Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Hatari 2.0.0 has been released

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:50 pm

More long talk, this time with little anger :D
So, I did more tests, and got some surprises:
Instead Windows 7 tried it in Win 8.1 - and 'miracle' - that SDL2 build worked. However, CPU load was not better, contrary, it was worse than SDL1 build.
Another surprise: SDL1 build had less CPU load than in WIn 7, running same.
So, all what i can say here that I will never waste my time again on builds from so reckless page like that antarctica. What is there ? Some 20 builds with some codes, dates, and 32 or 64 bit marking. No any note about on what are tested, what are requirements, recommended Win. version and like.
You should really take more care and effort about Windows builds. Not much people will do same as I did, and waste many hours to 'discover' that what is claimed as faster is slower, not to mention that I need to find on what Win version it works at all ????

Back to sound issues. Under Win 8.1 it was pretty much same as in Ubuntu - lower CPU load, so player worked well. But not DM - ADMA was again silent, and same bad sample playback with YM. That gave me idea, since other sounds were good that it may be only YM sample playback problem. So, tried game with pure YM sound generator audio, and it was OK. Tried Starglider, which has sample play at start - and very bad. Now, before saying that faster CPU makes it bad - no - most of SW using timer A (or some other) for sample playback via YM (interrupt timing). That is independent from CPU clock, and is same in all machines. I know that DM original had good sound on TT - I tested it when I had TT here. Same for Starglider. The case of bad sample playback code is Night Raider - it uses CPU cycles for delay, so on faster CPU clock will play too fast.
Finally, I don't get why you not test it in Linux - that needs max 5 minutes. You DL that DM_ADMA.ZIP, depack somewhere - like your beloved Hatari GEMDOS emul. dir, and run RUNYM.TOS , then RUNADMA.TOS . I know that TT is not exactly gaming machine, but if you emulate it, need to make as much possible features emulated well.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:58 pm

AtariZoll wrote:More long talk, this time with little anger :D
So, I did more tests, and got some surprises:
Instead Windows 7 tried it in Win 8.1 - and 'miracle' - that SDL2 build worked. However, CPU load was not better, contrary, it was worse than SDL1 build.
Another surprise: SDL1 build had less CPU load than in WIn 7, running same.
So, all what i can say here that I will never waste my time again on builds from so reckless page like that antarctica. What is there ? Some 20 builds with some codes, dates, and 32 or 64 bit marking. No any note about on what are tested, what are requirements, recommended Win. version and like.
You should really take more care and effort about Windows builds. Not much people will do same as I did, and waste many hours to 'discover' that what is claimed as faster is slower, not to mention that I need to find on what Win version it works at all ????

Please refrain from disrepecting the work of volunteer. I never said antartica.no was an official build, it's a daily build that gets updated each time we commit a change to the main source tree. I pointed you to it as an alternative to Hatari 2.0 official build which uses SDL1, while antartica builds are more recent and use SDL2, so you could try it on your PC, but I never said it would work for sure, I said it should be tried.
So instead of complaining first, maybe ask about it first :)

Back to sound issues. Under Win 8.1 it was pretty much same as in Ubuntu - lower CPU load, so player worked well. But not DM - ADMA was again silent, and same bad sample playback with YM. That gave me idea, since other sounds were good that it may be only YM sample playback problem. So, tried game with pure YM sound generator audio, and it was OK. Tried Starglider, which has sample play at start - and very bad. Now, before saying that faster CPU makes it bad - no - most of SW using timer A (or some other) for sample playback via YM (interrupt timing). That is independent from CPU clock, and is same in all machines. I know that DM original had good sound on TT - I tested it when I had TT here. Same for Starglider. The case of bad sample playback code is Night Raider - it uses CPU cycles for delay, so on faster CPU clock will play too fast.
Finally, I don't get why you not test it in Linux - that needs max 5 minutes. You DL that DM_ADMA.ZIP, depack somewhere - like your beloved Hatari GEMDOS emul. dir, and run RUNYM.TOS , then RUNADMA.TOS . I know that TT is not exactly gaming machine, but if you emulate it, need to make as much possible features emulated well.

