Network support ...

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Network support ...

Postby frank.lukas » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am

Is there any plan to support network at hatari ?

MiNT works fine with Hatari, only the Network is missing ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

GokMasE
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Network support ...

Postby GokMasE » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:48 pm

I was going to ask the same thing, but noticed this question had been asked already.

So Is there any interest in adding network support to Hatari at this time?
(I had a quick glance at the dev todo-list for Hatari but did not see it mentioned there)

Regards,

/Joakim

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:18 pm

Here's some NE2000 / NE1000 network adapter emulation code for Hatari:
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... i/memory.c

(See the code inside "NE_EMU" ifdefs.)

Ethernet traffic is handled by "rerouting" bytes accesses to cartdridge space at FAxxxx ; it this how it's done on real HW ? Does such NE adapter exist and should be plugged on cartridge port?

(Doing it like that has fairly several consequences for Hatari e.g. GEMDOS HD won't then work...)

If somebody forward ports the code to Hatari Mercurial version and makes sure it works with MiNT, please send it to hatari-devel for review & inclusion!

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:56 pm

I'd be perfectly happy with a MiNT-Net only solution. Like an ether.xif if possible. So it don't break the GEMDOS HD. My singleTOS days are long gone. ;)

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:36 pm

There are NE2000 adapters connected to the ROM port indeed. I once had one and it worked with Sting.
Addendum: I think the Ethernec does something similar aswell, ISA card connected to ROM port. See http://hardware.atari.org/ether/

I would suggest using something existing that could work directly with memory mapping. Hatari just hast to provide the address range affected and existing drivers could be patched to access the Hatari provided address range.

I would not emulate a complete existing network card, only the accessibility with Sting and Mintnet matters.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

GokMasE
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby GokMasE » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:18 am

I agree that the only thing of importance is the compatibility of the internet stack layer, STiK API and MiNTnet API.

As Lonny already mentioned, I too strongly suspect that the presence of networking capabilities would be mostly interesting to FreeMiNT users.
It would quite likely suffice to look into supporting MiNTnet since users could then just add gluestik for STiK apps. Unfortunately I don't have the necessary skills and knowledge to be of any assistance for actual implementation of stuff at this level - but would love the opportunity to setup a RPi3 + Hatari as a highly portable dev station for my online GFA Projects :)

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:02 pm

Another option would be to implement the ETHERNET Native feature. Or to use Aranym when working with MiNT ;)

GokMasE
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby GokMasE » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:51 pm

Yes, I am aware of Aranym and its networking capabilities, but would personally prefer a more traditional emulating approach, closely matching a specific Atari model, rather than the virtual machine approach for a dev station.

Hence, I still put networking capabilities in Hatari very high up on my wishlist :)

Having said that, I am quite aware that features don't grow on trees, someone with the necessary amount of devotion and skills will have to feel the need to add them as well. But wishes are indeed free ;)

/Joakim

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”