Hatari, Falcon and Adebug

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

megar
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Hatari, Falcon and Adebug

Postby megar » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:45 pm

I am trying to run Adebug under Hatari 1.6.2.
It works when I emulate an Atari STe, but when I emulate a Falcon (tos404), it crashes at launch with 11 bombs.
Anybody had more luck ? I tried not to to uncheck "patch Timer D, Tos", no change.
If I set the Cpu to 68040, Adebug crashes with 4 bombs.

The version of adebug I use is the one from http://sourceforge.net/projects/adebug/ ... p/download.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Hatari, Falcon and Adebug

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:52 pm

megar wrote:I am trying to run Adebug under Hatari 1.6.2.
It works when I emulate an Atari STe, but when I emulate a Falcon (tos404), it crashes at launch with 11 bombs.

I checked it quickly with the latest Hatari from Mercurial repository. If I use Hatari with the old UAE CPU core, Adebug bombs on startup, but when using the WinUAE CPU core, it starts fine.

According to Hatari output, it does some MMU operations, and MMU is supported only by the WinUAE CPU core:

Code: Select all

PMOVE: read CRP 0000000000000000
PMOVE: read CRP 0000000000000000
PMOVE: read TC 00000000
PMOVE: read TT0 00000000
PMOVE: read TT1 00000000
PMOVE: read MMUSR 0000

(I think in the binary releases, the WinUAE CPU version of Hatari is named "hatari_falcon".)

megar wrote:If I set the Cpu to 68040, Adebug crashes with 4 bombs.

According to its readme file, it doesn't support 040 or 060 yet.

megar
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby megar » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:48 pm

Thank you very, VERY much !
Enabling the new winUAE emulation layer solved my problems. I was thinking that to switch the emulation engine, you just have to tick the "Slower but more compatible CPU" in the options. I was wrong.
I just build Hatari on cygwin, with my patch viewtopic.php?f=51&t=20415#p216833 (i need it !). And it works with Adebug.
Now I will be able to debug my program on Falcon.

Again, thank you !!

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:29 pm

megar wrote:Enabling the new winUAE emulation layer solved my problems. I was thinking that to switch the emulation engine, you just have to tick the "Slower but more compatible CPU" in the options.

That option just switches the CPU core to more cycle accurate mode, it doesn't change the CPU core. :-)

While WinUAE CPU core has MMU and better 030 support, it's ST/STE support still sucks and it's lacking a bit in the Hatari debugger support, so I would recommend using old UAE core when that works OK.

With both cores there are some things which aren't quite cycle accurate, I think FPU instructions are worst ones.

megar wrote:I just build Hatari on cygwin, with my patch viewtopic.php?f=51&t=20415#p216833 (i need it !). And it works with Adebug.
Now I will be able to debug my program on Falcon.

Any other debugger that on 030 tries to use MMU (like Templmon), needs also WinUAE core.

Why do you want to detect that program is running under Hatari? If there's some issue with its emulation, please report it. :-)

Note also that if you take the latest Hatari sources from the Mercurial repository, you don't need to patch them to detect Hatari, you can use NatFeats API for that if you run Hatari with "--natfeats yes". Repo version has also added "step" & "next" convenience commands to the Hatari's own debugger and fixed some issues in code profiler, conditional breakpoints etc.

megar
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby megar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:18 pm

Well since you're asking: I really need emulator detection, and this is not to circumvent a bug, or limitation in Atari/Steem, etc.
I am developping the software manager for the hxc floppy manager. It is basically a floppy drive emulator. Since the HxC hardware is not emulated under Steem/Hatari, my software has to detect it is run under an emulator, so I can use another code path: my code "emulates" the HxC emulator.

I develop both on Steem/Hatari and I don't want two different ways to detect the emulator. That's why I though than the good old Pacifist way was great : because it was standard. I have a mercurial queue to apply my quick patch to implemement "standard emulator detection", so I can work with the same binary on Hatari/Steem/real Ste.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:25 am

megar wrote:That's why I though than the good old Pacifist way was great : because it was standard.

To my knowledge, only real standard for emulator detection is NatFeats API. That is implemented at least by Aranym and Hatari, and supported at least by EmuTOS and FreeMiNT.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”