It seems you didn't read my answer ? I asked you to post a link to your test programs and I installed them under Linux and tried them all and said I didn't have any issue with sound on a 8 core intel cpu.

About your test with starglider and bad sample playback at start, you didn't specify which mode you tested ? Did it sound wrong in STF, in STE, in TT mode ? All 3 of them ?

Now, I tested STEAPL.ZIP on a less powerful PC (old athlon 64 at 2.2 Ghz) and results were not good, similar to yours, this PC is not powerful enough to emulate a real time 32 MHz 68030 CPU, so sound is skipping frames and result is very bad. If I uncheck "cycle exact" in the cpu settings of Hatari, then sound is nearly correct (that's because cycle exact does full caches + mmu emulation on every mem access, which is very slow to emulate compared to just reading memory). This option will make emulation slower.

Also note that STEAPL.ZIP is doing a *lot* of trap / rte to check the state of the sample buffer, those are very costly instructions to emulate. If the main program was just reading ff8909/0b/0d directly in supervisor mode without doing those trap #5, emulation would certainly be faster : as can also be seen with some falcon demos, some programs can be emulated in real time, and some will not on the same PC, it will be related to the cpu instructions that need to be emulated.

So, I think we're just hitting the limit of what your PC (or my older PC) can emulate, but that's not a bug as far as I can see.

Nicolas

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:23 pm

The problem here is that you ask some things that I do, while you can check/test in less time than you write it down here. How much time is needed to run Starglider for 20 secs in ST(E), Falcon, TT emulation modes ? OK, I did it - In STE mode sample playback was flawless. In Falcon mode game worked not at all, and in TT mode was bad. Back to Dungeon Master - flawless in STE mode, bad in Falcon mode and more bad in TT mode. I even set CPU clock to 8MHz, prefetch and cycle exact mode off, and it was same - way too fast sample playback, with much higher pitch. Same would be with Starglider, because it plays samples via YM on same basis. It seems pretty much as MFP emulation error (I avoid word bug) .
I don't think that you tested Dungeon Master at all. No way that it is OK by you in TT mode, unless you run some newer/test build.
I gave link for it some posts later. Here is again the explicit link: http://atari.8bitchip.info/dwnld.php?get=DM_ADMA.ZIP

About disrespect of volunteer : do you really think that he respects users by not giving any relevant info about those builds, so they need to waste time and find on what it actually works ? Did he test it at all considering CPU load in compare to SDL1 versions ? All I see is 120% longer executable (maybe did not set compiler properly, so there is lot of useless in binary left ?), worse compatibility with Windows versions and bigger CPU load. So what I should respect there ? Good intention is not enough.

Finally, that my audio player is early version, I chose it intentionally instead some better one. Because errors are better noticeable with it. And one TT owner tested it yesterday on real TT, and it worked well. I don't care for slower emulation of traps - program spends most time with waiting, and CPU in TT will run with 100% speed in any case. Plus, it actually works pretty well with my PC - in WIndows 8.1 . CPU Load was only some 50% for that 1 core. Why it is much more in win 7 is another mystery, and I guess that we will not deal with it ...

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:12 pm

OK, I will try make a shorter answer than your long ranting.

I asked you if Starglider worked in different modes, because believe it or not, I have a life apart from Atari emulation, which I do a as a hobby, but not full time. It would take certainly 20 sec to test, except that when I asked you I wasn't at home and didn't have a way to test it on my PC.
I'm also sorry about Dungeon Master , but I never played it, so I don't know at which point I should hear sound, I tried your version and I only hear a sample during the FLT logo and that's all. So what ?

As for the build for antartica.no, sorry for wasting your precious time and excuse us for not spending more time to help you. This builds didn't help you, I'm sorry about that. But over the year many windows users were happy to use them to see what the latest developpement version looked like and this version worked for them. But you're right, better blame other people ...

I never said Hatari was perfect emulation, it's work in progress ; input is always appreciated, but things such as "the cpu emulation seems poorly written to take so much cpu" are not very helpful.

I don't say your audio player doesn't work, I just say that it uses perfectly valid instructions, but in those cases, bad luck, emulating those instructions happen to be costly and require a more powerful cpu.

