Hatari on tablet device

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

DAHstra
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: Hatari on tablet device

Postby DAHstra » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:38 am

Cool! I poked around in there but I must not have understood what that feature was called.

dahstra.atari.org
"Feel the future. Speak the present. Know the past."

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:07 am

Squall, does Hataroid support iCade or more specifically these controllers http://www.nes30.com/features.html?

Thanks
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:54 pm

Hello,

I'm an happy user of Hataroid. I have a few reflexions (sorry if that has already been said, I haven't read all the thread).

- For the joystick, I think the best would be to use some kind of virtual joystick which automatically goes under your left thumb when you touch the screen (see this for example: dark avenger for android). This way you can't really loose it while playing. Maybe it's complicated to code...

- I can use hataroid with my sixaxis ps3 controller on my Nexus 7 tablet. I tried also to use them on my mk908 android TV hdmi key. There is no touchscreen, but I can't use the integrated mouse either which I control with a radio keyboard, so I can't click on the shortcut buttons, and the sixaxis game controller doesn't seem to work either (it's recognised in the option if I assign a new key, but I can't use it in game).

Otherwise it's a wonderful app :)

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:48 am

Sorry, been inactive for a while.

catmando, I've had reports that it works with iCade, but have no idea about those specific controllers.

farvardin, I'm still planning to redo the the virtual joystick at some stage. I haven't played that game, but I've played the r-type port on android and it sounds like it does a similar thing.
For the input issue, can you try enabling Settings -> Input -> Old Android hardware mouse behaviour and see if that helps a bit? Does the six-axis work in other games on the hdmi key device?

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:36 pm

the Big problem with iCade is to make it work under Android...on the last revision is like a nightmare....I suppose once is linked it should work fine on any app.
Trying to learn...

eeun
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby eeun » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:39 pm

farvardin wrote:- I can use hataroid with my sixaxis ps3 controller on my Nexus 7 tablet.

I'm able to use SixAxis and Hataroid on my Asus Memo Pad ME301T.

I might be able to wrangle access to my wife's Nexus 7 (2012 model) and will give that a try to see if I can get it working.

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:07 pm

squall wrote:For the input issue, can you try enabling Settings -> Input -> Old Android hardware mouse behaviour and see if that helps a bit? Does the six-axis work in other games on the hdmi key device?

thank you for the advice, it's working with this option on, now I can click with the mousepad on the interface, and I can also configure and use the sixaxis gamepad for playing games :)

The only drawback is I can no longer use the mouse on the Atari Gem, on the other hand I've configured the sixaxis so I can emulate the arrow pad and the control key so I can hit ctrl + arrow to move the mouse.

Chris23235
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Chris23235 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:09 pm

First of all, thanks for porting Hataroid over to Android, I really like the emulator, because now I can play the STE version of The Chaos Engine on my device, which is great. :)

I have installed Hataroid on a JXD7800B with Android 4.4. This device has 2 analog sticks, a D-Pad and several buttons, unfortunately Hataroid doesn't recognise the buttons or the D-Pad, when I try to map it with Hataroid's hardware mapping. I currently use the mapping software of the device, that allows me to map the onscreen controls to the buttons. Any chance to incorporate support for the JXD7800B?

Without support for the hardware buttons of the device, it would be great if hidden on-screen controls where still active. The reason is, I would love to hide the Joystick and Fire Button, but continue to use it via the mapping software, while at the same time I would like to continue to see the very useful onscreen keys. Right now the only thing I can do is set the onscreen controls to full transparency, but if I do this, I can't see the keys any more. It would be great to have visible keys and an invisible but active D-Pad.

One last thing, is there a certain STE Tos needed for emulation? I tried a Tos 1.06 UK Rom dump and had no luck, while the Tos 2.06 UK Rom runs flawless, but it's not as compatible as the 1.06 Rom.

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:45 pm

It should work with TOS 1.6 and 1.62 as well.
Trying to learn...

Chris23235
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Chris23235 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:15 pm

I know, but I think it doesn't work with all dumps of 1.6, the one I am using works fine in Hatari on Windows, but fails to work with Hataroid.

