A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

Renaud
Atarian
Atarian

Captain Blood - internal spaceship clock

Postby Renaud » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:36 am

Hi,

I've encoutered a problem with "Captain Blood". Everything works perfect except one little but very annoying bug : the game always start with a time superior to fourty minutes.

As a consequence, the game can't be played because :
- time is essential in the game, you have to find duplicates in a limited amount of time
- you can only load your saved game in the first 5 minutes of the game, so for now you can only save and never reload

I've tried numerous roms : they all have the famous "shaky hand" problem, there's only one rom that works fine (but with the problems I've just described), it's the one found in the klapaudius compilation disk which can be found on the Captain Blood Legacy blog :
- rom : http://bloodark.free.fr/steem/BloodSteemReady.zip
- blog : http://captainbloodlegacy.blogspot.fr/ (announcing a new updated version of the original game in 2012 :-))

The rom works perfect in xsteem (clock starts at 0) but there's no sound on linux.

Hope this can help improve hatari (which is already an excellent emulator) and have this game playable (I would love to finally see the end of this game !!).

Regards,
Renaud

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Captain Blood - internal spaceship clock

Postby npomarede » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Hello

does it change something if you disable real time clock emulation before starting the game (press F12 an go in 'system options') ?

In the game, how do you see this clock value not being 0 at start ?

Nicolas

Renaud
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Renaud » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:51 pm

npomarede wrote:Hello

does it change something if you disable real time clock emulation before starting the game (press F12 an go in 'system options') ?

In the game, how do you see this clock value not being 0 at start ?

Nicolas

Hello,

No, it doesn't change anything. I've tried activating/deactivating several options, to no avail.

You can see the game's clock when you're in cockpit view (click anywhere on the bottom left of the screen to go to the cockpit view).
It's displayed at the middle top of the screen, under the X/Y coordinates. Each time I start the game it shows 69.XX and goes up from there (as if 69 minutes had already passed).

It might be linked to the original game's protection, but it runs ok in xsteem with this rom.

Renaud

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:17 pm

I can reproduce the problem under Hatari with different TOS versions and the fact that it works under Steem with the same disk/TOS.
So far, I don't know the cause for it ; I don't think it's part of the protection, but maybe some starting values that differ in the emulation.
I will try to give it a better look later.

Nicolas

Renaud
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Renaud » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:52 pm

npomarede wrote:I can reproduce the problem under Hatari with different TOS versions and the fact that it works under Steem with the same disk/TOS.
So far, I don't know the cause for it ; I don't think it's part of the protection, but maybe some starting values that differ in the emulation.
I will try to give it a better look later.

Nicolas

Forgot to say I had used TOS 1.02 (us or fr). I think it didn't work well with other versions of TOS (graphics not displayed properly, but it may have been with different roms).

Good to know you can reproduce the problem.

Regards,
Renaud

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Hello
the problem was related to an error in the emulation of the keyboard's internal clock.
It was fixed in the current devel version (which you can compile if you want) and will be in the next release of Hatari.

Nicolas

Renaud
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Renaud » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:17 pm

npomarede wrote:Hello
the problem was related to an error in the emulation of the keyboard's internal clock.
It was fixed in the current devel version (which you can compile if you want) and will be in the next release of Hatari.

Nicolas

Just tested with the devel version and it works perfectly :-) Great !
Congratulations for the really quick patch.

Renaud

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”