To sum it up : over the years, I read your posts on atari-forum.com ; they're certainly very technical and a proof that you know what you talk about regarding Atari ST/TT/Falcon. But you clearly have a communication problem with people. Your tone just become inadequate and sometimes arrogant when people don't go your way. Hatari didn't work for you and now you're considering we made you waste your time. Similar to when you considered Steem lacked some important features and you "forked" it trying to blame Steem SSE for not having such or such feature.

You often ended up being banished from the forum for some time due to your behaviour, but you just didn't learn. And don't try to tell me that it's me who didn't understand your tone, I perfectly understood it and if you don't realize how to communicate with other people here in a respectful way, then there's nothing we can do for you.

Take a deep breath, have some sleep and come back when you have more constructive input.

So, good bye from me ; don't spend time answering to this, we all know that it will go in an endless debate and I'd rather keep this thread about Hatari only.

Nicolas

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:26 am

Yes, I can not communicate - because you are unable to ask simple thing - when and how to reach point in DM where can hear sampled sound :mrgreen:
If you don't like games maybe should think that here we talk about testing SW, on your SW. That people can not read minds, but can see when something not works well, or works not at all. I spent 1000x more time than in this thread explaining to people things about my SW, and yet, I did not lose my nerves because someone said that it has some flaws.
Ah, btw. that FTL logo is not sampled sound, actually is not part of DM, it is separated code, supplied with every FTL game. But you rather thought that i'm idiot, and being so polite did not say it :D Well, I say that you are childish and arrogant. And you can go to admin and demand ban, because I telling the truth again. While you twisting my words over and over again. Sorry for my intention to make Hatari more accurate emulator. Maybe it's main problem is your attitude - and I'm poor with people, so can not improve it .
And that antarctica case - 'some people found it helpful' - sure, those lucky ones not using Windows 7 (+ likely XP ....). What about those, for which it worked not ? I guess that you came for them with usual 'blah' - I don't have Windows, etc. Well, find someone who has it, and not only one version. Do same as some - test SW (organize it) on different, popular platforms. Today is not enough to say 'works on Windows' . Like it was not enough after 1987 to say 'works on Atari ST' - some wanted to know what TOS version .... And worse, I reported errors, which appear in Linux v. too. You were not so busy to write replies here, still did not see that bad sample playback self. Ah sorry, you weren't at home ... What about communicate, and say that you will test it later ?
Your mentioning of Steem 'forking' is another example of arrogance. I asked Steven Seagal, with who I have good relation, and we mailing some things, for some features. He was not interested, so I went into doing those improvements of emulation self (and that was not first time with Steem). That took more time than for some experienced C coder would, but no problem, tastes are different.

Hatari worked for me, and I said that I'm happy because working PMMU. Actually, I could (and now I know I should) finish with it, and then I would be now good guy for you. Some issues with sound in Hatari ? Who cares ! Let's all be nice and respectful with others - don't tell that is has errors, don't tell that need to supply couple useful notes with SW download for instance. No, that hurts people ! There were another cases of insulted people here, for similar reason. Some learned and corrected. Some asked, and got ban. And I'm still same, and will not change, because what I done was right.
You are far from me, who usually always say 'thanx' when getting error report. After all, that's more useful than praising.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:30 am

Despite someone here don't want to listen my constructive critic, and called my longer posts ranting, I will write here more, since this is open source SW, and if not he, someone other my going in correcting source code. In better times I could go into it myself, but now I simply can not go thru long source files, and spend days while understand some necessary things ...
I talked about Linux problems because it is actually Hatari related here. Obviously Hatari team is not Windows fan. Myself using both - Linux and Win over 20 years. And I experienced good and bad with both. The point is that I really spent much more time with this error reporting and clarifying than expended. What should be max 20 minutes testing in Ubuntu appeared to be half day (over 10 hours) of hassle, couple installs of diverse Ubuntu versions and really strange and never seen in Ubuntu errors. Then, on top of all it came that DSL2 Windows version hassle.
But I'm glad that I tried it all out, because I know now much more. Well, not only SW errors related, sadly.

