Hatari on tablet device

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Hatari on tablet device

Postby squall » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:39 am

I've pushed a new version to the store, but it takes a little bit of time to come through.

In the meantime, can anyone help test out this version to make sure you have the menu button again and that nothing else is broken.

Thanks a lot and sorry for breaking the last version!
Last edited by squall on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MeowZedong
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby MeowZedong » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Thanks squall, I downloaded the apk. Works like a charm (including Immersive Mode on Android KitKat!) and there are no new glitches that I'm aware of.

Some screenshots in fullscreen glory:

Image Image Image

:cheers:

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:01 pm

Any chance you can add chromecast capability to the app?
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks for help testing MeoqZedong, glad it works again.

catmando, I just checked up on chromecast and it looks like the easiest way to add chromecast is to let android handle it, but it will have an action bar at the top of the screen. Would that be ok? The other way will be for me to handle everything myself, but will be a lot more work.

If anyone comes across instances where Hataroid doesn't quit properly, can you let me know what settings you were using and if you can reproduce it? Thanks.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:30 am

squall wrote:Thanks for help testing MeoqZedong, glad it works again.

catmando, I just checked up on chromecast and it looks like the easiest way to add chromecast is to let android handle it, but it will have an action bar at the top of the screen. Would that be ok? The other way will be for me to handle everything myself, but will be a lot more work.

If anyone comes across instances where Hataroid doesn't quit properly, can you let me know what settings you were using and if you can reproduce it? Thanks.

I don't think the action bar would be a problem.

I did experience a bit of struggle to quit the app and some lag when running immersive mode of my Galaxy S3 (What is the benefit of immersive mode btw?)
Atari STFM

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:28 pm

Ok cool, I'll investigate chromecast further in a later version then (once the current problems with the sdk upgrade are sorted out).

Immersive mode only works only on kit kat and it allows the app to go full screen without any menu bars or anything else to get in the way (and you can bring them back with a swipe at the edge of the screen). Although I've never seen it in action myself :P

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:51 pm

squall wrote:Ok cool, I'll investigate chromecast further in a later version then (once the current problems with the sdk upgrade are sorted out).

Immersive mode only works only on kit kat and it allows the app to go full screen without any menu bars or anything else to get in the way (and you can bring them back with a swipe at the edge of the screen). Although I've never seen it in action myself :P
Ah, cool, now I understand. My Galaxy S3 is still on Jelly Bean v4.3, not on KitKat v4.4 yet :(
Atari STFM

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:08 pm

Tried a USB mouse connected to my archos gamepad and it works with Hataroid, but accuracy and speed of tracking need improving and matching. But its still impressive all the same. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my ARCHOS GAMEPAD using Tapatalk
Atari STFM

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:59 pm

My Micro USB to USB adapter turned up today so hopefully I can get my wired 360 controller working with my Note 3 :-)

Sent by my Note III
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:45 pm

I have try on a 30€ android netbook without touchscreen, hardware trackpad and keyboard
they have some problem with the trackpad mouse pointer accuracy (see the small video youtube link)

http://youtu.be/2FrRGLrptmc
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:29 am

@[ProToS] - Thanks for the bug report, the video was very helpful. It looks like the vertical speed is double for some reason on your device. I'm going to be looking at syncing the android cursor the the atari cursor in a later version so I'll look into it at the same time.

Sowden
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Sowden » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:21 am

Hey man. Holy cow, why did I only find out about this last Saturday!? This program runs great. I was using Stoid with my visual art amd was unhappy with its speed. But your app runs at full speed like a brease. I haven't tried a USB wired mouse and keyboard, but I can say that wired controllers work. I even used USB/BT Joycenter and plugged in my USB NES adaptor. Works great. Only snag is with a soft wireless keyboard. I use my tablet thats hooked up to my TV at home. I have this program called Droidmote. It uses your phone to make it work as a wireless mouse, controller, and keyboard on your tablet over a wi-fi connection. Good news is that the mouse is fully functional with Hataroid. But the keyboard is not. I can punch a letter long enough on my phone and maybe I'll get one response on my tablet using Hatariod. I understand that your still working out input problems and I think this one is quite a unique problem. But I figured I'd report it. Thanks for the great program man, I'm going to have to make a new demo now with my VJ art. I'll post it when its done. Cheers.

