 3:32 pm

I installed ROMs. I also created a keymap.txt for my Mac. Everything working fine :-)
Thx also for pointing me to the Mac Menus. Might be more handy indeed.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue May 16, 2017 9:29 pm

darwinmac wrote:Now that you have it working, you will want to search on Google for actual Atari ROMs. The included EmuTOS is good, but you'll have the best compatibility with the original Atari ROMs.

There's a newer and somewhat more compatible EmuTOS version available:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/emutos ... tos/0.9.8/

(While they work with all machines, most optimal ones are 512k version for Falcon/TT, 256k version for STE, 192k version for ST.)

Main issues remaining with EmuTOS cmpatibility are:
- no support for Falcon's DSP, 16-bit color modes or color icon RSC files
- some floppy-only games (especially their cracks) are so buggy that they work only with some specific, ancient Atari TOS version and not with newer TOS versions or EmuTOS (they overwrite themselves, rely on random ROM address values etc)

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Tue May 16, 2017 10:21 pm

raticide wrote:@Bob, thanks a lot. It works like a charm now. I definitely need to understand how all this works on MacOS.
Btw, I got this security warning message that asks me to authprize the launch of the app. Thanks a lot for the anticipation though. Might be useful for others.

Cheers and thank again.
R.

I tried transitioning to a Mac from my beloved Gnome-shell when I started at my new job. I had a hard time with it, they do some things rather unintuitive for someone who has lived through all the Ataris and Amigas and onto Windows and various Linux desktop environments.

So now I just 'apt install hatari' and am ready to play. Nice that you got it working there. I believe the Hatari developers even write it mostly for Linux, right?
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Wed May 17, 2017 2:08 am

leech wrote:I tried transitioning to a Mac from my beloved Gnome-shell when I started at my new job. I had a hard time with it, they do some things rather unintuitive for someone who has lived through all the Ataris and Amigas and onto Windows and various Linux desktop environments.

So now I just 'apt install hatari' and am ready to play. Nice that you got it working there. I believe the Hatari developers even write it mostly for Linux, right?

I understand. I went the opposite way in 2002 (Linux to Mac). Yes, the Hatari developers are all Linux users as far as I know. There are a couple of people who maintain the macOS interface.

@Eero - I did see the latest EmuTOS announcement. I am sure it has changed since I last tried it but, for simply playing games, I have found the official TOS images more compatible since some developers broke the rules.

Bob C

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”