So, I will offer some more help for fixing sound issues in TT, and likely in Falcon YM emulation: I looked for more SW what plays samples via PSG on Ataris. And there is actually lot if it. Even some what myself coded. So, there is YM sample playback at start of Start Trek :
http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/startrek.html
And surprise - it plays well in TT emulation of Hatari. And I have source of playback code.
Then I wanted something with source, what plays bad - and there is such - Helter Skelter . I will not give link for it, because it needs patched v. where on TT will force YM playback of sample instead DMAA . If someone wants it, will post here, together with YM playback source, + source for Star Trek - that should help in finding cause of bad playback.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:52 am

Is there any topic/field in which you are not considering yourself superior and all the others as idiots? I think you reached your peak with the English thread, that was real fun seeing you mentoring native speakers how the simplest phrases should and shouldn't be spelled and used. :)

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:49 pm

mikro wrote:Is there any topic/field in which you are not considering yourself superior and all the others as idiots? I think you reached your peak with the English thread, that was real fun seeing you mentoring native speakers how the simplest phrases should and shouldn't be spelled and used. :)

Usually I don't reply on such shallow and full with inaccuracies posts, but now I will:
Wongk is native English speaker, I guess ... We can discuss spelling in written form, I guess ... I jump here in all threads ... Sure, I feel superior when read posts like you. Other word i will not repeat here :mrgreen:

Now, to write something what may be even little topic: Over 1 year is passed since Hatari 2.0.0 is released. And nobody reported that YM playback issue so far ? That raises some questions: how Hatari is really popular among Atari people ? Anyone interested in TT emulation, emulation of games on TT ?
I would say that only few people can be. It just happened that one TT user mailed me that most of my hard disk adapts crashes on his TT, right after start. He mentioned only one title: Dungeon Master . So, I came on idea that it is right moment to check latest Hatari release, and especially TT emulation of it. Honestly, I was not in mood to do it earlier, because we had similar Windows version crashes in past, then I did not expect some huge improvement.
That was probably mistake, since PMMU emulation appears as good and useful for me. So, I ran DM in emulated TT and it started well, but then I noticed described audio errors. In meantime, TT user found the cause for problem - after I recommended him to deactivate resident SW - it was MACCEL3.PRG, what btw. made no problems with STE.
So, I came here to say what was good and what was bad in my tests in this Hatari version. Obviously there is nothing 'superiority' in that act - it is just that I deal with game adaptations, so gaming on TT is something were I'm involved much more than average user. And reporting was easy part, hard things came after. Indeed, I felt threaten as idiot because we never reached point that npomarede spotted YM playback errors. And that was just because bad communication - he did not say what should.
What hurts here is overall attitude, especially considering Windows users. Nobody forced npomarede to go in testings, fixing immediately. He could say that will test later, he could ask for more sample playback SW examples ...
Now, some may say that if I don't like it, move away from this thread, do not use Hatari and like ... Is it the right way, or we can think about that things can be done better, always can be ... Who did read last few posts carefully could see what I complained, and why was it bad for users.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:22 pm

OK, I said I would not answer but ...
I never said we don't care about windows users, I said no one ever volunteered to maintain a windows version of Hatari, so Hatari for Windows comes "as is", no guarantee. But believe it or not, over the years many people used succesfully the Windows version we provide. For those cases where it didn't work, people reported it in a somewhat different way that you did and it was eventually fixed and everybody was happy in the end. Guess it might be related to people communicating better ...

As for TT emulation I will repeat it : there's no bug so far in the test I did with the programs you pointed (Star Trek intro and STEAPL.ZIP) : you just need a more powerful PC and the sound will be correct. Like it not, but that's how it is, emulating a 32 MHz 68030 CPU takes a lot of ressource.

Let's do some math compared to DMA sound under STE : 32 Mhz cpu instead of 8 MHz, so you need 4 time more CPU ressource to emulate one second of TT cpu time.
Then the improvement of the 68030 over 68000 regarding number of cycles : a rough estimate can give that in average the same instruction takes less cycle than on 68000, so maybe we can consider that at equal freq a 68030 would be 50% faster than a 68000.
All in all, this means a TT at 32 MHz needs 6 times more CPU power for emulation than to emulate an STF 68000.