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:27 pm

@Sowden
Thanks for the feedback. I'll see if there is a trial version of DroidMote I can use to investigate this.
It's strange that eventually the key will get through. Do you have to setup input method's for this DroidMote to work and have they been enabled in Hataroid?

Look forward to seeing your VJ art.

Haven't had much time recently to work much on Hataroid, but I'm currently still working on input requests and fixes at the moment. (Also been experimenting on the side with midi which works ok for games, but needs a lot of work for music programs - or probably I just need a faster phone :P ).

Jamesbeat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jamesbeat » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:23 pm

I just want to say a huge thank you for this!
I've been struggling along with Stoid, but it's awful. No matter what I tried, I just couldn't get the keyboard to register numbers, so I was stuck on the menu on most disks.
I found Hataroid through this site via a Google search, not by searching in the Play store. I had to search by name to get it to show up, which obviously didn't work until I actually knew that there was an emulator called Hataroid!

While you're working on inputs, I do have a small feature request.

I'm using an Xperia Play (which I bought specifically to use for emulators, not for use as a phone). I am also getting an Nvidia Shield in the next week or two.

Like many people, I find touchscreen controls practically unusable for most games, which is why I am gravitating towards Android devices with physical controls for my emulation needs.

I can use the physical gamepad on my Xperia Play just fine with Hataroid, but when I switch from joystick to mouse, I still have to use the touchscreen to move the pointer.
This is fine for desktop use, but using it for games isn't so good. Interphase was very difficult to play, and point-and-click adventures are nearly impossible.

Would it be possible to add support for moving the mouse using the D-pad (or analogue stick on the Shield) when in mouse mode for those of us with physical game controls?

Stoid has this feature, which is about the only good thing I have to say about it.

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Hippy Dave » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Jamesbeat wrote:I just want to say a huge thank you for this!
I've been struggling along with Stoid, but it's awful. No matter what I tried, I just couldn't get the keyboard to register numbers, so I was stuck on the menu on most disks.
I found Hataroid through this site via a Google search, not by searching in the Play store. I had to search by name to get it to show up, which obviously didn't work until I actually knew that there was an emulator called Hataroid!

Would it be possible to add support for moving the mouse using the D-pad (or analogue stick on the Shield) when in mouse mode for those of us with physical game controls?

Stoid has this feature, which is about the only good thing I have to say about it.

Leave a comment about Hataroid, over at Stoid. :wink: :D

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:47 pm

@Jamesbeat

I think someone else requested controlling mouse with the joystick/dpad as well. I'll up the priority of this and try to do it soonish.

How do people want this to work for digital controls? Just straight joystick movement -> linear mouse movement, or some sort of acceleration (starts slow, then moves quicker the longer you hold it down). What does Stoid do and does it feel ok in Stoid?
I'll see how much work it is to support analogue properly which we can map mouse speed to more easily.

Jamesbeat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jamesbeat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:09 am

I'm certainly no expert, but a shortcut may be to just emulate the keypresses that can be used on a real ST to move the pointer without a mouse. Is it Alt and the arrow keys or something?
That may prove to be difficult to use, as I'm not sure if diagonals are possible, and it would make the 'key click' sound.

I guess the ideal solution would be as you say; start off slow and accelerate.

Every laptop that I have used that had a 'nipple' pointing device (the thing that looks like a pencil eraser in the middle of the keyboard) used this acceleration method.
Presumably, these big-name laptop manufacturers spent money to research this, so it probably makes sense to copy them.

The method used in Stoid is relatively crude- single speed, adjustable in the menu.
This makes the pointer move too slow, or makes it so fast that it's difficult to place the cursor accurately.

