A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

xonox
Atarian
Atarian

Problem with selecting colour mode under Mac

Postby xonox » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Quite a newbie here.
Haven't used Hatari before and haven't used an Atai ST more than a few hours in my life. Read a lot on them though.

Seems that when changing the screen type to monochrome in the options, the emulator crashes when i click reset as suggested. The workaround i found is to save the configuration at the default folder and default filename right after switching to monochrome. Them i shutdown and restart the emulator and now it works in monochrome.

I can provide the error report details if needed here. I'm a macbook pro with 10.6.8.

I hope to learn to use an ST properly.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Problem with selecting colour mode under Mac

Postby Dal » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:26 am

MOD NOTE: Split from "Mac porting of Hatari" thread
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:40 pm

xonox wrote:Quite a newbie here.
Haven't used Hatari before and haven't used an Atai ST more than a few hours in my life. Read a lot on them though.

Seems that when changing the screen type to monochrome in the options, the emulator crashes when i click reset as suggested. The workaround i found is to save the configuration at the default folder and default filename right after switching to monochrome. Them i shutdown and restart the emulator and now it works in monochrome.

I can provide the error report details if needed here. I'm a macbook pro with 10.6.8.

I hope to learn to use an ST properly.

Xonox,

You are switching the screen type correctly. I rarely switch to monochrome since I do not have any mono games. However, when I switched the monitor type to mono using the Hatari OS X preference screen, it crashed on my system just like you said. I am running 10.8, but you have the same problem in 10.6.8.

Anyway, I did find another workaround. If you use Hatari's built-in menu (either F12 or fn-F12 depending on your Mac's keyboard), click Atari screen and set the monitor type to Mono. Click "Reset machine" from the main menu and click the Ok button.

Hatari will then reboot into monochrome without changing your default Hatari configuration file. You may hear a constant annoying clicking sound. Simply press the space bar and that sound will go away. That sound occurs on an ST when it thinks a key is stuck.

Special Mac specific keys to remember:
Command-M: keep mouse within Hatari window
F12 (or Fn-F12): Hatari built-in (non OS X-native) menu
Command-F: Fullscreen (Since the default ST resolutions were 320x200 (ST low), 640x200 (ST medium), and 640x400 (ST high) are so much smaller than today's monitors, I find it useful to put Hatari into fullscreen when playing a game.

While I am a satisified Mac owner now, my favorite computer will always be my Atari 1040ST. Do not be afraid to ask questions.

Bob C

Kirkman
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Kirkman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:44 am

darwinmac wrote:Special Mac specific keys to remember:
Command-M: keep mouse within Hatari window
F12 (or Fn-F12): Hatari built-in (non OS X-native) menu
Command-F: Fullscreen (Since the default ST resolutions were 320x200 (ST low), 640x200 (ST medium), and 640x400 (ST high) are so much smaller than today's monitors, I find it useful to put Hatari into fullscreen when playing a game.

I have been an occasional Hatari user for several years now, but didn't know about those shortcuts (besides f12). Very handy!

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm glad you found the shortcuts helpful. There's a complete list in Hatari's online manual at:

http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/h ... _shortcuts

If you're using a Mac, simply use the Command key instead of the AltGr key. If you're in the US, you won't see an AltGr key even on a PC since I think that key is used to access the international characters. For the function key shortcuts, you may have to hold down the fn key depending on how your Mac is configured.

Honestly, I'm not sure how the ST keys that are mapped to Scroll Lock, Page Up, Page Down, and Print Screen are mapped on the Mac. Since I only use Hatari to play games, I haven't needed those keys.

Bob C

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:21 am

darwinmac wrote:You are switching the screen type correctly. I rarely switch to monochrome since I do not have any mono games. However, when I switched the monitor type to mono using the Hatari OS X preference screen, it crashed on my system just like you said. I am running 10.8, but you have the same problem in 10.6.8.

Anyway, I did find another workaround. If you use Hatari's built-in menu (either F12 or fn-F12 depending on your Mac's keyboard), click Atari screen and set the monitor type to Mono. Click "Reset machine" from the main menu and click the Ok button.

Hatari will then reboot into monochrome without changing your default Hatari configuration file.

Hatari OSX GUI is contributed by Hatari users, it's not maintained by Hatari developers, as none of them has OSX. But you could report the issue to hatari-devel mailing list and maybe one of the Hatari OSX users will contribute us a patch to fix the issue.

(The internal GUI works as that (and the python GUI) are something that we can test ourselves.)

darwinmac wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure how the ST keys that are mapped to Scroll Lock, Page Up, Page Down, and Print Screen are mapped on the Mac. Since I only use Hatari to play games, I haven't needed those keys.

Hatari keybindings are fully configurable. Keyboard shortcuts can be configured from the hatari.cfg file emulated Atari keys using a keyboard mappings file. Hatari sources contain test program (sources) for finding out what (Atari scan codes and host SDL key values) one needs to put into latter one.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”