Hatari on tablet device

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Hatari on tablet device

Postby catmando » Tue May 13, 2014 6:25 am

I like the addition of the database to the recent update of the app, would it be possible to put the names of the games in a different column to the file name? so that you could either choose to see the menus by number or by alphabetical game name?

Cheers
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Tue May 13, 2014 11:51 am

Yeah, but it would need to be a different view mode toggle since many games can map to the same disk (you'll get a lot of duplicates if it's just a separate column). I'll add this to my todo list.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Tue May 13, 2014 11:53 am

squall wrote:Yeah, but it would need to be a different view mode toggle since many games can map to the same disk (you'll get a lot of duplicates if it's just a separate column). I'll add this to my todo list.
Sounds good. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Atari STFM

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Hippy Dave » Tue May 13, 2014 5:49 pm

There will be a new version of Hatari at some time. "NOTE: Memory snapshots are not interchangeable between different versions of Hatari. E.q. if you compile a newer Hatari, you cannot load your old memory snapshots back." ... Hatari manual.

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Tue May 13, 2014 10:49 pm

Cool! I'll integrate the new version once it's released and stable.
I was worried about save state compatibility between different versions of Hatari when I was implementing save states on Android.
I'll have to see how much has changed in the save data and if it'll cause any bugs if I try using the old data.
If the core data is still the same (eg hardware registers, memory, etc), I can easily load back old versions as I already have hacked support to do this.

rdemming
Atariator
Atariator

Postby rdemming » Wed May 14, 2014 5:23 am

I'm eager to try Hataroid on my Galaxy TabPro. I copied the TOS rom and the emulator boots to the green desktop. But now I want to mount a floppy but I can't find how to get to a menu to do that. There are no on screen buttons that pops up a menu and the pysiscal back button wants to quit Hataroid.
It is probably very simple but I can't find how to get back to the settings when emulation is running.

Robert

Edit: I read that I should press the "system" button but that does not work. My Galaxy TabPro has three buttons. The left button opens a list with open apps and a link to the task manager, the middle button goes to the home screen and the right button quits Hataroid. The Galaxy TabPro runs Android 4.4 (KitKat).

Edit 2: OK, it turns out that Samsung replaced the "menu" key with the "recent apps" key on Galaxy Tab 4 and Galaxy TabPro. The reasoning seems that most apps provide a "menu" button in the GUI already (see this review where they talk about the buttons). Seems Hataroid must be updated to provide a "menu" button in the GUI to make it work on recent Galaxy devices.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Wed May 14, 2014 12:04 pm

@rdemming
Have you tried long pressing (holding down) the apps button (the left button).
Samsung has hooked that up to the "hardware" menu button which is why you don't see the software menu button.

rdemming
Atariator
Atariator

Postby rdemming » Wed May 14, 2014 12:29 pm

squall wrote:@rdemming
Have you tried long pressing (holding down) the apps button (the left button).
Samsung has hooked that up to the "hardware" menu button which is why you don't see the software menu button.

Thanks, that did the trick. A long press on the physical "recent apps" button is indeed a physical "menu" button press. Why don't they write that in the manual of the device :roll:
Even at Samsung they do not seem to know this as quoted from a review on Android Central:

And interestingly, Samsung has finally killed the dedicated menu button, replacing it with a task-switching key. Samsung reps couldn’t comment on how legacy apps needing a physical menu key would be handled, though the number of Android apps still needing menu key functionality is relatively small these days.

This is my first Android device which I own for just three weeks thus I wasn't aware that a Galaxy TabPro had different button functionality that the older devices.

Robert
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

frail
Atarian
Atarian

Postby frail » Thu May 15, 2014 7:18 am

Hatari on nVidia Shield is awesome! Played some Oids and much fun was had. Really great way to play that game!

A question about nVidia Shield control mapping - anybody have any luck getting the left and right triggers to be acknowledged by Hatari? I got the left and right bumpers mapped to keyboard keys, but the no luck with the triggers .

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Fri May 16, 2014 11:43 am

@frail
I don't have the nVidia Shield, but I suspect the triggers are probably treated as analog inputs which Hataroid doesn't currently support (it's on the todo list).
For now, can the triggers be mapped to a digital button/key in the nVidia settings?

frail
Atarian
Atarian

Postby frail » Fri May 16, 2014 4:12 pm

I ended up using the Shield's Game Mapper utility to map screen touch areas to the buttons and triggers - works pretty well!

Jamesbeat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jamesbeat » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:20 pm

I agree- Hatari on the Nvidia Shield is amazing!

One problem that I have recently started experiencing though is save states not saving.

I suspect that my Shield has updated itself, because I know that this feature used to work.
My current Android version is 4.4.2

I have tried saving both to the internal storage and to the sd card, and it fails either way. The error message is 'Unable to save memory state to file'.

I checked the permissions, and Hatari does have permissions to write to the sd card.
Interestingly, when I try to create a new save folder, the folder does not get created.