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Ok, I will test mine and I'll tell you.
Trying to learn...

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:25 pm

Thanks for helping test qq1975b!

Chris23235:
- What sort of errors are you getting with your tos file? I tried both 1.06uk and us and they both work fine. (I normally use 1.62uk when I'm running STE stuff).
Can you send me a link to the one that doesn't work?

- With your input issue, are you using the ime input methods? You need to switch to the correct one, otherwise it won't detect the buttons (I currently don't support the newer android api's which have better direct gamepad support, but it's in the todo list).
- select the input device (settings -> input -> switch current input device)
- enable input device (settings -> input -> use input method device)
- map the buttons to the keys you want (settings -> input -> configure input mapping)
From a google search, I noticed a lot of people on jxd7800 seem to use this program to fix input issues in android apps:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .keymapper

If these don't work, I can put in a temp fix for the next release to change transparency separately on the joystick controls.

Chris23235
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Chris23235 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:51 pm

Thanks for the quick answer squall, I just set up the emulator again and copied the TOS 1.06 image again to my SD-Card and now it works, no idea, why it hasn't worked before. While at it, I also tried TOS 2.05 German, 2.06 German and 3.06 German. They all ran fine.

As far as I understand the Gamepad sticks and keys on the JXD 7800 aren't IME based, so I guess this is the reason, why they aren't recognised.
The Tincore mapper you linked to is in fact a mapper like the built in mapper of the device itself, I use the stock mapper right now to map the onscreen controls to the buttons. I think including an option to set the virtual Joystick+button to 100% transparency while remaining the touch control active would be a fine solution for all Android devices with buttons out there, because they all come with some sort of mapping software and it's probably not as time-consuming as supporting newer Android Apis.
In the end here aren't so many devices with sticks and buttons out there, I guess the majority of the users will use touch controls.

EDIT: Wow just threw TOS 4.04 at Hataroid (I chose it as an "STE TOS") and the emulator switched into a Falcon mode. Is Falcon support incorporated in your Hataroid port? I didn't expected it, because the emulator didn't let me choose an Falcon TOS.

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:03 am

Mine works ok with TOS 1.06, 1.62 and 2.06
Trying to learn...

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:30 am

Chris23235 wrote:I think including an option to set the virtual Joystick+button to 100% transparency while remaining the touch control active

EDIT: Wow just threw TOS 4.04 at Hataroid (I chose it as an "STE TOS") and the emulator switched into a Falcon mode. Is Falcon support incorporated in your Hataroid port? I didn't expected it, because the emulator didn't let me choose an Falcon TOS.

- I'll add the transparency option as part of the next release

- That mode switch wasn't intentional ;)
Although falcon support has been partially in from the beginning, when I first did the android version, devices weren't powerful enough to run it (most still aren't) and the emulation wasn't as compatible so it was disabled and never finished.

It should partially work if you also enable the 68030 cpu and setup enough ram and cpu freq, but you may get some crashes/issues. I do remember I didn't finish setting up the video modes properly (so higher res screens might break) and I think the dsp might have been disabled as well. It's also using the old uae cpu core, but I wanted to do another binary with the win-uae core instead.
I just tried a couple of demos (tere ra'i and the only survivor 96k as well as the racer (dune)) and they ran ok (without sound).

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:11 pm

If I can help in testing something, let me know. I have 3 Android devices around :? (Nexus 7, Galaxy Tab 12.2 and a Pipo M6 pro) that have very different specifications and cpu power.
Trying to learn...

Chris23235
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Chris23235 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:24 pm

squall wrote:
- I'll add the transparency option as part of the next release

This would be great, many thanks.

squall wrote:- That mode switch wasn't intentional ;)
Although falcon support has been partially in from the beginning, when I first did the android version, devices weren't powerful enough to run it (most still aren't) and the emulation wasn't as compatible so it was disabled and never finished.

