Hatari on tablet device

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Hatari on tablet device

Postby catmando » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:01 am

squall wrote:I'm also thinking of starting support for external controllers this weekend. I've done a little bit of reading and it seems like using an Input Method seems like the best way that works across all versions without rooting. Since I don't have any hardware, I'll be coding blind, so I wanted to get info from people who use external controllers:

- Is your external controller supported as an Input Method? If not, what method do you use to get it to work with other android apps?
- If I write a small test app, could you guys run it and take a screenshot of the outputted values (so I can have a drop down box of presets, eg archos pad, xperia, wiimote, etc) (or even better, if you already know what the keycode values are for each of the buttons, that would be best).

Thanks,

Most of the other emulators recommend an app called SixAxis to pair a PS3 bluetooth controller to the android device.

Also the Archos gamepad 1 & 2 have an Archos app that enables you to map touch controls to physical buttons on the tablet.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:06 am

Or if you have an OTG port you can plug in a wired 360 pad via the adapter cable.

Sent by my Note III
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Hippy Dave » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi
I don't have a tablet, but am curious if Hataroid can launch Hatari with command line options ?
Also, can Hataroid launch Hatari with a terminal for debugging ?

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:45 pm

It sounds like the SixAxis and X360 should support Input Method (ime) from what I've found online.

@HippyDave
- Hataroid can directly pass standard command line options to Hatari if needed (although not in the usual sense as Hatari is built as a library that Hataroid calls directly).
- What sort of debugging through the terminal are you thinking of? Android has logcat which we can print output to.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:17 pm

catmando wrote:Most of the other emulators recommend an app called SixAxis to pair a PS3 bluetooth controller to the android device.

Not needed on Xperia though since we (yes .. ) officially support it.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:35 pm

squall wrote:@catmando
- I'll try to see what else I can do with the input lag, but it's already doing: touch input events -> emulation frame -> render, so there might not be much room to move.

Maybe I just needed to downgrade my reactions to 1990 standards, set quite a good score last night with the sound on. :D

Sent from my ARCHOS GAMEPAD using Tapatalk
Atari STFM

braincell1973
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby braincell1973 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi squall , hataroid is a massive improvement to stoid and I'm having a lot of fun playing with it.

I have used hataroid a Samsung note 2 , jxd 7800 , and I'm currently typing on an Acer iconia tab , this tab has a full sized USB port so I plugged in a mouse to see if that works , if you hold the left mouse button it can move the atari pointer but the physical mouse buttons don't work.

I know you must have an epically long wish list but is it possible , at some point , to add physical mouse support through OTG ????

Many thanks lee

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:05 pm

braincell1973 wrote:Hi squall , hataroid is a massive improvement to stoid and I'm having a lot of fun playing with it.

I have used hataroid a Samsung note 2 , jxd 7800 , and I'm currently typing on an Acer iconia tab , this tab has a full sized USB port so I plugged in a mouse to see if that works , if you hold the left mouse button it can move the atari pointer but the physical mouse buttons don't work.

I know you must have an epically long wish list but is it possible , at some point , to add physical mouse support through OTG ????

Many thanks lee

+1 for this too
Atari STFM

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:16 pm

@catmando
- I've thought of something else I can try to see if it improves latency, but it requires a lot more work so I won't be able to do it until much later (since I'm no longer supporting froyo, I can move my main activity, input and rendering all directly into native code which may help a little).

@braincell1973
- In the upcoming version that I'm currently working on, you'll be able to map any Input Method control to most of Hataroid's functions, so you'll be able to re-assign mouse button presses to your mouse hopefully. I'm not sure how left mouse button works if you have to click to drag the pointer, but if it doesn't work, I'll look at adding support to the version after that.
*Edit - Sorry, just did a quick test with a bluetooth mouse, and it doesn't go through the input method, so I'll have to add it to my todo list for later.

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:11 am

New version should be trickling through the store:

There's been a lot of internal changes, so hopefully haven't broken the app for people.

version 1.40
- EXPERIMENTAL: External keyboard/controller support (through Android Input (IME) Devices)
- if you want to try, enable in options
- (I don't have any devices to test this with so send your feedback and issues and your presets if you want them included in the default - I can't add everyone's presets, but the most common ones will be added)
- add device sound buffer size option (user can adjust latency (but beware may cause crackling/popping if you set too low on some devices))
- reduce audio latency on lower frequencies
- improve audio sync after fast forwarding
- default to 44kHz audio on first install
- re-enable fast floppy access, please let me know if this toggle doesn't work for you
- show pasti warning if try to open .stx files
- swap obsession nudge/plunger keys
- fix full screen toggle aspect not resetting when disabling

Greyfox™
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Greyfox™ » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:28 pm

Will surely test it on my jxd s7800b gaming tablet and let you know if there are any bug issues :)
↓↓Click Banner to See More↓↓
-== Making Atari great once more ==-

MeowZedong
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby MeowZedong » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:08 am

Yay, this update seems to have fixed the crackling sound I experienced with higher sampling rates. (I have to move the latency slider all the way to the right, though).

Bug report: The mouse/joystick toggle became reversed in the last update, it shows the joystick icon in mouse mode and vice versa.

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:33 am

@MeowZedong
- What sort of device do you have? Having the slider all the way to the right means you're getting a latency of about half a second!

- Was the mouse/joystick the other way around in the previous versions? It's always been the mouse icon while in joystick mode (so you click on the mouse to switch to it) and vice versa :P I'll check an older version later to see.

MeowZedong
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby MeowZedong » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:58 am

squall wrote:@MeowZedong
- What sort of device do you have? Having the slider all the way to the right means you're getting a latency of about half a second!

