A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

distantminds
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

strange audio behaviour all of a sudden

Postby distantminds » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:57 pm

Hey guys,

I wonder if anyone else can shed some light on this strange behaviour i've suddenly started seeing in Hatari.

A couple of days ago on my Macbook Pro running 10.10, I updated OS X to 10.10.5, and immediately afterwards I noticed that the audio output of Hatari 1.8 was behaving erratically. It was glitching and being interrupted. Weird. I rebooted the laptop and everything came good.

Today I decided to install Hatari on my work laptop, running 10.11.5. I grabbed 1.9 from the website. Immediately I noticed it had the same audio issues as I'd experienced on the other machine/OS. I tried installing 10.8, but still the problem persists. No reboot fixes this time!

I don't get it! I've had problem-free audio on my own laptop for a good year or two on 10.8, and now it's just not bearable :)

My gut tells me maybe an OS update broke something in SDL. I was always under the impression the builds on the website contain SDL within the package anyway..

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

thanks all,

D

distantminds
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: strange audio behaviour all of a sudden

Postby distantminds » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:08 pm

So it appears that Hatari is peaking the CPU usage on my work laptop, even though it's a beast.

According to activity monitor it's using 130% or thereabouts. My significantly lower powered home laptop (which is working fine) is only making around 35% cpu utilisation.

So something in the hardware/OS configuration is not happy. But very interesting that I had a hint of this with my own laptop, which is back to behaving normally.

Any ideas gratefully received!

D

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:54 am

Hi
why use Hatari 1.8 ? Hatari 1.9 is available for OSX too and it supports SDL2 which is known to be more compatible with OSX and take less resource.

Nicolas

distantminds
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby distantminds » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:07 am

Hello Nicolas,

I tried 1.9 first - it exhibited the same issues on this machine/OS. So i went back to 1.8, which I've been running faultlessly on a lower specced macbook for years. Obviously that didn't help :)

What i'm trying to say is, i've never had a CPU resource issue with Hatari/SDL on my previous incarnations of OS X or Hatari. This is new and happening with OS X 10.11 + Hatari 1.8/1.9 +SDL 1.2 I guess.

Happy to try 1.9 again and SDL2 if means i'm back in business - does it use SDL2 by default or do I need to turn it on somehow?

thank you :)

damo

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:26 am

On the Hatari mailing list, some users compiled their own version using SDL2, but I don't recall any link to these were posted.
I don't use OSX, so I can't help, but maybe someone will read this and post a link to an Hatari SDL2 enabled version.

Nicolas

distantminds
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby distantminds » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:34 am

thanks Nicolas, i'll take a look :)

D

distantminds
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby distantminds » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:26 pm

Mystery solved! thanks to the don Evl! :cheers:

It's an issue with woeful SDL1.2 performance rendering to a Retina display :(

Fingers crossed for a smooth transition to SDL2 :)

Sorry for the spammy thread but it might be useful for someone in the future trying to run Hatari on high DPI displays..

cheers
D

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi
Troed / Sync has compiled a version of the latest devel version of Hatari with SDL2 : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/669 ... 160609.zip
You should give it a try :)

distantminds
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby distantminds » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:22 am

PARTY TIME!!

yep, this works just great! And with the added bonus of the new video.c for the most accurate emulation yet :) It's a milestone in ST emulation surely :)

I have some issues quitting fullscreen but i'm not bothered about that, performance is great!

Thank you so much Mr Styckx, Evl and Troed!

damo

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”