It should partially work if you also enable the 68030 cpu and setup enough ram and cpu freq, but you may get some crashes/issues. I do remember I didn't finish setting up the video modes properly (so higher res screens might break) and I think the dsp might have been disabled as well. It's also using the old uae cpu core, but I wanted to do another binary with the win-uae core instead.
I just tried a couple of demos (tere ra'i and the only survivor 96k as well as the racer (dune)) and they ran ok (without sound).

The emulator switches automatically to 68030, the 4 MB I had to enable manually. I only tried Llamazap and it boots up fine (no sound except keypress), but you can't start the game, because the Joystickemulation seems not to be implemented. But otherwise, it looks good. High Res also works fine.

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:43 am

Ok, I've added a separate transparency option for the joystick controls to the upcoming release.

The main change though is the addition of built-in MIDI support which is something I've personally wanted for a while.
Here's a video of it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-3_RlFPLoo

If you want to help test the preview version:

*Link expired*, I'll reupload at some stage.

I've tested this with many music programs (EditTrack, Sweet Sixteen, Band-in-a-Box, Cubase, Jazz guitarist and many more). Notator has some emulation issues (so the timing will be completely off unfortunately).

I've also tested it with a lot of games like (Police Quest 2, Bomb Jack, Leisure Suit Larry 2 and 3, etc). (I'm hoping to integrate a proper MT-32 emulator at some point in the future too).

Karate Kid 2 works, but I've noticed that it sounds off-key when played in conjunction with the ST ym sounds.
The midi output is in-tune with the mp3 posted by a user on one of the threads in this forum though. This also happens on Steem.
I suspect the original was played on a casio cz101 that was not tuned correctly (or there may be some sysex messages to tune the synth).
I've lost all my old MIDI cables so I'm just waiting for some to be delivered so I can test it out on real hardware.
So for Karate Kid 2, you should mute the ST sound output. I've included a default instrument patch for Karate Kid 2 (you should enable the option to ignore program changes as Karate Kid 2 resets the instruments on the title screen)

Does anyone have a real CZ-101 and can confirm it sounds out of tune with the ST's YM chip for Karate Kid 2?

Just some notes on the MIDI support since I haven't written any docs for it yet:

- It requires a powerful device
- Enable it in the MIDI section of the Settings
- It uses sound fonts. I've included a small one in the emulator, but you can use your own if you want higher quality sounds or sounds from a different synth
- If you get audio stutters, you can try the following to improve performance:
- Settings > Display -> Show Borders (DISABLE)
- Settings > MIDI -> Mute ST Sound
- reducing sound output rate (Settings > Sound -> Playback quality)
- reducing Max Polyphony (Settings > MIDI -> Max Polyphony)
- Settings > MIDI -> Interpolation Quality -> None
- Settings -> Sound -> Device sound buffer -> Increase it to max
Last edited by squall on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:55 pm

Chris23235 wrote:The emulator switches automatically to 68030, the 4 MB I had to enable manually. I only tried Llamazap and it boots up fine (no sound except keypress), but you can't start the game, because the Joystickemulation seems not to be implemented.

LLamaZap requires STE Joypad, it doesn't read ST joystick input. When you have compatibility issues, it's better to look into Hatari docs for clues:
http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/h ... ility.html

Chris23235
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Chris23235 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:16 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:
Chris23235 wrote:The emulator switches automatically to 68030, the 4 MB I had to enable manually. I only tried Llamazap and it boots up fine (no sound except keypress), but you can't start the game, because the Joystickemulation seems not to be implemented.

LLamaZap requires STE Joypad, it doesn't read ST joystick input. When you have compatibility issues, it's better to look into Hatari docs for clues:
http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/h ... ility.html

Tried this too, still no input, I guess the STE Joypad emulation simply isn't included yet.

@squall

Many thanks! I will try the preview version tomorrow

Chris23235
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Chris23235 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:12 pm

I tried the new version, the transparent onscreen controls are working as intended, many thanks again. Because of the way the mouse emulation works, it's automatically mapped to the right stick of the device when using the keymapper. With a mouse speed of 3 and the left mouse button mapped to the L1 button of the JXD, you can control joystick and mouse now with the device controls without having them visible onscreen. I mapped the space button onto a face button, so now I can play most games with mouse or joystick via the devices controls.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:13 pm

squall wrote:Ok, I've added a separate transparency option for the joystick controls to the upcoming release.