I have the new Nexus 7, which should be fast enough, I guess. :) The crackling usually occurs after a few minutes and it goes away when I enter one of the menus. But it keeps coming back after a while. Only 44 kHz shows this behaviour, 22 kHz is fine.

squall wrote:- Was the mouse/joystick the other way around in the previous versions? It's always been the mouse icon while in joystick mode (so you click on the mouse to switch to it) and vice versa :P I'll check an older version later to see.

Hum, perhaps I'm wrong. But I'm definitely seeing a blue overlay on the up and right cursor icon when I move the mouse pointer around in direct touch mode. This wasn't there before. I have "map cursor keys" enabled as well.

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Thanks for the info MeowZedong.

Have you tried the sync sound option?

The buttons look broken in your screenshot. I just tried the map arrows keys on mine and it's broken as well, but worse, I see the joystick and mouse buttons at the same time :P I'll investigate a bit more and put a fix in for it.

* Edit, fixed and uploaded a new version, just wait for it to come through the store

MeowZedong
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby MeowZedong » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Quickest bugfix ever! :mrgreen:

squall wrote:Have you tried the sync sound option?

This option makes no difference for me. But I noticed something strange: Lowering the sound latency makes the crackling go away! I've set it to 12 now and everything is well.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:49 am

Have ordered some micro usb to standard usb adapters to see if I can get a usb mouse to work on my Androids, does Hataroid support mouse input yet?

Sounds was much better on Obsession with the recent two updates.
Atari STFM

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:19 am

@MeowZedong
- It's great that you can set latency back down. :) I'll investigate the sound stuff some more and see if I'm doing any wrong.

@Catmando
- Mouse doesn't work properly yet. I'll look at supporting external mice in the next version.
- Good to hear that audio is a bit better now.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:29 pm

squall wrote:@Catmando
- Mouse doesn't work properly yet. I'll look at supporting external mice in the next version.

Great, wired or bluetooth? Or both?
Atari STFM

Indus
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Indus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 pm

On my Archos Gamepad 2, the values of the left Analog pad are the same than the Digital one and right analog pad is not recognised.

One improvement which would be great will be to move the mouse pointer using the left or the right analog Pad.

Also, you should add an entry in the IME configuration to toggle the Autofire ;)
Indus also known as Megadeth (Pendragons/Prism) or Hardosoft (X-Factor/MAD).
All my Atari ST graphics are available on DHS website

Back on Atari and working on a new Atari ST game

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:57 pm

@catmando
- should work for both as long as your device detects it properly. (I can only test bluetooth mice though since that is what I have).

@Indus
- Thanks for trying out the controls. The IME devices only support digital controls. Your device driver must be mapping the analog pad to the same keycodes as the digital pad.
- I'm upgrading hataroid to the latest sdk so I can support mouse and immersive mode so hopefully I can properly support analog controls as well (if so, I'll add mouse movement option to that as well)
- I'll add autofire to the mapping in the next version.

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:28 pm

New version out (v1.50). I didn't get all the features I had planned in, but wanted to get this out for testing.

This is a major update so let me know if anything is broken for you.

- upgraded android sdk from version 9 (gingerbread) to version 19 (kit kat) (needed for some requested features)
- if it worked before for you, it should still run now
- if you have a hardware menu button on your device, you might not see the on-screen soft menu button anymore (the three dots).
- I can't do anything about this without some hacks that don't work on all devices.
- if you have kit kat, please test out immersive mode if you can (enable developer options in the settings and enable immersive mode) and let me know if it works or not since I can't test it out.

- save states support
- there are three integrated save state options:
1) user saves - you can save and load as many save states as you want through the menu
2) auto saves (optional setting) - the app will automatically save when you quit and ask you if you want to restore when you start again.
3) quick saves - this is like user saves, but instead of using it through the menus, you can map save/load onto a button on an external input device (like a joystick). This requires you to pre-select a slot (that you can change) to save/load from.

- this currently saves everything Hatari saves.
- I don't currently save android specific settings like screen zoom. If you want this please let me know.
- when you load a save state, this will apply the settings in that save state to your preferences so if something doesn't work, double check that your settings haven't changed due to loading a save state.

- added auto fire to input map

- I had a look at hardware mouse support. Although it works now, there's a couple of issues with it that I'm not happy with yet.
- I can't hide the android cursor (it's not currently possible unless you have custom firmware), so you'll have two cursors on screen.
- If the cursor goes to the edge of the screen, the android os clips the values, so I can't get mouse movement changes in those cases.
- What I plan to do later is to sync up the android cursor with the atari cursor (you'll still have two cursors) but it probably won't be as jarring.

MeowZedong
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby MeowZedong » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:05 pm

Installed the update 2 minutes ago! :D

squall wrote:- if you have a hardware menu button on your device, you might not see the on-screen soft menu button anymore (the three dots).

I can't see it either on my buttonless Nexus 7 2013.

squall wrote:- if you have kit kat, please test out immersive mode if you can (enable developer options in the settings and enable immersive mode) and let me know if it works or not since I can't test it out.

Awesome! If you can fix the menu button bug, I will test it asap.

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:56 pm

Sorry about the latest update.

I can't revert in the google play store, so I've had to disable the app for now until I look into the issue.
If the fix is going to be big, I'll upload the previous version for people who've already upgraded while I fix the issue.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:01 am

No issues with the latest version on my Archos gamepad. As stated in the changes I now need to use the 'select' button to bring up the menu instead of the '3 dots' method which was used previously. Other than that Obsession plays fine.
Atari STFM

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”