Minimal multitask configuration for Hatari

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Minimal multitask configuration for Hatari

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:12 pm

Have you tried latest EmuTOS snapshot? It should AFAIK have already complete TT OS call support, if not, that's EmuTOS bug.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:12 am

I had a quick look at the EmuTOS sources, and as far as I can tell, it seems to work differently compared to TOS when changing the desktop screen resolution.

On TOS4, the VDI is informed about the "new" modecode through v_opnwk(). That doesn't seem to be the case on EmuTOS. Furthermore, on EmuTOS, the AES changes the screen resolution using Setscreen() prior to opening the physical workstation. All this is handled by the VDI on TOS4.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:46 pm

shoggoth wrote:I had a quick look at the EmuTOS sources, and as far as I can tell, it seems to work differently compared to TOS when changing the desktop screen resolution.

On TOS4, the VDI is informed about the "new" modecode through v_opnwk(). That doesn't seem to be the case on EmuTOS. Furthermore, on EmuTOS, the AES changes the screen resolution using Setscreen() prior to opening the physical workstation. All this is handled by the VDI on TOS4.

Not support by Emutos, I have the confirmation from Roger and it's even more complex than this as all is down and restart! So I can't support this.

Olivier
OL

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:51 pm

Hello,

I have updated the archive, news:

- Resolution change should work under TOS 3 & TOS 4, I not set correctly yet size of desktop, it is a bug of MyAES resolution change should be fixed soon.
- Fix icon in 2 planes mode
- Fix size of radio button and check box for small resolutions
- More nice Check display

Olivier
OL

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:33 pm

OL wrote:Hello,

- Resolution change should work under TOS 3 & TOS 4, I not set correctly yet size of desktop, it is a bug of MyAES resolution change should be fixed soon.

Olivier

I just update again the archive, to fix size and position desktop issue after resolution
OL

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:55 pm

New update :

- Now resolution change on TOS 1, 2 and Emutos is working
- Reduce a bit the memory use (small reduce still need minimum 8Mo)

OL wrote:
OL wrote:Hello,

Olivier

I just update again the archive, to fix size and position desktop issue after resolution
OL

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:11 pm

New update:

- Add a second very simple windframe, to choose at start "Small windframe (OL)", far more adapted to ST resolutions.
- Small redraw fix

Olivier
OL

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:21 pm

OL wrote:New update:

- Add a second very simple windframe, to choose at start "Small windframe (OL)", far more adapted to ST resolutions.
- Small redraw fix

Olivier

New update:

The small windframe replace the old internal version and now for for 1 to 16 color resolution this windframe is loaded rather the external windframe. It reduce in same time the memory need.

Olivier
OL

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:17 am

Just tested it! Overall experience is very good, nice to see that it looks meaningful in lower resolutions too :)

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:36 pm

Photo 3 of Cyprian redraw issue should be fixed too now (I fix it some hours after last update noticed).
OL

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:47 pm

shoggoth wrote:Just tested it! Overall experience is very good, nice to see that it looks meaningful in lower resolutions too :)

Good, I hope be able to do nice surprise soon for low res
OL

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:34 pm

OL wrote:Good, I hope be able to do nice surprise soon for low res

Looking forward to it!

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:26 pm

shoggoth wrote:
OL wrote:Good, I hope be able to do nice surprise soon for low res

Looking forward to it!

Nothing to see unfortunately, I have implement a new text redraw not using VDI text redraw, it work but I hope it could be faster but I not see real speed up so no interest for the moment.

I have updated the archive to remove possible Mint message "no command line for Mint", it not fix the problem itself only the display of it!

Olivier
OL

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:49 pm

OL wrote:Nothing to see unfortunately, I have implement a new text redraw not using VDI text redraw, it work but I hope it could be faster but I not see real speed up so no interest for the moment

Hatari has some good profiling functions, but I personally haven't used them. Perhaps that could be useful when optimising things?

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:10 pm

It should be fairly easy to use if one isn't afraid of Hatari debugger command line. Just set breakpoints to where you want to start and end profile, enable profiling and continue emulation. When you hit the profile end breakpoint, save profile. Give that file to the profile post-processing script, along with the debugging symbols info for you program, and the script will give you top symbols/functions in terms of call counts, executed instructions & used cycles, and callgraphs for each of these.

There are lots of examples of the debugger usage in the Falcon Doom/BadMood thread and BadMood sources, for much more complex use-cases (e.g. finding frames that are most expensive on CPU & DSP side and auto-generating profile information for those, or profiling which of the DSP communications require polling, and which have always results ready when CPU gets there).

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:37 pm

Hello

I have updated the archive:

- New mint kernel to fix error message
- New myaes to be able to better use long menu under low resolution, now Qed can be used in low res

For low res I think there is an interesting mode in MyAES, you can try to modify in myaes.cnf:

flying_menu=false

by

flying_menu=true

as this application can use the full screen

Olivier
OL

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:02 pm

nice feature
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:54 am

Hello,

please update the configuration by the new one I just updated if you have download previous one, the mint kernel HOSTFS not work correctly under TOS (and probably under Emutos), I return to previous version that work fine. Sorry for this issue.

myosd now is compiled in pure 68000 so can run on this configuration, it have been compiled with vbcc.

Olivier

OL wrote:Hello

I have updated the archive:

- New mint kernel to fix error message
- New myaes to be able to better use long menu under low resolution, now Qed can be used in low res

For low res I think there is an interesting mode in MyAES, you can try to modify in myaes.cnf:

flying_menu=false

by

flying_menu=true

as this application can use the full screen

Olivier
OL

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:25 pm

Hello,

:megaphone:

update of the archive:

- Continue to reduce size need by MyAES (still not work in 4Mo :-( )
- Now the mini version not use anymore mintlib (no stdlib at all)
- Fix file selector in ST Low and ST Mid, now default selector is not use in this resolution as it is not compatible but internal one
- Add NVDI palette to have nice display of MyAES in 256 colors
- Add LDG TSR
- Add Xcontrol and STGuide accessory

Olivier
OL

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:50 pm

I tried the latest version and noticed a weird bug.