The main change though is the addition of built-in MIDI support which is something I've personally wanted for a while.
Here's a video of it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-3_RlFPLoo

If you want to help test the preview version:

http://wikisend.com/download/750442/com.RetroSoft.Hataroid.1602.signed.apk

I've tested this with many music programs (EditTrack, Sweet Sixteen, Band-in-a-Box, Cubase, Jazz guitarist and many more). Notator has some emulation issues (so the timing will be completely off unfortunately).

I've also tested it with a lot of games like (Police Quest 2, Bomb Jack, Leisure Suit Larry 2 and 3, etc). (I'm hoping to integrate a proper MT-32 emulator at some point in the future too).

Karate Kid 2 works, but I've noticed that it sounds off-key when played in conjunction with the ST ym sounds.
The midi output is in-tune with the mp3 posted by a user on one of the threads in this forum though. This also happens on Steem.
I suspect the original was played on a casio cz101 that was not tuned correctly (or there may be some sysex messages to tune the synth).
I've lost all my old MIDI cables so I'm just waiting for some to be delivered so I can test it out on real hardware.
So for Karate Kid 2, you should mute the ST sound output. I've included a default instrument patch for Karate Kid 2 (you should enable the option to ignore program changes as Karate Kid 2 resets the instruments on the title screen)

Does anyone have a real CZ-101 and can confirm it sounds out of tune with the ST's YM chip for Karate Kid 2?

Just some notes on the MIDI support since I haven't written any docs for it yet:

- It requires a powerful device
- Enable it in the MIDI section of the Settings
- It uses sound fonts. I've included a small one in the emulator, but you can use your own if you want higher quality sounds or sounds from a different synth
- If you get audio stutters, you can try the following to improve performance:
- Settings > Display -> Show Borders (DISABLE)
- Settings > MIDI -> Mute ST Sound
- reducing sound output rate (Settings > Sound -> Playback quality)
- reducing Max Polyphony (Settings > MIDI -> Max Polyphony)
- Settings > MIDI -> Interpolation Quality -> None
- Settings -> Sound -> Device sound buffer -> Increase it to max

Look forward to trying out the midi in games later.
Atari STFM

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:07 pm

Had a quick try of Bombjack on my Archos Gamepad 2, MIDI seems to work great with no slow down or stuttering.

Is there a way to have the MIDI music playing and still keep the SFX or do you have to sacrifice all sound to have MIDI music playing?

Also I noticed that this build doesn't support .STX like the last development build you made available, I had no problem playing the .STX files I tried it with.

Thanks for really pushing the potential of this app.
Atari STFM

squall
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squall » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:03 pm

@catmando
The SFX should still work (it works fine when I tested it). Did you enable the Mute ST Sound option? That option is really only for Karate Kid 2 since it sounds off-key (or if you have performance issues).

I'm actually still working on the Hatari 1.70 branch. There's a few things I still want to do before I properly switch over to the 1.80 branch which has STX support.
I'm also still deciding what to do about the save games since it's unlikely I can get the old ones converted across to the new format since the floppy access has changed so much.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:23 am

squall wrote:@catmando
The SFX should still work (it works fine when I tested it). Did you enable the Mute ST Sound option? That option is really only for Karate Kid 2 since it sounds off-key (or if you have performance issues).

I'm actually still working on the Hatari 1.70 branch. There's a few things I still want to do before I properly switch over to the 1.80 branch which has STX support.
I'm also still deciding what to do about the save games since it's unlikely I can get the old ones converted across to the new format since the floppy access has changed so much.

Ah, I didn't realise the midi plays in sync with the chip music, the chip music was drowning it out (it's a bit difficult to tell on the tablet speakers), would it be possible to adjust the levels of the midi and chip music individually?
Atari STFM

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”