So, that's the math. It takes a lot more CPU to emulate 32 MHz TT and this is confirmed by the fact the TT emulation + sound runs flawlessly on a recent/powerful intel cpu with 8 core. There's no bug in emulation, it's just slower.

As for Star Trek sounding better than STEAPL.ZIP, it perfectly matches what I told earlier : STEAPL.ZIP uses a lot of TRAP/RTE to check the sample buffer address, which is costly to emulate (exceptions are costly to emulate, there's a lot of context to save). In Star Trek, the replay routine is much simple : it reads ff8901 and check for bit 0, this is much faster to emulate (some MOVE and Bcc)
So yes, in the end emulating the DMA audio in Star Trek intro requires less cpu than in STEAPL.ZIP and sound is better.

Nicolas

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:40 pm

I think that we agreed in DMA playback issues, and that it was bad because too much CPU load. + I said that it was much better in Linux and Win 8.1 .
So, I would say that needs powerful CPU, but OS on which it runs matters too.
And still, after I repeated it couple times you did not see (hear) YM sample playback problems. Actually, Dungeon Master is what I see as easiest at moment to run on all emulated platforms. Starglider is old adapt, so it needs real ACSI emulation - will not work from GEMDOS partition. Cracks will not work too on Falcon, maybe on TT (unless can run some STE compatibility settings before start). Same is for Helter Skelter. I will make some test version(s) in day-two, which will work on all platforms without special measures of user. Nothing is urgent here, problem is not new afterall. And I need to look more YM sample playing SW.

Until it, you may try DM, especially as I said that there is problem with DMA sample playback too (Linux) .
RUNADMA.TOS in STE emul. mode first - then will hear proper samples.
Short hint: open door at start with upper button. Walk inside with arrows, mouse clicks on directions, rotation. When you are in bigger room walk to some picture on wall, click it and click on resurrect, and you are not ghost anymore but player who can run into wall - do it with arrow up and will hear sampled audio . Near is door what leads to underground, and it makes some sound too when opening. But that sample played already - when you opened first door with green button. Compare it with sounds in TT, Falcon modes ...
YM playback is bad on Falcon too, as just tested. For start run RUNYM.TOS first with TT emul, because very likely will not hear any sample in DMAA mode on emulated TT (mentioned silence) .

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:51 pm

I found good game for YM sample playback tests: http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/murder.html
It runs well in Hatari with ST(E), TT, Falcon emul. , from GEMDOS partition . When newspaper screen appears just click right button and sample play will start. It is bad in Falcon mode, and more bad in TT mode.
And you may see that in Falcon mode coverscan pic displaying (after HW info screen) is bad (on real Falcon is OK) . It is 320x240px, 256 colors, 8bpp .

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:08 pm

But it's the same problem : if your PC is not fast enough to emulate a falcon or TT in realtime, then it's not just DMA sound that will be bad, it will be all the sound in general (YM or DMA).
If your PC is not fast enough, it won't be able to fill the OS sound buffer at a steady rate in real time, so some parts will be skipped.
There's no bug here either, a faster PC is needed.

As for the image not correct in Falcon mode, it is stated in Hatari's doc that Videl emulation is far from complete at the moment, many features are not supported yet (not related to the fact that it could seems simple to display this image).

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:43 pm

It is not same problem at all.
HatariTT_YM_sampleCPUloadWin7.jpg

As may see CPU load is 12% (total, for 4 cores), so it is max 48% for core where Hatari runs. In some other OS can be even lower.
Because samples play too fast and pitch is high it is opposite of slow PC CPU actually in some way. And because playback speed and via it pitch is controlled in this case with timer A, error is most likely in Timer-A emulation - it just has much shorter period time than should.
Not theory - I just traced Murder in Steem Debugger, and during playback TACR is set to 1. If I change it to 2, pitch and speed goes on half, so it is for sure Timer-A . I guess you can do same with Console Debugger in Hatari .