If after booting the setup, I open drive C: and then CLIPBRD folder, Teradesk crashes (and is restarted). This is 100% reproducible, both with 8 & 14MB and with ST-low & ST-high resolutions. I'm opening the drive & folder by using Hatari middle click, which does a double click even when Hatari is run with fast-forward.

Note: there's a small difference on whether Hatari is in fast-forward mode or not. In fast-forward mode, Teradesk crashes when folder is opened, without fast-forward mode, it crashes with the folder is closed. I.e. the crash could be some kind of race-condition as timings affect it.

The weird thing is that this happens only with the CLIPBRD folder, but I don't know whether that's just due to timing.

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:44 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:I tried the latest version and noticed a weird bug.

If after booting the setup, I open drive C: and then CLIPBRD folder, Teradesk crashes (and is restarted). This is 100% reproducible, both with 8 & 14MB and with ST-low & ST-high resolutions. I'm opening the drive & folder by using Hatari middle click, which does a double click even when Hatari is run with fast-forward.

Note: there's a small difference on whether Hatari is in fast-forward mode or not. In fast-forward mode, Teradesk crashes when folder is opened, without fast-forward mode, it crashes with the folder is closed. I.e. the crash could be some kind of race-condition as timings affect it.

The weird thing is that this happens only with the CLIPBRD folder, but I don't know whether that's just due to timing.

Ok I can reproduce this, very strange, I'm going to check this, I have done so many change to not use mintlib and reduce size, I have include some bugs I'm afraid.

Answer in some days.

Thanks for information

Olivier
OL

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:22 pm

Btw. While Vasm is nice compared to GAS, VBCC is less so compared to GCC. My experience is that newer GCC versions produce clearly faster code than VBCC, at least with their higher optimization levels. It's possible that GCC also produces smaller code with -Os than VBCC. VBCC Atari libc is also pretty raw (its maintainer is Amiga developer and it hasn't had as much testing/usage as older C-libraries).

When I was testing VBCC & GCC more (~4 years ago), I found several code generation bugs in VBCC (which Frank Wille later fixed). Although I know that GCC has had its share of bugs, I've never personally found any code generation issues with it, so I would also think GCC m68k backend to have less code generation bugs.

In any case, I would recommend building also GCC, as its warning options are pretty good.

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:12 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:Btw. While Vasm is nice compared to GAS, VBCC is less so compared to GCC. My experience is that newer GCC versions produce clearly faster code than VBCC, at least with their higher optimization levels. It's possible that GCC also produces smaller code with -Os than VBCC. VBCC Atari libc is also pretty raw (its maintainer is Amiga developer and it hasn't had as much testing/usage as older C-libraries).

When I was testing VBCC & GCC more (~4 years ago), I found several code generation bugs in VBCC (which Frank Wille later fixed). Although I know that GCC has had its share of bugs, I've never personally found any code generation issues with it, so I would also think GCC m68k backend to have less code generation bugs.

In any case, I would recommend building also GCC, as its warning options are pretty good.

At this time MyAES compil in PureC and GCC and not with VBCC. I have probably a PureC lib issue as result is not compatible with 68000, so the version here is GCC version.

Have you done this test on an older version, does it work? I not see relation with MyAES, perhaps it is more link with Mint mini tosfs? If I remove mintmini kernel MyAES run in pure single tos and when I open "CLIPBRD" folder it work nice. For me the issue come from mint tosfs but I can be wrong.

OL
OL

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:43 pm

I converted MyHatari directory to 8MB disk image:

Code: Select all

tools/atari-hd-image.sh 8 myhatari.img MYHATARI myhatari/

And tried whether that has the bug also:

src/hatari --trace os_base --tos etos512k.img -m -s 14 --acsi myhatari.img

And things crash also when run from HD image, so it's not the TOSFS issue with GEMDOS HD.

NOTE: I used EmuTOS so that I don't need to install HD driver (EmuTOS supports HDs with DOS MBR out of the box, and Hatari's atari-hd-image.sh script creates one).

EmuTOS actually gives more info on the crash, it would seems to be NULL address issue:

M68000 Bus Error writing at address $0 PC=$c8df7f80.
Bus Error at address $0, PC=$c8df7f80 addr_e3=c8df7f82 op_e3=19

Panic: Bus Error
misc=0005 opcode=0019
addr=00000000 sr=2308 pc=c8df7f82

D0-3: 0000000b 00000000 000000b8 00000037
D4-7: 00000000 00000000 000000a8 00000068
A0-3: 0020c786 00000001 0020c786 00000000
A4-7: 001fb08c 001fb040 001fb094 00006610
 USP: 001faf04

basepage=001d4a34
text=001d4b34 data=001f5632 bss=001f71c8

*** Press any key to continue ***

Next step would be to test disk image without TOSFS, using the default VFATFS. And if the issue happens only with TOSFS, contact Helmut. AFAIK he's the only person looking after TOSFS, as it's not in MiNT proper anymore and Helmut just updated it to newer MiNT I guess to be able to use Hatari with it. :-)

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:29 pm

The issue looks very strange, I have done several tests:

- Mintmini using Emutos AES Teradesk work
- MyAES running without Mintmini in sigle mode, Teradesk work
- Teradesk with Emutos work

The only case is : MyAES + Mintmini failed

Probably an issue with MyAES, does someone has an old version to test if it failed or not before?

Olivier
OL

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”