GEMDOS Drive steals letter to IDE

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

itaboy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

GEMDOS Drive steals letter to IDE

Postby itaboy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:26 am

Hello guys, I have a problem with my configuration...
I want to use an emulated IDE drive with two partions. They should be installed as disk C and disk D. After that I would like to see my GEMDOS drive (to move things from my Windows) as letter E.
When Hateri starts, everything seems ok, I see the HDDRIVER installing from my disk C.
2017-04-23 (1).png

But when the system boots, disk C is stolen and becomes the GEMDOS drive... so I only have two disks, C (which is now the GEMDOS drive) and D (the second partition of the IDE)... the original C (first partition of the IDE) has disappeared into the big nothing...
In the second picture you can see the config
2017-04-23.jpg

Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ThorstenOtto
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: GEMDOS Drive steals letter to IDE

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:54 am

How does your E:\atari\gemdoshd folder look like? There should be a directory with the name 'E' that contains your files, they should not be placed in the top directory.

itaboy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby itaboy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks, Thorsten! I have done as you suggest and everything works now... I only wonder why, with the very same scheme as before, but using Peter Pera hard disk driver instead of HDDRIVER the drives were already correct...
Only when I switched to HDDRIVER I had to put a folder "E" in Gemdos and move everything to it.
This is kinda curious...

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:03 am

itaboy wrote:Thanks, Thorsten! I have done as you suggest and everything works now... I only wonder why, with the very same scheme as before, but using Peter Pera hard disk driver instead of HDDRIVER the drives were already correct...
Only when I switched to HDDRIVER I had to put a folder "E" in Gemdos and move everything to it.
This is kinda curious...

Because my driver is polite :D When it sees some partition is already mounted, it will skip that drive letter, while Hddriver starts normally always from C, regardless is it used or not.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

itaboy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby itaboy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:18 am

Your driver is great, I agree... but actually it kept for itself the letter C, and Gemdos was forced to use to first available after C and D.. so it was perfect because it was not polite! :)

ThorstenOtto

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:07 pm

AtariZoll wrote:Because my driver is polite :D When it sees some partition is already mounted, it will skip that drive letter, while Hddriver starts normally always from C, regardless is it used or not.

That would still give not the expected result, in that case his gemdoshd would be c:, and the 2 partitions from the ide image would be d: and e: (provided that some harddisk driver is booted from the gemdos drive).

This is kinda curious...

That is how Hatari's gemdos emulation works. You only specify a single directory, if there are folders named C, D, E etc then their contents will be assigned to the corresponding drive letter, otherwise the whole folder is C.

itaboy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby itaboy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Yes, now I have seen the explanation in the help file... but I meant that it was curious that with the very same setup, and Peter Pera's driver, the Gemdos stayed quietely on letter E... from what I read that was unexpected

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:15 pm

itaboy wrote:Your driver is great, I agree... but actually it kept for itself the letter C, and Gemdos was forced to use to first available after C and D.. so it was perfect because it was not polite! :)

All depends from order when what is executed after reset. If my driver took C, then it was free, and obviously in Hatari then Gemdos drive was installed after bootable emulated driver.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:08 am

Which drive Hatari's GEMDOS HD emulation uses, depends on what Hatari options one uses.

There are few different methods for specifying which drive GEMDOS HD uses, it uses C: only by default.

One can also set an option with which GEMDOS HD skips existing HD image partitions, but it's possible that Hatari's interpretation of what partitions there are, and how the native Atari HD driver interprets them, differ if they don't support all the same partition table types.

itaboy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby itaboy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:49 am

thanks EEro. Hatari is amazing and Thorsten has put me in the right direction

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”