I'd just like to express my gratitude that you're giving your time to do this, and offering Hataroid free of charge.

If the 'job satisfaction' that you derive from this comes from knowing the pleasure that people get from your work, then you should know that I have been using Hatariod at every possible opportunity since I discovered it last night.

You also get the blame for making me exhausted all day at work today, because I lost track of time playing 'Hunter' in bed last night :D

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Hippy Dave » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:05 pm

One thing I noticed is that Hataroid has a help.html file, but no manual.html
http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/h ... anual.html

Jamesbeat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jamesbeat » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:10 am

Has anyone tried sideloading Hataroid onto the Ouya?

I just did, but with only partial success.

I couldn't find the .apk, so I made a backup from my Xperia Play using Titanium Backup. Perhaps this was what caused the problem?

Here's what happened:

It asked for the tos.img, but when I clicked 'ok' to browse for it, the menu flashed up and then disappeared.
I looked for the directory in which it was expecting to see the tos image (sdcard/hataroid) but it didn't exist. There was however, a folder called 'hatari' in the sdcard directory.
I ended up putting tos.img in sdcard/hatari, and then renamed 'hatari' to 'hatariod'.
I was then able to successfully boot into the desktop, but then I had the problem above: selecting any of the menus causes the menu to briefly flash up and then disappear, as if I had hit the 'back' button.

Any ideas?
Could this have been caused by my method of obtaining the .apk by using a backup from the Xperia Play?

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:07 am

@HippyDave
Thanks for the link, most of the options in hataroid have a small description built into it. Hataroid also doesn't use the SDL gui at all so we'll need someone to go through the manual and make it more relevant for inclusion into the android port. Probably better to do this once hataroid is more complete.

@Jamesbeat
A backup of the apk should be fine. On the ouya, do you have the following option in your system menu:
- Developer options -> Don't keep activities?
Can you try making sure it is disabled (not ticked) and see if that fixes the issue?

Jamesbeat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jamesbeat » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:21 pm

squall wrote:
@Jamesbeat
A backup of the apk should be fine. On the ouya, do you have the following option in your system menu:
- Developer options -> Don't keep activities?
Can you try making sure it is disabled (not ticked) and see if that fixes the issue?

Yup, seems to work now, at least I can access the file browser :D
I haven't had a chance to test it thoroughly on the Ouya, but I do have some related good news...

I doubt this will be relavant for many people, because the ST was not popular in the States, and the Nvidia Shield isn't available in the UK, but I bought a Shield today, and I'm delighted to report that Hataroid works on it.

There is a minor niggle with the mouse; the right analogue stick controls the Shield's mouse pointer, which controls Hataroid's mouse pointer.
The result is two mouse pointers on screen, moving at different speeds.
Not ideal but workable, and (to me at least) preferable to using the touch screen.

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:49 pm

@Jamesbeat
There's currently no known way to hide the android mouse cursor apart from using a custom android rom.
What I'm planning to do is sync up the atari cursor with the android cursor (you'll still have two cursors, but they'll be on top of one another). This will also help in the case were the android os is not giving me any mouse delta values when you move the android cursor to the edge of the screen.

Jamesbeat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jamesbeat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:18 pm

Syncing the two pointers would be just fine.
I've actually tried to do this by adjusting the atari pointer speed in the settings.
Two pointers wouldn't matter at all, the only problem I'm having is that one or other of the pointers reaches the edge of the screen before the other, which makes it a little awkward.
On the whole though, even as it is now, it is very usable.
I'm about half way through completing Kult, which is a (fantastic!) point and click adventure) right now, which shows how usable it is in its current state.

Edit:
I initially asked a question about a problem I was having with the menu.
It turns out that the problem was caused by Android, not Hataroid, and an update fixed it.

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:06 am

@squall
Do you consider pushing it to F-droid submission ?

http://f-droid.org/
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks for the link [ProToS],
I've never heard of F-droid, but I'll look into it.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”