P.S. And I feel need to add something PC CPU clock related. We are near to max achievable clock rates with silicon technology - and that's around 5GHz .
Over it come some extreme heat problems, unreliable work etc. No wonder that direction went in multi cores. Intel talked in era of P4, around 2002 that it will be able to work on 10 GHz. Obviously they were wrong, and then took way of more efficient CPU at same clock + multi core.
I say all this because if 4GHz 1 core is too weak for TT emulation, then Hatari maybe will be not able to emulate TT 100 % accurately - since we may expect that bigger accuracy will result in bigger CPU load.
Expecting that CPUs will be able to achieve significantly better performance at same clock speed, talking about 1 core power is also not realistic. They are already near possible max. So, perspective is not much good. Some different programming approach will be necessary, I guess.
I recently did some comparison tests with this 4x4GHz and couple older, single core PCs, with P4 at 2.66 GHz and AMD Sempron at 1.8 Ghz . Measured execution time of single core app, what uses SSE2 instructions (converting 24bpp BMP to Atari STE hi color format) . At 4MHz (1 core only) it was 7 sec.
On P4 52 secs, and on Sempron 54 secs . So, much more efficient considering clock ratios. I don't know is it because heavy usage of SSE2, or normal CPU instructions are so much faster executed too. In any case I did not expect so big improvement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AtariZoll on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:52 pm

After a quick test with latest Hatari dev build on macOS in STE vs TT mode (8/16/32MHz) on a Core i7 I would tend to agree that something seems off here.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:47 pm

Maybe a section for support/bug reports should be created like for Steem?

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:42 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:Maybe a section for support/bug reports should be created like for Steem?

It doesn't bother me if people mention bugs in thread about a release, trafic is rather low, so it's not that hard to follow bug reports this way compared to a dedicated section.

solskogen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby solskogen » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:00 am

AtariZoll wrote:More long talk, this time with little anger :D

Hi! I'm the one running that site.
The builds are not tested. At all. It's just a automatic job running that cross compiles hatari from one of my Linux machine. It runs every hour, and if there has been any change in the hatari source, it will compile it. The compiler it the latest and greatest from GCC, and the runtime is mingw-w64.
I tend to update hatari on my Windows machine every time I use it, so I will test some builds and if it's not working I try to fix it. Or report it.

If you'd had more respect for the work I've put down into this I would probably have tried my builds on Windows 7, but thanks to you that will not happen.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:56 am

solskogen wrote:Hi! I'm the one running that site.
The builds are not tested. At all. It's just a automatic job running that cross compiles hatari from one of my Linux machine. It runs every hour, and if there has been any change in the hatari source, it will compile it. The compiler it the latest and greatest from GCC, and the runtime is mingw-w64.
I tend to update hatari on my Windows machine every time I use it, so I will test some builds and if it's not working I try to fix it. Or report it.
If you'd had more respect for the work I've put down into this I would probably have tried my builds on Windows 7, but thanks to you that will not happen.

Welcome to the Atari people. So, you perform some automatic job, with the 'greatest, latest' compiler, you update your Hatari regularly on your Win.
And I should be impressed and respect it :D Well, sir, I need to inform you some things: if you want respect, do job for the community and not for yourself. Ah, you do it - you have site ... Clear as muddy water :D I spent more time only with reporting this audio errors (and now it is clear YM playback bug) in only this thread, than you spent overall for your compilings. And I spent at least 1000x more time for Atari related things as doing SW, HW stuff and helping people on forums, via e-mailing etc. So, I'm sorry for not showing respect at all. You need to do much more and better.
Actually, what you said really helps not in gaining respect: your latest GCC may be the 'greatest' - but pointing on such things is typical for beginners. And how is that your binaries are 2.5x longer than 'official' binary ? Is it compiler, which is greatest, so must produce greatest files, or it is just that you can not set it properly ? Not to mention that is is slower too.
And that last sentence is so childish. Am I only Windows 7 user here ? Regardless from that, no, you don't need to do anything for me. I will rather compile myself Hatari - and that will be not first time.

thothy
Hatari Developer
Hatari Developer

Postby thothy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:06 am

AtariZoll, as others already told you: Stop ranting about the volunteered work of others! The antarctica page has helped a lot of Windows users already, so if it did not work for you, just state it once in a polite fashion and then shut up. npomarede is right - you definitely have a communication problem with people.

Anyway, this thread has gone way beyond its original purpose (Hatari 2.0 released), so time to close this now.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”