Hatari FreeBSD ACSI hard drives broken

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.2.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Hatari FreeBSD ACSI hard drives broken

Postby fmh » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:52 pm

I am currently using GhostBSD 10.1 Beta2 (FreeBSD 10.1) 32-bit and I believe when FreeBSD went to 10.0 that ACSI drive support quit working. In prior versions of FreeBSD 9.X I had ACSI drives working. In 10.0 and now 10.1 they are not recognized. GEMDOS (Host FS) works though. I'd hate to have to copy everything from a working (Windows or OSX Hatari) drive to a folder and transfer that to FreeBSD. I have hard drive containers that I am building up and Zip them up to DropBox. If I am building a new machine or don't have an Atari drive I just log into Dropbox download and UnZip the drive and go.

Any Hatari FreeBSD 10.X users out there? If so what are your experiences with ACSI drives?
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Hatari FreeBSD ACSI hard drives broken

Postby Hippy Dave » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:49 pm

Are you actually using ACSI hardware?
Do you mount the ACSI drive image from a partition on real hard drive?
Or are you simply selecting an ACSI drive image in Hatari?

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:10 pm

I am mounting a ACSI Drive Image. I can use that image under Windows or OSX and Hatari just fine.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:33 pm

I assume you mean running Hatari under FreeBSD, not running m68k BSD under Hatari emulation?

What exactly means "quit working"? What happens?

Which Hatari version you're using?

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:04 pm

I am running Hatari V1.8.0 under GhostBSD (FreeBSD 10.1) i386 32bit version not 64Bit.

Under FreeBSD 9.X Hatari V1.7.0 and 1.8.0 ACSI hard drive images worked meaning that the image file I have of Drive C: Hatari would boot from. After going to FreeBSD 10.1 ACSI drives are no longer seen by Hatari while it is running.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:12 am

Similar problems were under Ubuntu with Hatari 1.8 . There is patch released to fix some issues:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=27068&p=261506&hilit=hatari+patch#p261506
Get patched file.c and try with it. I did not use FreeBSD and don't know about it, so it may help or not .

Just from curiosity: what are benefits of using FreeBSD today ?
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:57 am

Thanks I will have to look at the patch.

As a side note since ACSI Drive Images don't work now in BSD but the GEMDOS Drive does. On a working Windows Hatari build I copied C: to the GemDOS drive and put that on the BSD machine. Hatari sees the GEMDOS drive as C: but will not boot MiNT from it. I was hoping because my ACSI drive was FAT16 and nothing fancy so I figured it would work.

Benefits to me is that I normally run older hardware and GhostBSD (FreeBSD) 32-bit runs very well with little resources. As little as 512MB RAM runs very well. Exponentially much better than Ubuntu with the same hardware. All the basic software is there. Negative is less software and more effort in installing and updating software. Well at least for me right now as there is no working package manager that I am aware of in GhostBSD so its command line all the time for getting software and searching for software. I used to be a big fan PCBSD but they are 64-bit only now and started feeling bloated.

Lastly since it's BSD I am getting my hands dirty for better understanding of MiNT for my Atari VMs and now FireBee.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Hippy Dave » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi, a quick look at the Hatari manual may help to get everyone on the right page. The following link starts with Floppy disk images, but if you keep reading, it goes on to Hatari disk drives etc.
http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/h ... isk_images

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:32 pm

fmh wrote:As a side note since ACSI Drive Images don't work now in BSD but the GEMDOS Drive does. On a working Windows Hatari build I copied C: to the GemDOS drive and put that on the BSD machine. Hatari sees the GEMDOS drive as C: but will not boot MiNT from it. I was hoping because my ACSI drive was FAT16 and nothing fancy so I figured it would work.

Reason fro it not working is that MiNT replaces GEMDOS. MiNT's OLDTOSFS file system would call ROM TOS GEMDOS routines (which Hatari intercepts), but it's not enabled by default in MiNT and may even need patching to work. More info here:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=25567

If ACSI doesn't work, does IDE work? (IDE is supported by Falcon emulation)

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”