I don't get an error message when I try to create a folder, it just doesn't get created.
This happens in both internal storage (expected, because Hataroid doesn't have permission to modify internal storage) and the sd card (unexpected, because the permissions say that Hataroid does have permission to modify the contents of the sd card).

I'm guessing this must be a permissions problem, but I'm stumped as to why it's happening.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:58 pm

Doesn't the latest Android prevent writes to external SD cards? I know my Note 3 has hassles like this as I can only do writes on the contents underneath the "Android/data" folder on the SD card since I upgraded to KitKat.

Sent by my Note III
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:05 pm

@Jamesbeat
We only have permission to write to arbitrary folders on the "primary" sd card (which is a section of your internal memory).
This is usually something like /sdcard which usually symlinks to something like /storage/emulated/legacy. Hataroid saves should work fine from there on Kit Kat.

I'll have a look at getting saves to work with the "secondary" sd card which is the real sd card on a kit kat device. But as MugUK said, we probably can only put saves in a very specific directory and even then, when you uninstall the app, this directory will also get automatically deleted by kit kat.

There's some hacks going around to write anywhere on the secondary sd card (eg by going through the system media scan service which has enough permissions), but they may not be reliable in future updates.

Jamesbeat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jamesbeat » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:07 pm

What a bizarre thing for them to do! Why wouldn't they allow writing to the secondary sd card?

Anyway, I made a new saves folder on the internal 'sd card' and it works perfectly, thanks :)

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:07 am

Any news on STX support coming to Hataroid soon?

Sent from my ARCHOS GAMEPAD using Tapatalk
Atari STFM

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:31 pm

@catmando
If I get some time this weekend, I can build an unsupported preview version from the latest code if people want to play around with it.
It won't be officially released until at least when Hatari 1.80 is officially released and stable since there's a lot of changes still going into their dev source.

It's also looking unlikely that old saves would be supported.
I have it loading old saves and running them except for disc access which will fail.
I haven't been able to successfully convert the old fdc save data across to the new format since too many incompatible changes have been done to it for the stx support (the emulation will currently fail when it tries to access the disc when using an old save).

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:09 pm

If people want to try out STX support, here is a preview build.
This preview will install as a separate app from the normal version, so you can have both the current play store version and this one side by side.

https://www.firedrive.com/file/E00D43E45AF44403

Note:
- This is unsupported, so please don't send bug or crash reports for this version.
- If you encounter problems with STX support, please try out the windows preview version and if it occurs in that, please reply to the Hatari preview thread (http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=26567)

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:55 pm

squall wrote:If people want to try out STX support, here is a preview build.
This preview will install as a separate app from the normal version, so you can have both the current play store version and this one side by side.

https://www.firedrive.com/file/E00D43E45AF44403

Note:
- This is unsupported, so please don't send bug or crash reports for this version.
- If you encounter problems with STX support, please try out the windows preview version and if it occurs in that, please reply to the Hatari preview thread (http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=26567)
Thanks will give it a test.
Atari STFM

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:29 am

Tested a few of my .STX images last night and can gladly say I encountered no issues and that the games played as normal, so well done for bringing this functionality to Hataroid and hope to see it implemented in the Google Play store version soon.

Cheers
Atari STFM

Jamesbeat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jamesbeat » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:13 am

I'd just like to report success in getting this to run on my Ouya.

In addition to the steps above, you need to enable the hardware mouse mode thingy in the input menu.
I can't recall exactly what it was called, and I can't get my wife off Rick Dangerous long enough to check :D

This is necessary so that you can use the mouse pointer to click on the virtual keyboard. Without it, you can move the pointer, but clicks don't register.

Jamesbeat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jamesbeat » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Additional info about the Ouya post above:

I got the on screen keyboard working by selecting 'Old Android hardware mouse behaviour' in the input menu.

This allowed me to use the Ouya's mouse pointer to click keys on the virtual keyboard.
Unfortunately, selecting this option breaks ST mouse control, so it looks as though you can have the virtual keyboard or the mouse, but not both at the same time.

This is perfectly understandable, and I can't think of any other way it could be done since the Ouya obviously doesn't have a touch screen.

Fortunately, Hararoid can use different input devices, so I'm hoping I will be able to get a bluetooth keyboard working with it.

If a bluetooth keyboard will work, then I won't need to use the onscreen keyboard, thus freeing up the mouse.

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:57 am

wow! It is very cool to have an STe emulator for Android! Let's hope I can make the iCade work with it :p
Trying to learn...

DAHstra
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby DAHstra » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:57 am

Just installed Hataroid on my Kindle HD. Very cool! I do want to know if anyone knows if there are plans to integrate mouse clicks into finger swipe moves so Dungeon Master can be played at a more practical speed?

dahstra.atari.org
"Feel the future. Speak the present. Know the past."

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:41 am

Do you mean clicking by touching the screen? if yes, it has been already done. Go to options.
Trying to learn...

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”