Problem with Zenobi Software Adventures

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Problem with Zenobi Software Adventures

Postby ssj » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:38 am

I'm having problems getting most Zenobi Software adventures to run with Hatari, they all work fine with Steem SSE, but Hatari fails to recognize the disks.
Here's a couple of examples:
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... 30804.html
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... 28988.html

Those dumps have some strange file extension (.stt), I'm assuming this is a a simple .st dump considering Atarimania has them tagged as ST dumps, but not really sure since all games that I can't get to work have this same .stt extension. I tried renaming them to .st just in case the emulator was doing some checks based on file extension, but no luck.

Could anyone provide some help to why these won't run in Hatari? As I said they work flawlessly on Steem SSE so the dumps are good.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Problem with Zenobi Software Adventures

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:54 pm

Hatari doesn't support STT format, and doesn't currently have plans to do that. Only emulator supporting STT (STeem ST image) format is STeem.

STT isn't similar to ST image format, as it contains also other data than track data. Nowadays STT is obsoleted by STX format, which Hatari does support.

More info: http://info-coach.fr/atari/software/Images-formats.php

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ssj » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:38 am

Oh thanks, I had no idea about what the STT format was I wonder why those were dumped like that instead of STX which seems to be the common dumps for protected disks in Atarimania (not even sure if these particular ones are protected).

Is there any way to convert these to STX?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:00 pm

The Zenobi ones weren't protected at all. You will have to use STEem to convert the .STT files into .ST files.

Insert a .STT in drive A: and a blank .ST in drive B: Go to the GEM desktop and then copy all of the files from A: to B:

Rinse and repeat for all the Zenobi .STT image files you have.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ssj » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:24 am

If they aren't protected then I guess that would work, but for the life of me I can't figure how to use 2 drives on Steem.

Even though I have both disks mounted on the disk manager I keep seeing the same content on drives A and B on the GEM desktop even after rebooting...

Normally that comes with a cryptic message whenever I click on the floppy icons "Please insert disk B into drive A" or "Please insert disk A into drive A".

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:33 pm

Have you got PASTI switched on?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:21 pm

ssj wrote:Normally that comes with a cryptic message whenever I click on the floppy icons "Please insert disk B into drive A" or "Please insert disk A into drive A".

These messages mean that drive B is not turned on. Or it was turned on after the ST boot and the operating systems was not aware about the second drive.

To turn on/off drive B, click on the corresponding drive icon on Steem's Disk Manager. It changes from grey to white.

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ssj » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:24 am

lol that was it ijor, thanks! Steem is a great emulator, but its UI isn't exactly very intuitive :)

Not related to this, but I was trying to get these to auto boot into the game, but it has been too long and don't remember exactly what needs to be done to do so, is there any guide around?
I know how to do it for hard disk games by editing the desktop.inf file, but don't recall the whole process for floppies.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:56 pm

Copy the .PRG into a new folder called AUTO.

However, if the .PRG requires any GEM stuff, such as a file selector then you will have to use one of the programs that auto-starts a GEM-based program from within the AUTO folder.

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ssj » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:48 am

That's it, thanks! Hopefully all games will work with the AUTO folder, will get started doing it for for all now. Just one question, if the game boots after doing it I can assume that everything will work fine right? It will either work or not or is it possible that I will be getting some surprises like the game crashing at a particular point in-game?

I recall using a program like the one you mention, was called STARTGEM I believe? Unfortunately tried searching for it online, but couldn't find any place to download it. Unsure if there is something better though.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:56 pm

For floppies you can also use desktop.inf file. That works also for programs that need GEM. It will fail for programs that need to be run from AUTO folder to save RAM (programs run from AUTO have more RAM available).

There are couple of programs that won't work properly when started from desktop.inf, this lists known ones:
https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/ ... c/todo.txt

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ssj » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:08 pm

Using desktop.inf would definitely be easier, I've been using it for hard disk conversions, but I don't really understand the format of the file. I simply copy paste it from one game to the other and edit the filename to run :) . For floppies I'm not sure what changes I would need to do.

I got all games running from AUTO, except Darkest Road which won't load from it, also doesn't have a PRG file, but runs from RUN.TTP. The game already includes a desktop.inf file, but I already see the format is slightly different from the hard disk games.
I'm attaching the file already converted to .st to this post, any kind soul could edit the desktop.inf file to make it bootable? That would help me understand what exactly I should be editing. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:32 pm

You can not automatically run TTP here - because it needs to enter "darkest" after clicking on RUN.TTP .
I don't see why programmers made it so - could do that command line (what would be just 'darkest' here) automatically via short starter proggie. Maybe it was Monday when sent it to publisher ? :mrgreen:
"Just one question, if the game boots after doing it I can assume that everything will work fine right? It will either work or not or is it possible that I will be getting some surprises like the game crashing at a particular point in-game?"
Surprises are always possible. In case of SW mostly bad ones. Plus, it may have some extra problems on certain TOS versions. You never can't be sure.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ssj » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:18 pm

Ah right... didn't even realize RUN.TTP needed GEM what a bummer.
Yeah have no idea why it was coded like that, some sort of command line support would definitely be useful there.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:12 pm

TOS runs only *.PRG files from AUTO-folder. You would need to rename *.TTP files to run them from AUTO.

ssj wrote:Using desktop.inf would definitely be easier, I've been using it for hard disk conversions, but I don't really understand the format of the file. I simply copy paste it from one game to the other and edit the filename to run :) . For floppies I'm not sure what changes I would need to do.

The change is exactly the same as for hard disks. For floppies, the drive identifier is "A:\" instead of "C:\".

Only thing you need to change, is the program name on this line in DESKTOP.INF:

Code: Select all

#Z 01 A:\RUN.PRG@

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:31 pm

Simon's HDMenu program may also be of interest:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29919

(It of course works on any drive, but naturally is of more use on drives with a lot of space & programs. :-))

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ssj » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:00 am

Thanks for the info, I notice there's one extra line on floppies that starts with #W and ends with A:\*.*@, I believe this is to tell GEM what folder to open. Should I remove the A:\*.* from it or it doesn't matter?

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ssj » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:41 am

Silly question, but how exactly can I edit the desktop.inf file inside an .st file?
For hard drive games it's simple because they are simply zip files so I edit the desktop.inf on the PC and then insert it back, not sure what's the easiest way to do this with .st files.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:10 am

ssj wrote:Should I remove the A:\*.* from it or it doesn't matter?

Doesn't matter.

ssj wrote:Silly question, but how exactly can I edit the desktop.inf file inside an .st file?
For hard drive games it's simple because they are simply zip files so I edit the desktop.inf on the PC and then insert it back, not sure what's the easiest way to do this with .st files.

Just copy updated desktop.inf file to it. There are command line tools to do that (e.g. mcopy CLI one from Mtools) outside emulation, but you can just do it inside the Atari emulation, from emulated harddisk to the floppy image.

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ssj » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:50 am

Thanks, got it sorted.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”