A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

GhstWlf
Retro freak
Retro freak

Hatari and a real keyboard and mouse

Postby GhstWlf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:38 pm

Hello,
I would like to use a Keyboard and a Mouse (TT keyboard?) that is only used with hatari and not shared with the host system.
Or you could fix the mouse problems in hatari. I mono and windowed, the mouse is almost useless.

BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Hatari and a real keyboard and mouse

Postby BoNuS » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Sometimes it helps if you go to full screen (F11) mode and then back. Then the mouse works better (for me that is).
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
2 x Falcon 030 - a mint Atari TT - Mega STE - 2x STE - 1x Mega 2 - 2x STFM - 1 x STF - 3x SC1224 - 2x SM124 - 1x SM125 2x Portofolio+interface
- 3x 1435 monitor - 1 x Ult.Ripper cardridge - Mega 1,2,and 4 ( just to much Atari stuff)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:37 pm

GhstWlf wrote:Hello,
I would like to use a Keyboard and a Mouse (TT keyboard?) that is only used with hatari and not shared with the host system.

You want to use an ST/TT keyboard with a PC running Hatari? Take a look at this (very long!) thread.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

GhstWlf
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby GhstWlf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:58 pm

joska wrote:You want to use an ST/TT keyboard with a PC running Hatari? Take a look at this (very long!) thread.

Yes and No. I would like the atari keyboard and mouse to be exclusively used by hatari. The normal keyboard and mouse would not be able to interact with hatari except in the config menu (F12).

The alternative for me is to have mouse capture binded to a key (numlock?). This would not let the mouse leave the window.
I will try to see if 2xF11 solves my problem or not.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:24 am

Ok, I see. You can always connect the keyboard to a serial port on your PC (by using a MAX232 or similar), but I have no idea if Hatari supports such a thing.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:10 pm

GhstWlf wrote:I would like to use a Keyboard and a Mouse (TT keyboard?) that is only used with hatari and not shared with the host system.

Hatari just gets input events from SDL. If you have multiple e.g. USB keyboards, all of them should be usable for keyboard input, but I don't think SDL provides any keyboard identifier with which Hatari could detect which one is which.

GhstWlf wrote:Or you could fix the mouse problems in hatari. I mono and windowed, the mouse is almost useless.

And if your problem is which window has keyboard focus, another keyboard doesn't help with that at all.

I use fullscreen when I need to use mouse more (as it also removes other distractions), but if you don't want to use fullscreen mode, just toggle mouse grab.

If the default AltGr+m shortcut is awkward to use, you can bind it to another key in hatari configuration file. Easiest way to find the correct keycode for that is probably temporarily reconfiguring joystick keys and then just change in the config file the saved keycode from joystick entry to mouse grab. Hatari sources have also test binaries that can be used to find out correct SDL keycodes.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”